Why become a member? ×

Quick LH fingering question

Funky Dunky

When I first started playing my primary tutor was Chuck Sher's (who he?) 'The Improvisor's Bass Method'. I recall it advising 'good' technique as a matter of energy conservation as much as anything else, and that arched fingers enabled the player to fret a note with less energy, and the fretting hand to move more efficiently and quickly, and therefore with less fatigue. Of course, I don't know anything different after 35 years but I always think that players with good, 'classical' technique always look a lot tidier. Of all the 'world class players' I know I think Entwistle's technique looks the worst. Still, seems to have worked for him all right! Bottom line - be comfortable. I've got small hands so classical technique works for me; larger hands might necessitate a different approach.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474968243' post='3141830']
I probably shouldn't have chosen that clip. He's recovering from a stroke and can be seen to be struggling at times but his technique is good enough to have made him an elite and world class bass player for the last 50 + years.
[/quote]Personally I think the clip is a great demonstration in showing that whilst there will always be the "correct technique", "the correct way", "you must do it this way", etc...
we are in fact all different physically, despite what people say, Chuck Rainey is using a technique that is comfortable for him, and allows him to continue playing despite recovering from a stroke, and I have to say, I really enjoyed the video, and despite his so called poor technique, I thought his playing was great. :)

For me, I have to use a very flat technique because I have virtually no control of my thumbs due to arthritis, and I had the trapezium removed in my right thumb which has resulted in not being able to touch my little finger with me thumb, and this is not a recent thing that has hampered my technique, I have always had very little flexibility it my thumbs, and no amount of stretching exercises seemed to help.

So yes, if you are lucky enough to be born with the perfect anatomy, then you can adopt all the "correct" methods, but a lot of us have to adapt to methods that suit the way we were made, even if they are not technically correct. :unsure:

I probably shouldn't have chosen that clip. He's recovering from a stroke and can be seen to be struggling at times but his technique is good enough to have made him an elite and world class bass player for the last 50 + years.
[/quote]
Fair enough - didn't know that he'd had a stroke. Of course, as we get get older we can be afflicted with all sorts of things that require an adapting of technique.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1474972051' post='3141887']
Personally I think the clip is a great demonstration in showing that whilst there will always be the "correct technique", "the correct way", "you must do it this way", etc...
we are in fact all different physically, despite what people say, Chuck Rainey is using a technique that is comfortable for him, and allows him to continue playing despite recovering from a stroke, and I have to say, I really enjoyed the video, and despite his so called poor technique, I thought his playing was great. :)

For me, I have to use a very flat technique because I have virtually no control of my thumbs due to arthritis, and I had the trapezium removed in my right thumb which has resulted in not being able to touch my little finger with me thumb, and this is not a recent thing that has hampered my technique, I have always had very little flexibility it my thumbs, and no amount of stretching exercises seemed to help.

So yes, if you are lucky enough to be born with the perfect anatomy, then you can adopt all the "correct" methods, but a lot of us have to adapt to methods that suit the way we were made, even if they are not technically correct. :unsure:
[/quote]
I think it demonstrates that there are some musicians with poor technique that go on to greatness... because, they have that "something special". We shouldn't assume, though, that WE have that "something special".

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1474964638' post='3141789'] How can you get speed if your fretting hand is parallel?
[/quote]

I can't! I dunno how people do it, I feel totally laboured and it feels like my fingers have been weighted. No speed, no dexterity at all for me with that approach. I have to stick with what I know and find a way to economise my movements and relax my hand.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1474793179' post='3140465']
I found these two vids helped me immensely :

http://youtu.be/8F0pVPr4VYw (@2.22)

http://youtu.be/VRkSsapYYsA

Check 'em out!
[/quote]

Adam needs more love around here! His older lessons are really handy, it was he who sorted my right hand out, with a video similar to that. Unfortunately, his videos nowadays are mostly Q&As, but he has some great videos from a while back. Plus, I really like his slightly quirky sense of humour!

Personally I think the clip is a great demonstration in showing that whilst there will always be the "correct technique", "the correct way", "you must do it this way", etc...[/quote]

No...nothing is written stone. There is no such thing as "correct" technique. It is up to each person to find "their" technique. Having said that, there are tried and trusted ways to play the bass, that not only gets us playing to the best of our potential, but more importantly, is going to limit our chances of developing some bass related injury problems later on.

Edited by Coilte

Personally I think the clip is a great demonstration in showing that whilst there will always be the "correct technique", "the correct way", "you must do it this way", etc...

[/quote]

I remember watching Nuno Tenniscourt, of Extreme, and thinking "How can he possibly shred like that with such a low-slung guitar?"

Or ex-Megadeth guitarist Marty Friedman....I would look at his picking hand and think "How can he possibly play like that, period?!!"

There are some great replies on here, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to put their thoughts down. It proves to me that, ultimately, as I suspected all along, there is a 'perceived correct' but if your way works better FOR YOU, that's absolutely fine. I will continue in my current vein, but I will work at relaxing the arch a little, and work at easing off the squeeze on the frets. This thread is part of an ongoing process to troubleshoot and clean up my playing, and I'm grateful to everyone on Basschat for your input.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1474976130' post='3141933']
Fair enough - didn't know that he'd had a stroke. Of course, as we get get older we can be afflicted with all sorts of things that require an adapting of technique.

I think it demonstrates that there are some musicians with poor technique that go on to greatness... because, they have that "something special". We shouldn't assume, though, that WE have that "something special".
[/quote]I definitely have the poor technique part, but the "something special" part? definitely not! so unfortunately, I never went on to the greatness part sadly. :(
But on the upside, I'm quite happy with my playing, and I must be doing something right because I'm lucky enough to play with three very good musicians who make me feel great. :)

As has been said already, fingers slightly bent, and use your fingertips.

Though, like I keep saying to my one student who's 79. Technique has developed over time, what I use and show him is something to aim for, however, if due to physical problems you can't do that, then do what you can.

[/quote]

Are we sure he is recovering from a stroke at the time of this clip. Things don't look so different from other videos technically as far as I can see.
Having said that, I like his quirky style and he doesn't have to do what others do... you hire Chuck Rainey because he does what he does.
With his background, he will be hired for what he brings to the party

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1475003078' post='3142253']
Are we sure he is recovering from a stroke at the time of this clip. . . . you hire Chuck Rainey because he does what he does.
With his background, he will be hired for what he brings to the party
[/quote]

I believe this is after the stroke.

The video was supposed to highlight the idea that many of the best players do not always follow "the rules". And it doesn't bother them or their playing at all, so don't get hung up on right and wrong. There are many ways to be an effective player.

Most of the great Rock players were absent when the rule books were handed out.

edit for spelling!

Edited by chris_b