Why become a member? ×

Shergold twin neck 4/8 string...

itsmedunc

It was mine and it needed work when I bought it as the necks and bridges had been swapped around - the 8 string saddles had been reversed too. The 4 string bass side was lovely. It was very heavy and cumbersome - I bought it because I'm a bit of a Shergold fan and had to own one of these albeit briefly as this was pure GAS! I sold it to this guy last year and he's taking a bit of a hit on it - so it's a bargain if you need an excuse to employ a chiropractitioner!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1471870090' post='3116516']
It was mine and it needed work when I bought it as the necks and bridges had been swapped around - the 8 string saddles had been reversed too. The 4 string bass side was lovely. It was very heavy and cumbersome - I bought it because I'm a bit of a Shergold fan and had to own one of these albeit briefly as this was pure GAS! I sold it to this guy last year and he's taking a bit of a hit on it - so it's a bargain if you need an excuse to employ a chiropractitioner!
[/quote]

It was mine as well. Agreed the 4-string side was fabulous, but could never do much with the 8-string side. I traded it in at Wunjo as p/x on my Takamine TB-10, nose around in the basschat vaults and you'll find that story.

Edited by toneknob
  • Thanks 1

"Tatty case", how dare he.

The case actually belonged to my other Shergold, the 12/4 Custom Double. When I bought the 4/8 originally from a bloke in Egham, it had no case so I had one built. The 12/4 got the new case, as it was still on regular gig duty, and the ahem "tatty" one was passed down to the 4/8.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1471707719' post='3115237']
He describes it as rare which I absolutely agree with. Having followed these since Mike Rutherford started using them I've never seen one in this configuration.
[/quote]

Serial number 8401 is roughly translated as "8-string neck, 4-string neck, 01st off the production line" (take with pinch of salt of course)

• 6 years later...

Just came across this and i was the original owner of that twin neck bass.

I can confirm it was a one off requested by me.

They didn't make 8 string basses and we agreed to convert their 6 string bass into an 8.

Pretty sure it was around 77 if i remember right by the time i actually got it.

Cost me £630

Here is an old pic of the said bass.

Tried to find it at one point to buy it back. Guy in London area was advertising it on Gumtree and as soon as i mentioned i was the original owner he removed the advert obviously stolen and he thought i was after it.

That was about 10yrs ago i think.

Dave

old photos_0004_NEW (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, toneknob said:

Bit confused Dave - did you used to own the white 4/8-string as well? (I can't remember what the original ebay link above pointed to). Which is it you're looking for?

Have you asked in the Shergold forum? It's a small but knowledgable and friendly bunch. https://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/

I owned the black one which was their first attempt at an 8 string where they converted their 6 string bass for me. I'm assuming the serial number would be 001 :biggrin:

Dave

On 12/08/2023 at 12:52, dmccombe7 said:

They didn't make 8 string basses and we agreed to convert their 6 string bass into an 8.

They must have made some since, as I can remember seeing a band in Sheffield in either '82 or '83 whose bassist had a single neck Shergold 8-string

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

They must have made some since, as I can remember seeing a band in Sheffield in either '82 or '83 whose bassist had a single neck Shergold 8-string

They did start making them after mine but when i bought mine they didn't do custom work and making an 8 string neck was probably a bit too expensive if it was just going to be a one off. I can only imagine the 8 string demand must have grown for a spell.

Mike Rutherford had an 8 string Hagstrom bass if i remember correctly and that's why i wanted the 4 and 8 string. 

I do remember it being a very heavy beast especially when i was on 5'9" and 9.5st. :biggrin:

The weight was the main reason i traded it for an Aria SB1000.

Dave