Why become a member? ×

the pay2play whinge

christhammer666

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1479725766' post='3178694']
@lozz they did a headline tour abroad last year and lost a fortune
[/quote]

So their plan is to go and do a support tour abroad this year, and lose a fortune upfront?

I take all the points made above that this seemed to be normal practice in days gone by, but I can't see any way round the simple logic that if you're stumping out six grand to get on the tour then you have to be reasonably certain that you can make six grand back. The fact that they lost a fortune on their last tour doesn't fill me with confidence - I would be asking very serious questions about what they plan to do differently this time. Make sure they've got a credible idea of what their expected return is, and don't take "great exposure" for an answer!

Most likley its going to be at a loss money wise. If there are 4 in the band its probably going to be about £2-2,500 each all in.

You might pay that to go on an expensive holiday and just sit staring at a pool/beach ect for a couple of weeks and not know whats going on Eastenders.

If you belive in the band and the music then I still say have a go. In terms of promoting the band the alternative is the usual avenues.

£2,500.00 is a lot of lolly short term but long term its not reall worth worrying about. It could be the difference between lift off and standing still. The experience gained alone will be something to talk about for many years if nothing else. Great rock and roll stories and all that.

I guess if one of the other band members wants you to fund their share then in this senario then of course, absoultley not.

But............

If you dont buy a lottery ticket you wont win the lottery.

Most important question to ask yourselves is "Is the main band's audience our potential audience?". If it is (and you have to be honest with yourselves about it), then Bassjim makes good points. However, no point in being the support band the punters ignore because they're waiting for the people they paid to see, no matter how prestigious the gig.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1479724330' post='3178671']
I'd say this is pretty normal..... I'm booking theatre gigs for next year where I have to pay a % up front for the hire of the theatre/staff/tech crew. We'll sell tickets and make good money on merch..... same thing.
[/quote]

No thanks,

I play for people that pay me.N ot the other way around.

Blue

TBH after reading the above posts, if it was me (at a younger age) I would go for it. The analogy of a 2 week package holiday by the pool sums it up perfectly. The memories of a "big" tour will last a lifetime and even if you sell a couple of hundred CDs and T shirts it all helps bring the cost down a bit.

Ask yourself in 20 years time when you're back in civilian life, suited and booted, behind a desk, "wish I'd gone on tour with the lads, what a laugh that would have been!"

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1479724330' post='3178671']
I'd say this is pretty normal..... I'm booking theatre gigs for next year where I have to pay a % up front for the hire of the theatre/staff/tech crew. We'll sell tickets and make good money on merch..... same thing.
[/quote]

I guess the big difference in your case is that once you've hired the theatre and associated crew, the night, and its success, are very much in your control. You know how much effort you have to put into publicising each show to be confident of selling enough tickets to break even, and you can probably predict approximate merch sales based on previous shows in that area. In the OP's case, they're always going to be the support band on this tour, so they'd effectively be investing a hefty sum of money only to relinquish total control of the operation. If the headline act can't turn a profit on the shows then I wouldn't expect the fallout to be any better for the supporting band(s).

Maybe this is just my inner control freak coming out...obviously if the headline act have got fans champing at the bit to buy tickets everywhere then things could work out just fine, but I'd want to be confident of that before committing six grand to it!

£6000 is actually pretty cheap for a buy on considering it is a 9 date tour (although I wonder if the figure is significant to the genre - do the maths!)

I'd be looking to your record company for advice. That's some of what they are there for after all; and if they can't supply it, I be pondering the wisdom of actually being signed to them.

This would be my check list:

1. Check the popularity of the band and the venues being played. They might be using the buy on to finance a tour into less tried and tested areas for them.

2. Find out what the plan and deal is if any gigs are cancelled.

3. Find out who else is going to be on the tour. Personally I'd only consider a buy on if it meant my band was going to play immediately before the headliners. There's no point in spending all that money only to find that you are opening a four band package and mostly playing to no-one.

4. Make sure you have loads of merchandise to sell. That's where you are going to make some of your buy on fee back, and that's what helps your potential fans remember who you are after the gig is over.

Also I'd be looking for some sort of contribution from the record label. If it's not forthcoming them maybe they don't consider being on the tour good value for money as regards promoting your band.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1479813324' post='3179424']
Make sure the main band are not skimming your profits on the merchandise.

Ensure you get a good pitch, where you'll be seen. Preferably beside the main band's merchandise area.
[/quote]

Aslo check if the venues will be taking a cut of your merch. Some charge 10% for the onerous task of setting up a table and allowing you to sell a few cds.

Assuming you go for it and pay upfront, what's the deal if one of the headline band members falls ill, or does a Zappa and falls off stage and breaks a leg and the tour is cancelled ? How easy would it be to get your money back ?

Seems to me that you need to look at the fine print. The devil is always in the detail and usually only a lawyer can find it