Why become a member? ×

Shonky badly made/designed practice combos

Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478203168' post='3167583']
The one I tried did while playing on the e string. Sounded like poss the grill but we couldn't get it to stop doing it in the store and I had the guy over helping me out [b](think he thought i was a right picky git[/b] lol but was very helpful). It seemed like a well put together little combo too, compared to others so I was disappointed tbh. If it hadn't of rattled I would of been happy to buy that model.
[/quote]

And the Cube is well built but the sound is "Fake"? Its a small practice amp, perhaps you are too picky. Ha ha. Only joking, I dont know you.

I have a 300w Trace Elliott which I leave at the church because of the weight, solid and reliable (I'm sure it's more than 300w....)
A new Fender Rumble 100w whch for the money is light and very powerful.
A Markbass CMD151 combo whch is brilliant.

Happy boy.. well I was :(

The PJB Double4 is the best sounding of the tiny practice amps I've had. It's not loud, but sounded great. I've got an old Behringer BX108, I think it's called. Had it about 15 years and that sounds good too. Solid with no rattles. I've hammered it too, volume maxed, octaves, filters and low C's and it's still going strong.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478170634' post='3167219']
Bit of a rant maybe but I have to say this.
I've been looking for a new little combo to take to my girlfriends and back and jamming with a guitar playing mate. Which I thought would be an easy task.

However many of the new relatively little combos i tested while all sounding very good had horrible internal vibrations and I really wasn't playing them loudly.
I had to return a new orange crush 50 because it had a horrible vibration/resonance thing going on in the higher notes.
I tried an ampeg ba110v2 And the larger 112 version both sounded great but had odd rattling at fairly low volumes, I had the guy pull the grills off just to be sure too. I tried a tc electronics bg250 2x8 and again it sounded great but it rattled badly to a point I felt it must be broken.

So I went to another store and tried out a few small ashdown's the triple a and another one I think was a perfect 10 again on certain notes one had a vibration and the other I think the perfect 10 didn't rattle but hissed badly.
So I tried a hartke hd50 sounded great bar on the open e it sounded broken I thought the speaker must have an issue. Someone working in the shop agreed that one wasn't right.
My girlfriend has a fender rumble 100v3 the back amp plate rattles badly at living room volume levels even though the rest of it seems very well designed.
At that point I gave up. Ended up buying an ancient mag 250 combo which doesn't have any issues even at much higher volumes.

I've had various combos in the past a hartke a25, carlsbro 90bg, Roland cube, trace elliot and more. And they were very solid no issues but older heavier designs, it seems though many of the little practice amps now are really badly made they just don't feel solid and some of them are not cheap either.
Surely you don't need to spend a stupid amount on a combo that can actually handle bass these days without rattling etc.

I know people on here will have these combos mentioned and probably had no issues am I just getting lemons or is it somehow me lol.
[/quote]Perhaps your technique is too aggressive and loud?

ive got an ibanez sound wave 65 as my practice/acoustic amp. it's old a well built and doesn't rattle at all.
as mentioned before, cheap combos are exactly that. my first one i killed fairly swiftly.

cubes are good and reliable. you say you don't like the tone, but is that really an issue if it is just to take to your girlfriends house? to be fair, when i used to go to my GFs (now wife) house playing bass was very much the last thing on my mind....

Edited by RockfordStone