Why become a member? ×

10CC - Not In Love

gapiro

Hi Guys
Long and short of it is, has anyone got a transcription/tab of the solo (at around 2 minutes to 3 minutes of the 6m version)

My lack of knowledge of melody is catching me out! It seems to be based around an A (with some fifth stuff) and a Bm ?

What a tune though. The vocals were made by them spending several weeks recording several hundred clips of them going "ahh"

Is it true that the special choir was made by recording separate notes on each tape track, each note being many layers of voices singing the same note? Then playing chords on the mixing desk by moving faders. All in the days before fader automation.............?!

LD

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1470216832' post='3104104']
Is it true that the special choir was made by recording separate notes on each tape track, each note being many layers of voices singing the same note? Then playing chords on the mixing desk by moving faders. All in the days before fader automation.............?!

LD
[/quote]Apparently so. The mixing was a labour of love.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1470220673' post='3104144']
Apparently so. The mixing was a labour of love.
[/quote]Yup, must have been a performance in itself. Suppose it always was in the days before automation, but this is something else ! I suppose they must have bounced the outcome onto two tracks before the final mixdown, but even so !

LD

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1470221607' post='3104157']
[url="https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/0-9/10cc/im_not_in_love_solo_btab.htm"]https://tabs.ultimat...e_solo_btab.htm[/url]

Don't know how accurate it is tho.

Dave
[/quote]
quite awful - already had a look :)

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1470216832' post='3104104']

LD
[/quote]
Indeed. had heard the same

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq7oGenbp2I [/media]

I saw them live in the mid 70s and I was really looking forward to how they were going to deal with it. Well, they just had a backing tape and played over the top of it. One of my first big disillusionments in life (musically speaking). Went off them mightily after that.

Luckily I also saw Dr Feelgood around the same time... none of that sort of nonsense with them.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1470242954' post='3104444']
I saw them live in the mid 70s and I was really looking forward to how they were going to deal with it. Well, they just had a backing tape and played over the top of it. One of my first big disillusionments in life (musically speaking). Went off them mightily after that.

Luckily I also saw Dr Feelgood around the same time... none of that sort of nonsense with them.
[/quote]

Not sure what you would have expected to see. Perhaps this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5mqR-ehY9s

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1470242954' post='3104444']

[/quote]

Now I like the Feelgoods, but.... SERIOUSLY???? guitar thrashers versus kitchen sink.

I was only pulling your leg Steve.

The live clip above was interesting enough though, I thought the live vocal arrangement was good. If they hadn't got the recorded backing of 256 voices (overdubs for the pedant) it may not have struck me the same way. So much of what I perceive is subliminal that I would only miss it if it were gone.

Did that make sense?

The live voice arrangement is a great (but not always practical) idea, and it won't sound the same as 256 overdubs... which is interesting. Yes, it does make sense.

Hands up... My own hang up is a generational thing. I remember being totally outraged when that newfangled "sampling" business started. I regarded it as a type of cheating (and still do). I was in in an originals electronica band once and we had all kinds of arguments about that... I thought we might as well play one massive backing tape and mime to it.

My apologies to the OP... got rather off the point.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1470293677' post='3104752']
My comment wasn't meant SERIOUSLY!!!!
[/quote]

Neither was mine - Was maybe a bit too subtle - I immediately jumped to a mental pictuer of the male voice choir onstage with the Feelgoods! :D

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1470382677' post='3105554']
Funnily enough... now I've quit gigging. I've even been thinking of joining a choir just to... erm... get my performing rocks off (so to speak)
[/quote]

Done it for a year just for a laff. Very glad I did too. I can recommend it as long as you don't get involved in any sort of committee business.