Why become a member? ×

Practice Combo to also use for small gigs?

yorks5stringer

I have a MB 801 45 watt combo which is great for home and acoustic practice: small footprint and loud enough to play along with Cd's and YouTube off the laptop patched through the radiogram...

I also have a MB CMD 112 P which gives me 300 watts on its own or paired with a NY 112 cab the full 500watts for gigs.

I'm in an Americana Band (vox X2, 1 mouth harp, 3 acoustic guitars) with no drums so quite low volumes but my 801 is sometimes not quite enough and the CMD 112 seems overkill unless I'm with the Soul Band which has drums , keys, horns etc etc.

I'm hankering for something with a small footprint that I can practice with but is also maybe 100watts so I can use it with the Americana Band without worrying it is not too quiet. The PA for the Americana band is only small and the mixer is full, so can't DI/lineout into it.

Any suggestions, wondering about the Phil Jones 100 watt Bass Cub but some reviews seem to say it is quite quiet? I don't want anything more than a 10" speaker otherwise it gets too big for home use....

Honestly, I used my CMD121P in a 3 piece of Guitar, bass and 3 x vox. I just turned the volume down. In my opinion it's perfect for what you need and with the comfort of more welly on tap should you need it. Plus they sound great.

If you really MUST have a smaller footprint then I've used (but not owned) a Markbass 802, as suggested above, and they are excellent too. But do you really need to spend £500ish on a third combo?

Or is it just that GAS has struck? :) I know the feeling only too well.

EDIT. The footprint saving isn't that much between the 2 Markbass combos. The 802 is not as wide as the 121 but is a fair deeper.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

GAS is GAS is GAS.

The CMD121P is the standard go to combo suggested for hundreds of situations like yours, I think someone just wants to spend some money. Honestly, just turn it down - the whole overkill thing only really applies to tube amps, for SS/class-D the volume knob is all you need.

I was posting in another thread about my Barefaced one10 and GK MB200 setup, That would be an excellent solution for the OP, with a tiny footprint, small size and low weight. The tone and volume is a thing of beauty too. It costs less than the combos mentioned so far in this thread.

I keep and transport mine in a cajon bag along with the cables etc as a single unit, so the same as carrying a combo.

Frank.

The baby GK combos are surprisingly loud and sound good too. The MB112 is my favourite of the bunch at 200w.

It's not a huge difference in footprint from the 121P though. Maybe the 110 might work better. It's smaller, lighter etc but half the output wattage and only about 15% cheaper.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477589614' post='3163239']
TC Electronics BG250 208 and a second cab for gigs. Cheap and great.
[/quote]

I'll second that, although I haven't used a second cab, just DI into FOH