Why become a member? ×

That disco sound....

___---___

[quote name='alexclaber' post='303338' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:19 PM']Lots to choose from. Your bass and how you play it matters more though!

Alex[/quote]
I agree. Typical disco era basses were just the popular instruments of the time, ie. most of Leo Fenders designs -

Fender Precision w/flats, eg. If Ya Think I'm Sexy (Rod Stewart), Fatback band tracks
Fender Jazz w/flats, eg. Forget Me Nots (Patrice Rushen), some Abba tracks
Musicman Stingray w/roundwounds, eg. many Chic and Brothers Johnson tracks. Louis Johnson had a very bright zingy sound whereas Bernard often had very dead strings.

plus occasionally an Alembic would get used eg. Blame It On The Boogie (Jackson 5).

Amp wise, Acoustic, Fender, Musicman and Ampeg would have probably been favoured. Acoustic were solid state and the rest were valve powered. Solid state back then were very expensive to mass produce. It wasn't until the advent of mass manufacturing developed for the computer industry that solid state amps became a lot more affordable.

Cab wise there wasn't anything specifically disco either but HF horns weren't around then. So cabs would include 4x12 (eg. Fender), 2x15 (eg. Acoustic folded design) or 8x10 (eg. Ampeg). I'm not sure about how popular 4x10's were back then. Maybe some of the members who were gigging around then would like to chip in too?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='303390' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:42 PM']Actually that classic line was played on a Fender Precision with fresh roundwounds - spank that P!

Alex[/quote]
Yes you're absolutely right, and I knew that but didn't check my typing before pressing the post button.

There's nothing like an old Pbass with either flats or some old dead rounds DI'd direct to the desk, maybe a bit of opto or valve compression....yummy for disco and old school funk. I think. My favorite disco track would be Bee Gee's "You should be dancing" or "Brick House" with the Commodores....or anything by Chic...or "Stomp" with the Johnson Brothers....or...or

I was around & gigging then-I WAS only 'bout 15y.o. tho!!! Above is all correct. I think a fair few used the "New" EV cabs with 4 x 10"s or 4x12"s as well as a 15" under 'em. Hard to beat a Fender P or J.-passive. & yep Chic= Music man Stingray-about the only active bass about then -widely used anyway-apart from Alembic. $$$$ anyone????

Turn off the tweeter on yr cab or use a sealed 810/610 I get great disco sounds using either of my Bergantino NV cabs-NV610 But I like the NV215 more!!! It THUMPS!!! & the Hi freq driver in it sounds good in ANY pos. so SMOOOOOOOTH!!!!

A lot of transistorized instrumental amplifiers suffered from poor electronic parts or poor electromic design. But this gave them a distinct sound. So if you want to sound like 70s get some of this equipment. Acoustic or Kustom comes to my mind.

If I transfer this expierience to 2000 gear I´m asking me what will people in 2020 think about nowadays??? ("I need to get the bass-pod MKI first series with# below 666 for the sickest XXX-sound. That´s real vintage, hehehe!"). Maybe, who knows what time will bring.

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='305739' date='Oct 13 2008, 07:42 PM']I was using this for lots of disco...late 70's[attachment=14728:ih_bass_crop.jpg][/quote]

I love this photo. Cool looking amp, carpet, wallpaper, decor etc.....Nice! :)

Edited by nick

"Forget me nots" as played on a p bass by "ready freddie washington" who now plays ken smiths just like crazykiwi cool!!!!

Yes you're absolutely right, and I knew that but didn't check my typing before pressing the post button.