Why become a member? ×

In defence of drummers

Davo-London

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1477510181' post='3162733']I always turn up early, even for rehearsals, so I am often the first to be ready to play. Also means I can claim my space on the stage.
[/quote]
I was late to a gig and found that the band had set up leaving no space for me or my gear!

They then moaned and complained when I made them all move up to make room. What a bunch of dickheads. That was one of the very few times I've sworn at the guys in a band.

Call me old fashioned but if you're all getting an equal split of the fee it's just plain decency to all muck in surely...
With regard to drummers that bash it out at full whack all the time,I see it as a missed opportunity to add dynamics to your sound.

Edited by andyonbass

Just as many good/bad drummers as any other musicians. It's just that you notice more when the drummer makes a mistake -- it's harder for them to hide their errors. The fact that most get it right most of the time is to their credit. Almost all the drummers I've worked and work with have been/are grand. Now guitar players are another story...

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1477642429' post='3163479']
Playing with a really good drummer is, for me, the most liberating experience as a bass player. Everything just seems to fall into place.
[/quote]

A blessing and a curse. Once you've played with one who's really got it, you never feel like you play as well with anybody else, even if they're good time keepers etc.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1477563023' post='3162957']

I was late to a gig and found that the band had set up leaving no space for me or my gear!

They then moaned and complained when I made them all move up to make room. What a bunch of dickheads. That was one of the very few times I've sworn at the guys in a band.
[/quote]

And on the other hand I've turned up later for a regular gig where there is only a cab size space for me, no room to put it elsewhere, and the drummer has set up right across it. Looked a bit grumpy when I told him he'd have to move over a couple of feet! Gets me a bit miffed it does!!

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1477642429' post='3163479']
Playing with a really good drummer is, for me, the most liberating experience as a bass player. Everything just seems to fall into place.
[/quote]

+1

I played for the first time with a beast of a rock/blues drummer this summer. After all my years playing I found another gear when he started up. Never mind the grin on my face, the band leader had a grin on [i]his[/i] face a mile wide. Job done.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1477645073' post='3163500']
And on the other hand I've turned up later for a regular gig where there is only a cab size space for me, no room to put it elsewhere, and the drummer has set up right across it. Looked a bit grumpy when I told him he'd have to move over a couple of feet! Gets me a bit miffed it does!!
[/quote]

Get them to set up on a rug. Half decent chance of being able to slide the whole (or most of) kit over a couple of feet in one go, then tape the rug back down so it doesn't slip during playing.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1477320728' post='3161392']
Agree with almost everything apart from volume issues. Some drummers just cannot control how hard they hit a drum yet others are far more versatile players and can adapt to a certain degree.
I've just ordered set of ACS earplugs mainly because the drummers i currently play with are too loud.
That's my only criticism really.
[/quote]

So agree with this, I play with 4 drummers regularly (not at the same time) and only one of them has any kind of dynamic range, the others are ok but they smash the sh!t out of the drumkit every time, and the rest of the band just have to put up with it. Constant loud drumming is the worst, it makes every song sound the same, and everyone ends up playing too hard and too fast. Finding a decent drummer is hard enough, but finding one that can play quietly is virtually impossible. i'm sure there's a reason for it, a drummer recently told me that playing quietly isn't easy and he spent years working on it specifically.