Why become a member? ×

Sting/Vibrato

Funky Dunky

I just can't do it, Captain!

Specifically the kind where you very quickly slide between two frets. I get lots of string noise and next to no notes! Any advice, links or videos to help with this, please? I'm trying to add some soulful feel to my playing and being able to do this would help. I'm sure the problem is in my wrist action and I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong or how to correct it. It's getting beyond frustrating. :(

I think you are talking about 'Shake'.
Marlowe DK covers this at about 4:00
(FunkyTrills and Shakes - All the Video is worth watching)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VltgV3ZsCvo[/media]

He also covers the various vibrato techniques.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmRgkL8hPg[/media]

The 'Shake' is still a kind of trill, so it still has to have note value to sound in the groove. (8th/16th's Demi Semi Quavers etc)
Just random speed shakes can sound messy and not funky at all.

Edited by lowdown

Stick with it...it is pretty tricky as you need to be very quick and precise and depending on which finger you use...can put you 'out' of position.

The best at it, IMO... are Alex Al and Ethan so follow them.

Thumb behind is best and the first 5 frets are a real bu**** but it is one of those things you have to put the time in.
Not many players can pull it off well...

Don't try and move between the two notes as fast as you possibly can. The slide doesn't have to be super fast to sound good. Come up with a slow funky groove where you can feel it and work with that. Also, try keep your fretting hand nice and relaxed.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1478713339' post='3171150']
I think you are talking about 'Shake'.
Marlowe DK covers this at about 4:00
(FunkyTrills and Shakes - All the Video is worth watching)This. For me and I'm sure lots of bassists, it's were you play them also. That comes from listening and musical instinct. I've listened to so many great soul vocalists and that's where I feel my learning of vibrato in its many forms comes from.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VltgV3ZsCvo[/media]

He also covers the various vibrato techniques.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmRgkL8hPg[/media]

The 'Shake' is still a kind of trill, so it still has to have note value to sound in the groove. (8th/16th's Demi Semi Quavers etc)
Just random speed shakes can sound messy and not funky at all.
[/quote]This. For me and I'm sure many bassists it's where you play them. It comes from listening and musical instinct.I've listened to so many great vocalists, and that's where my learning of vibrato in its many forms comes from. Where Anita Baker placed her vibrato was ingrained into me.

Edited by bubinga5

Do you mean a trill (swiftly varying between two adjacent notes a semitone apart) or actual vibrato (where pitch usually varies by a lot less than a semitone)? If you're talking about a trill, strike the note and hammer on and off (either a fret up or a fret down) swiftly. There's a limit to how long it will sustain, but it works. It's very tricky to slide between two fretted notes - buzz is almost inevitable as you cross the fret and the pressure on the string is released momentarily. Applies especially if you use roundwounds. Vibrato much easier on a fretless - you mention Sting. He plays fretless and would, I suspect, use one for a song that demands vibrato.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1478797810' post='3171744']
Do you mean a trill (swiftly varying between two adjacent notes a semitone apart) or actual vibrato (where pitch usually varies by a lot less than a semitone)? If you're talking about a trill, strike the note and hammer on and off (either a fret up or a fret down) swiftly. There's a limit to how long it will sustain, but it works. It's very tricky to slide between two fretted notes - buzz is almost inevitable as you cross the fret and the pressure on the string is released momentarily. Applies especially if you use roundwounds. Vibrato much easier on a fretless - you mention Sting. He plays fretless and would, I suspect, use one for a song that demands vibrato.
[/quote] I think Dan when he says Sting, it's a term for a trill/vibrato etc. Yeah i had never heard of it either.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1478797810' post='3171744']
[/quote]

I can trill fine, and for now that's the closest I can get to a sliding vibrato so I do that instead.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1478811069' post='3171899']
Being an ex guitarist I thought vibrato was the slight bending and releasing of a note, and what the guy is calling a trill is a hammer on/off. Sliding back and forwards over two frets is pretty much the same thing.
[/quote]

hmmm the technique is a slide and used to emulate a synth pitch bend. A standout example of that is Nate Watts slides on 'I wish' and involves going between the two frets or over it if speed is critical
Hammer-on is a hammer -on and will sound completely different.
Vibrato is a relevant term but tends to be slower. The type of thing the term 'sting' relates to is a very fast slide and Scott D explains why he calls it that... but not really convinced of its origin.
The way he uses it is as a fast slide , but he will also throw in bends as well... as you put too many in to be able to use a slide/vibrator technique in a run. Not enough time to do that.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478856590' post='3172115']
hmmm the technique is a slide and used to emulate a synth pitch bend. A standout example of that is Nate Watts slides on 'I wish' and involves going between the two frets or over it if speed is critical
Hammer-on is a hammer -on and will sound completely different.
Vibrato is a relevant term but tends to be slower. The type of thing the term 'sting' relates to is a very fast slide and Scott D explains why he calls it that... but not really convinced of its origin.
The way he uses it is as a fast slide , but he will also throw in bends as well... as you put too many in to be able to use a slide/vibrator technique in a run. Not enough time to do that.
[/quote]

'Sting' is just Scott's term for it. As you said, he explains why.
Although it's a kind of Trill, it's more akin to the 'Shake' that Trumpet players use between two notes, especially on screamers.
The theory of it is not difficult, but in practise, it can sound unfunky.
Certainly needs to be practised before it sounds natural, and not sloppy.