Why become a member? ×

Getting something heard.

NancyJohnson

Not certain whether this is a general discussion or an off topic.

Anyhow, here goes.

About three years back I wrote something seasonal that we could roll out at Christmas gigs. When someone asks whether I have any band recordings, my wife always says 'Play them the Christmas song,' so irrespective of the month, I tend to play people that song. I figure people get (to repeat an overused quote of mine) [i]warm and fuzzy[/i] about Christmas and you know, I've never had a detrimental remark about the tune. Most people will also follow it up with something akin to, 'If you can get <insert name here> to listen to it...'

So I fired up the multitracks this morning (I haven't listened to it for about a year) and I'm suprised how good it sounds. I mean better than good to my ears.

I don't know how to write a million seller any more than the next guy, but I would just like to see if anyone would critique it. Recently, we did some gigs for Musicians Against Homelessness/Crisis and I suppose if there was a way of generating monies for this, I'd like to do it.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'd agree with sending it to BBC introducing.

However I'd suggest that the best way to make you music widely available is to make a decent video for it and get it up on YouTube. You don't have to spend a lot of money - the three Terrortones PVs were made for a grand total of around £600 and biggest expenditure was the props for "StickyPants Trance" and the location for "I Can't Find My Braincell".

However you might already be too late for Christmas 2016...

OK...hopefully this will work. Have a listen. I know it's not going to be everyone's bag (and I appreciate that). I've always been happy with the overall arrangement, I know that parts of the vocal are a bit hokey, so just accept that as it is...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/paulanthony-1/christmastime-has-come-to-town-original-guitars"]http://soundcloud.co...riginal-guitars[/url]

Edited by NancyJohnson

Nancy , that's brilliant ...... It's like the darkness doing another Christmas song without quite all the Camp .. and double entendre .

I'd try somthing like this for getting your music up on the various platforms .. https://distrokid.com/

Then you just have to focus on getting the word out.

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1477394837' post='3161902']
OK...hopefully this will work. Have a listen...
[/quote]

NJ...

Jolly good stuff, and embracing well the target genre. Much better, in almost all respects than most offerings from 'the usual' at this time of year. Will it 'stick'..? Dunno; maybe not enough of a 'hook' in there (but who knows..?). All of the instruments are in place (I liked the guitar flange; short and sweet...). I'd have wanted a tiny bit more variance in the drums, but lightly; just a crisp pre-roll on the snare from time to time, to give it some life and sparkle. The vocals..? Good, but a tad strained in places; a bit of treatment would help that a lot (a touch of delay, a smidgen of reverb, an octave, below, doubling...). The lyrics are fine (I'd suggest 'three six five' as better scansion at one point...). For 'the Market', I'd chop away a verse so as to have the chorus come in earlier; that 's the 'hook' the drunkards around the dinner table will be swaying to, arm in arm with paper hats on.
Altogether a Good One. No idea how to promote such stuff. Send it to your local radio station; get it attached to a local charity event..? Well done, anyway, and thanks for sharing. Oi'll give it foive. :santa2:

Edited by Dad3353

• 2 weeks later...

Just so long as you have no expectations, my pal/drummer in my band is, to all intents and purposes, The Bolton Iron Maiden these days and their album generates about 20k a year for cancer research among others.
Mind you it helps that the current Iron Maiden endorse the record and allow him space om THEIR website to promote it!
It aint what you know, etc.....

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1478219095' post='3167724']
Well amazingly, it's been listened to and I'm onto the next stage.
P
[/quote]
usually you will get played on local bbc stations with introducing, if you are lucky you get passed to the national stations. i have friends who have got their songs on radio 1 and 2 through it.

take it to all your local radio stations as well they will often support local acts.