Why become a member? ×

P bass sound v Jazz bass neck pickup

police squad

I am the very happy owner of the new Fender 'Flea' bass.
I've always played Precision basses and I've hardly ever used a Jazz. I don't really like the nasal honk of the bridge pickup.
With this in mind, the few times I've gigged a jazz, using only the neck pickup, it's pretty much sounded like a P bass.

But, with the Flea, last night, I could here a bit more 'fizz' to the sound. More presence I think.

What do you other players of both basses think?

I'm even warming to the bridge pickup on this bass. I've started using it, on its own, during set up/ sound check. It's quite a meaty, nasal honk!

In the past I've owned both a Jazz (Geddy Lee model) and a Precision (old '79 model). I never really felt that with the neck pickup isolated the Jazz sounded anything like the Precision. I'm unsure whether the Precision has more presence because the pickup is effectively two units wired in series or whether the Jazz wiring loom is contributary in any way.

Either way it's not something that particularly worried me in any way as both basses had their own unique characteristics tonally...any time I've owned dual pickup basses, I've always operated them (rightly or wrongly) with both pickups at 100% anyway.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1470060401' post='3102973']
I tend to find the difference is subtle, but the Jazz single coil is more 'hollow' sounding. I might be mistaken but I'm sure it can get a little more lively in the upper mids/treble.....not sure.
[/quote]

yes I can hear this myself, but although slightly hollow, still plenty of depth and woodyness

I bought a J because people on forums said it can sound pretty much like a P with only subtle differences. I then found it to sound nothing like a P but have now grown to love the J's own sound.

I do still want a more P sound though and am wanting to try out a serial switch mod but the pickups on my bass are weird and have all sorts of wires so I'm hoping to get some clarification on what the wires actually do.

I think a Jazz neck pickup soloed is some 80 - 90% there towards a Precision sound. A mate of mine has a 70s Jazz and his sound is sooooo Precision like it`s amazing - but then apparently he hasn`t changed his roundwoud strings for years, so that will take a lot of top end away from the Jazzes natural toppier end. I think with careful eq-ing you can almost get there. Probably only really tell when someone comes along with a Precision and plugs in.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1470068334' post='3103040']
Anyone got any EQ tips for making a Jazz sound more like a P on a recording?
[/quote]

Add in a touch of the bridge pickup, just until you can hear the difference so take that slowly. Cut highs and boost mids - choose anywhere from 250 - 450hz to suit really. Not an exact science but for making my Jazzes - when I`ve had them - sound more Precision-like that`s the way I`ve gone and it`s worked quite well ffor practice, so spend a bit of time along those lines, should get pretty near.

I just installed a series switch into my J bass and recorded a wee demo of it on and off:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se2z4keVXKs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=se2z4keVXKs[/url]

I've only been playing for 3 months so apologies for any lack of skill or technique.

Edited by thegummy