Why become a member? ×

Aguilar 2x12 DB or GS?

JPJ

Thinking of going down the route of an Aguilar 2x12 to pair with my AG500SC but the question is, which one. If I went on looks I'd get the GS, but I know a lot of people rate the DB series. Anybody got real life experience of both who'd be kind enough to enlighten me?

The DB series have more mid but this is not unkind from the 'ceramic' chassis'.
The speakers are the same units in both, but I found the GS tune very big down low but that swamps the mids in the cab.
I loved the GS with new strings and a good band mix but it was a struggle thereafter, for me. The DB had a more usuable tone..more like the TKS units.

For me the cut off on the GS is too low and you have to have the tweeter but even so, without new strings, the cross-over seems too far off the tune of the cab.

I've owned both, including a GS212 and I'm pretty sure I ran an AG500 into the GS as well.

The GS does deliver a very strong low end but can also hit great highs. Paul Turner uses the GS cabs for his major gigs and gets an amazing slap tone from them paired with a DB751 head.

The DB is a bit more traditional 'old school' sounding but can still work with all kinds of music.

In general I'd say the DB range are a bit more adaptable than the GS but you really need to try and hear both together if you can.