Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB425X

Funky Dunky

I think this might have to be my next bass. I've noticed a phenomenal amount of love for BBs on this forum, and I tried a 424 a while back and really dug it. I want my next bass to be a 5er and I know the BBs are highly regarded. How's the low B on these puppies?

I like it in red, too!

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-BB425X-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Red-Metallic/1I3M

I have a 424X and a 425X, and now play nothing else. Despite being the same age, with the same Elixir strings, they have slightly different characters. The 4 seems more gentle with a gorgeous P tone, while the 5 is a real tone monster seemingly more aggressive. Love 'em both. Play both at gigs depending on my mood!

I have the 424 and love it!

I got it in red (after never being interested in a red bass until i saw it) with the mirror chrome finish and it looks awesome - really catches the light when playing. Fantastic colour - photos on the interet dont do it justice.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1475482409' post='3146144']
I thought they were a good looking bass when they first came out, but now may be its a bit dated, but not in a retro way. I really don't like the metal pickup surrounds, surely these are unnecessary?
[/quote]

pickguards are unnecessary... and so many other aspects.
It's just aesthetics. Some like it, some don't. I used to think they were fugly. Now... they're :gas:

Another beauty is in the eye of Noddy Holder moment. I think the non-X version is hideous, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why. Whereas the X version is sex on a stick to me. Love it. Go figure.

I like the way the chrome glints in the lights...! Also more practical for access to the ruddy 3-way switch which often needs a little squirt. :rolleyes:
They are not the lightest bass, but sound a lot more like a P than most P's. And more like a Jazz than a lot of jazz's. And sometimes at a pinch much like a 'ray on some days of the week. Love mine; rather unique and lovely, with their own characters.