Why become a member? ×

Fender Sean Hurley precision vs 59 custom shop vs US Vintage

JimboJim

Has anyone tried the Sean Hurley Precision bass, custom shop 59 or the new USA vintage series ?

What's your experience with them ? Is it really worth paying 700-800 quid for the custom shop ? Or their is a real difference in feel and sound of custom shop ?

Thinking of buying the custom shop- either Sean Hurley or the 59/64 p bass or USA vntage.

I have played the 63? USA vintage Precision and thought it was exceptionally good. The guy in the shop quietly admitted to me that most people don't think there is much, if anything in it compared to 'New' (non relic) team built CS basses.

In my very humble opinion where the CS stuff comes into its own is the relic stuff. I know most people don't see the point or like them, but for me its all about the necks on those instruments, I have only every played two basses which felt as nice as a CS relic neck, a Sei and a GB Spitfire. The rolled edges and fretwork was amazing on the CS stuff I have played, guitars included.

I dont know if the Hurley is a relic or not but if it is the neck is likely to be very good. To be honest, you need to find one in stock somewhere and try a Pino while your there if possible.

The Hurley isn't a relic, to my knowledge it's a 50s/60s reissue with a custom designed bridge mute?!
My advice, put the money into a cool old Fender and make it your own.
For example, a new custom shop will cost you circa 3k, there's a very cool 1963 Precision on here for sale for not a great deal more!

Si

Yeah I'd agree. If you wanna drop some serious cabbage on a bass there are so many options once you enter into the £1500 and above mark - from custom built to vintage.

A p bass is a p bass. A half decent bass, good pots, nice sounding pick up and you're there. For three grand you could get a solid valve pre amp like a Nobles, good older P bass (from Asia or USA) or have one made to your spec. Hell grab a RW or 50's p and you're totally in the ball park.

I play a P5 and while its not a traditional looking P bass it still sounds like a p bass made even better with good valve pre amp.

Good luck in your search!