Why become a member? ×

What's the biggest gig you have played?

MacDaddy

Most was probably around 1000 at a local indoor festival thing about 15 years ago.

Least is usually nobody except the bored-looking barmaid, which happens occasionally at more rural pub gigs. You'll spot that there's only one table of punters and hope they don't leave to go to the next pub ... either that or you're booked to start at 9.00pm and there's no-one in because they all sit getting pished at home before they go out to the pub ...

This last new years eve we played an outdoor gig, from what i could see in front of my i would say it would be at least +10k in front of me. In the next day the organization revealed a number of ~30k for that night.

It was a very cool gig, we were meant to finish our gig 1 minute before midnight so they could have the countdown and the fireworks after. As we ended the gig the organization told us that it was early and we had to play another song. We chose a rock song to go out big, half way through the song people started counting so we stopped the song after a chorus and finished the countdown on stage. As the midnight came with all the fireworks we looked at each other and decided to finish the song playing one more chorus of Highway To Hell! What a great way to start the year! ;)

The above pic is interesting... I was going to say 10k plus... but how do you really know?
I do recall the gig was in a stadium and the football pitch was full...how many people can you get on a football pitch, ..?? :lol:
I also recall the P.A was supposed to be 20kw and was a huge row of JBL 4550 cabs. and PiL had caused a riot there a few days previously over security, iirc..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1473419689' post='3130038']
The above pic is interesting... I was going to say 10k plus... but how do you really know?
I do recall the gig was in a stadium and the football pitch was full...how many people can you get on a football pitch, ..?? :lol:
I also recall the P.A was supposed to be 20kw and was a huge row of JBL 4550 cabs. and PiL had caused a riot there a few days previously over security, iirc..
[/quote]

Yep, that's my idea +10k, you can't really tell in the pic but the crowd streched all the way down that avenue (notice the public light posts) and also to a large space on the right of the picture. I'm sure the organization has streched their numbers but it was a big crowd. After us there was a big national artist playing that's now in the top charts so that place was packed.

The cool thing about these gigs is that they're actually easier to do than a pub gig as you don't have the audience standing right in front of you in a way you can easilly make eye contact. You just get detached from all those folks in the dark and focous on your band mates and your playing. It was excelent. Tonight i'll be doing another open door gig but probably with less people, again opening for another big name. Should be fun! :)

The first stage I stood on was at the Royal Albert Hall when I was twelve and was in the choir for the Festival of Remembrance. With the RaH and BBC TV audiences it must have been in the millions. Since then it's gone downhill.

Playing the bass, I suppose some of the European jazz festivals with the Pete Allen Band must have pulled in up to 3k.

I played with assorted bands at the Tamworth Rock Festival about ten years on the trot. I think the audience was generally over 1000.

Also played live on Telethon '90. However, that was at ludicrous o'clock in the morning. Oh, and Radio WM, for my friend Richard Green.