Why become a member? ×

How much music do you like ?.

6stringbassist

You should get out more :)

I only started playing bass in my old age and I have to say that it has really opened up stuff that I now appreciated. Playing in covers bands, I have had to go off and learn stuff I would never have given the time of day to. Guess what, some of it turned out to be really good. Seriously, each to their own, it's not my place to tell you what to do but I have seen it before, "I won't lower my musical standards to play in a wedding/covers band" etc.. Well fine then, I'll play "Summer of 69", leer at the Bridesmaids, eat all the cake and take their money then :huh:

[quote name='fumps' post='300399' date='Oct 6 2008, 12:16 PM']Just try MC 900ft jesus, quaanum & Jurassic 5.

you will love them........Hip Hop is like any other music nowadays there is some amazing hidden Gems but is over shadowed by the [size=4]"Me- money-Me-Money-me-bitches-me-bitches-Me-Hoes-Me-Hoes-Me-Cars-me-Cars-ooo-Did-EYE-TELL-YOU-I-HAVE-....repeat"[/size]Crap....grrrrr[/quote]

Rap is whack man - fumps, do you want to go and do a drive-thru and then go down b&q and get some hose? (hoes - geddit?)

I like guitar music, but I've never really been into metal. I've never been into electronic music, dance, rap, pop, funk, disco - actually to be honest, I liked (and still do) almost exclusively bluesy rock and 90s British Indie (not britpop, although I don't mind a bit of Britpop). I think my favourite stuff is early Weezer, Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Rory Gallagher. I like structured jazz (can you call big band stuff jazz) and stuff like Reinhardt/Grappelli. I've recently been listening to more folky stuff and stuff like the Black Keys and stuff like Clinic. I don't like the White Stripes, but I do like the Raconteurs. I can't listen to Radio 1 because of all the idiots paid to talk rubbish all day - I think I put Moyles on one morning, who played 2 songs in the space of an hour - not because of the music, sure they play some crap, but some mainstream modern stuff is alright. I respect the opinions of others and I'll never say a piece of music is crap, just because I don't like it, but some music is just crap and almost meaningless, sausage factory bollocks. I thought the Fratellis first album was good, wouldn't touch their second on the strength of the first single from it and thought they were a dreadful, live band - but you might love them.

Of course everybody is different so none of this means anything other than to me. You likes what you like at the end of the day.

I love a lot of pop music. I love a lot of rock. I love a lot of jazz. In fact I like most of everything. It's all music. To pigeonhole is ultimately pointless. There are tracks I don't like, some artists I don't like (please stand up Mr Hucknall, Boyzone and those other post-Boyzone guys I've thankfully temporarily forgotten the name of), but there is no genre I don't like. I love ABBA. I love Motorhead. I love Yes and Matt Garrison. I love Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys. I love the Chilis and Bow Wow Wow. I love Basie & Ellington. I love Faithless, Manowar (yes, Manowar!!!), 30 Seconds to Mars and Bob Marley. I love the Stranglers and the Damned, Simon & Garfunkel and James Taylor, Paco De Lucia, Bach, heck I love Thomas Newman, John Williams, James Brown...I think you get the picture. As for pop music, even leaving bands like ABBA out of the equation, the Primitives' "Crash" is to me as perfect a record as you'll ever hear in any genre, and that's pure pop through and through.

Edited by 4000

I hate 99% of pop music these days, it's usually either hip hop (or some variation), R&B or indie, none of which i can stand.

I do however like a fairly wide range of music, i like to think. I can stand some rap, i do like some drum and bass such as pendulum, a bit of prodigy etc, but i mostly like my rock, and most rock, i'll listen to punk, classic rock, grunge, progressive, new progressive (totally different) most types of metal, thrash, hardcore, groove, prog metal etc, a bit of funk rock like the chilis, all that sort of stuff, i've got all sorts in my cd collection, most of it is metal, but there's chilis, mars volta, led zep, motorhead, snow patrol (must throw that one out)

I'm also one of these people that doesn't get jazz either, it's ok for like ambient background music, but i can't really listen to it.

Edited by budget bassist

I wish i did'nt say anything now.......I like SOME hip -hop but i dont drive a citron Saxo & wear gold chains lol.

My background is Mowtown & blues.

I just like music & dont care what genere it comes from.

I love Joni Mitchell, Simon & Garfuncle, Seasick Steve, Get Cape Wear Cape fly, JJ Cale, Sepultura, Alice in Chains, Tool, Infectious Gooves, Anubian Lights, Public enemy, Dead Kenedys, Rancid, Sia, Nighmares on Wax, Tosca..

It's really hard to list really. If it's good i'll give it a go.......I seem to be pidgeon holed here it's not very good from a musicians website is it?
:)

[quote name='4000' post='300759' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:45 PM']I love a lot of pop music. I love a lot of rock. I love a lot of jazz. In fact I like most of everything. It's all music. To pigeonhole is ultimately pointless. There are tracks I don't like, some artists I don't like (please stand up Mr Hucknall, Boyzone and those other post-Boyzone guys I've thankfully temporarily forgotten the name of), but there is no genre I don't like. I love ABBA. I love Motorhead. I love Yes and Matt Garrison. I love Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys. I love the Chilis and Bow Wow Wow. I love Basie & Ellington. I love Faithless, Manowar (yes, Manowar!!!), 30 Seconds to Mars and Bob Marley. I love the Stranglers and the Damned, Simon & Garfunkel and James Taylor, Paco De Lucia, Bach, heck I love Thomas Newman, John Williams, James Brown...I think you get the picture. As for pop music, even leaving bands like ABBA out of the equation, the Primitives' "Crash" is to me as perfect a record as you'll ever hear in any genre, and that's pure pop through and through.[/quote]

I play with a pianist who likes everything and she is a pain in the a***. One minute she is calling Anthropology, the next its Candyman by Christina Aquilera - idiomatic anarchy. Probelm is, a jazz drummer with a jazz kit isn't going to sound like a rock drummer with a rock kit and vice versa. Your eq is set for jazz, then you are playing pop/funk with a band that can swing but can't play funk. I can see the moral justification for liking everything but, somehow, it feels more like a lack of critical awareness.

[quote]I can see the moral justification for liking everything but, somehow, it feels more like a lack of critical awareness.[/quote]
If you have a band leader, or someone who often decides what you play and when, I think that then it would show a lack of critical awareness. A lack of sensitivity to the context, or ability to recognise the context in which one is playing. I wouldn't say it shows a lack of critical awareness if you are a listener, but I reckon that's not what you meant anyway.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='301034' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:05 AM']I wouldn't say it shows a lack of critical awareness if you are a listener, but I reckon that's not what you meant anyway.[/quote]

Sorry, Mark, but that WAS what I meant! I think liking everything shows a complete lack of taste!!

Now wait for the fireworks! :)

[quote]Sorry, Mark, but that WAS what I meant! I think liking everything shows a complete lack of taste!!

Now wait for the fireworks![/quote]
Much as I would love to disagree with you, purely for the sheer hell of it(!) :) I have to say I can only agree with that. I don't see how you can "like everything" you may have a broad palate but that is still indicative of critical awareness in that if nothing else you are aware of a boundary.
By "liking everything" you may be attempting to say that you dislike imposing boundaries on what you may or may not like, which is fair enough - but if you are actually saying "I have no critical, artistic, philosophical, or taste-based opposition to any song/form of music whatsoever then you're either not being entirely truthful with yourself or you genuinely have an under-developed quality filter.
imho - of course.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='301034' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:05 AM']If you have a band leader, or someone who often decides what you play and when, I think that then it would show a lack of critical awareness. A lack of sensitivity to the context, or ability to recognise the context in which one is playing. I wouldn't say it shows a lack of critical awareness if you are a listener, but I reckon that's not what you meant anyway.

Mark[/quote]

Well, that would assume that you heard it in the first place. You really have to give a piece an honest listen to even superficially decide if you like it or not. Of course, there's too much music out there to do that so it's easier to say "I just like bands X, Y and Z". I could say that I don't like Jazz but if I was honest I've never actually listened to any and wouldn't know where to start anyway.

Bilbo, I don't think that anyone can say 'I like everything', as there's simply too much out there for that statement to hold water. I do take your side when people say 'oh, I like lots, anything really', as it makes me think they have no real interest or sense of discernment. So in that regard I agree with you. We all have preferences, but if we didn't and liked all things in equal measure, then I would agree that shows a lack of critical awareness. I apologise for reading between the lines, and inferring meaning that wasn't there :)

Thepurpleblob, I don't quite understand your post in the context of my post. Could you clarify please?

Mark

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='301037' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:10 AM']Sorry, Mark, but that WAS what I meant! I think liking everything shows a complete lack of taste!!

Now wait for the fireworks! :huh:[/quote]

Agreed, how can a person like EVERYTHING in music? Where would you keep all the cd's for a start! :)

[quote]I could say that I don't like Jazz but if I was honest I've never actually listened to any and wouldn't know where to start anyway.[/quote]
It's easy to recreate it - get a mate who's a drummer to set up at the top of a steep flight of stairs, both of you should be wearing berets and turtlenecks and at least one of you should have a husky-voiced french girlfriend who smokes Gitanes, pick up your bass and randomly play every note on the fretboard for 5 or 10 minutes, whilst your drummer practices his tempo changes then, for no readily apparent reason, get your/his aforementioned missus who is standing behind said drummer to push both him and his kit down the stairs - just you make sure you finish with a flourish ever so slightly after he hits the bottom.
Then have a Creme-de-Menthe-and-beard-stroking session whilst, oh I dunno, a "performance artist" or some bloke you've met randomly on the street reads Sartre. Badly.
Voila! :)

(Please note, the above is merely a suggestion from a self-acknowledged jazz heathen and is not in any way meant to be taken seriously)...

I like lots of different stuff from the punkiest punk to the smoothest soul and lots of other stuff inbetween. When it comes to playing covers either everyone needs to agree on everything or there has to be a compromise. I've been in bands where we've all done what the guitarist wants but he foo foos every suggestion put forward, hence we split up pretty soon.

To all those that don't like modern RnB, check out D'Angelo - Voodoo! It features one of the most incredible rhythm section performances I have ever heard, truly mind-bending. (This is my only modern RnB CD but it more than makes up for the rather limp efforts that pervade that genre...)

Alex

Yep tbh there is so many execptions to the rules that it simply is daft to discount music for it's genere.

I know a lad who calls all dance music "Monotous bleepin sh*te" but i forced hi to listen to "Morning Sci-fi" by Hybrid & now he's hooked on anything by Hybrid. the Peter Hook style Bass lines, the work with classical music & the depth of the production these guys use has got him addicted.

He still thinks dance music is crap. but there are too many exceptions to discount without giving it a try.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='301025' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:47 AM']I play with a pianist who likes everything and she is a pain in the a***. One minute she is calling Anthropology, the next its Candyman by Christina Aquilera - idiomatic anarchy. Probelm is, a jazz drummer with a jazz kit isn't going to sound like a rock drummer with a rock kit and vice versa. Your eq is set for jazz, then you are playing pop/funk with a band that can swing but can't play funk. I can see the moral justification for liking everything but, somehow, it feels more like a lack of critical awareness.[/quote]

I find that an extremely strange comment! To me not liking a very wide range of things just seems like closed-mindedness....I find there's something to like in most things, and to dislike a whole genre just seems a bit weird. Of course I don't really play covers so your example never really affects me. Besides, everyone else in my band has just as broad tastes as me, but if we do play a cover it's always one that fits the style of the band. I've been playing in originals bands (and writing most of the music) ever since I started playing; never been in a cover band in my life, although I've played the odd cover here and there (maybe 20 in 28 years!).

Thats the upside of writing your own material. The downside is you almost never make any money in my experience.....

Edited by 4000

Back when i was at it full tilt & was in bands, Covers were a natural way of getting stuck straight in.

It's great to see a band live but if they just play their own material it can get a little lost, i always found a mix of own material & covers works better bacuase a crowd can at least get a gague of what your doing.
That always worked for me anyway.

Edited by fumps