Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

This is a stunning example of why Build Diaries is one of my favourite corners on Basschat.

I have no technical skills and nothing to contribute but, my goodness, I like watching you guys work.

If I ever win the lottery (unlikely as I've not bought a ticket in years) the first thing I'd do is commission an Andyjr1515 build.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1477959885' post='3165611']
Did you make the nice wooden storage unit (cupboards, shelves seen in the background where the new bass is on the stand) as well Andy?
[/quote]
:)

No - we got a joiner in for that. There's straight lines and square joint involved in that. As MrsAndyjr1515 (the worlds first human spirit level) would confirm, I'm not good at straight lines and square joints ;)

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1478020870' post='3166103']
Brilliant, as always Andy.
I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing this beauty in action. Any gigs coming up?

Living just the other side of the hill from Andy I can reliably inform the rest of you that his creations look even better in real life.
[/quote]
Thanks, Neil :)

Pete and I have a local gig on Mon 28th. Full band have one 10th Dec. Yes I know....part timers ;)

I reckon a beer beckons soon:)

Got the opportunity to play this at tonight's band practice :). It sounds great in full band context. The Model One is a cracking pickup....I noticed Pete only used one of the six settings on the rotary (no surprise, it was the 'neck only') and when I got to play, I never got past that setting either.

At the gig on 10th Dec, it will be a bit special because I will have built every guitar and bass used in the band ;). The fully tally will be the lead guitarists tele and spare, the vocalist's dreadnought acoustic, Pete's EB3 bass and SG six string, my own own design six string. Must remember to get someone to take a photo :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1478564685' post='3170005']
At the gig on 10th Dec, it will be a bit special because I will have built every guitar and bass used in the band ;). The fully tally will be the lead guitarists tele and spare, the vocalist's dreadnought acoustic, Pete's EB3 bass and SG six string, my own own design six string. Must remember to get someone to take a photo :)
[/quote]

That's a fantastic achievement :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1478564685' post='3170005']

[/quote]

The ever-modest Andy is a bit coy. The gig is at the Milford Social Club, Milford, Derbyshire. Just off the A6 and about 5 miles north of Derby. I plan to be there.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1478629711' post='3170471']

The ever-modest Andy is a bit coy. The gig is at the Milford Social Club, Milford, Derbyshire. Just off the A6 and about 5 miles north of Derby. I plan to be there.
[/quote]
It would be great to see you there, Neil :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1478680888' post='3170789']
A bit far for me to come, unfortunately ;)
[/quote]
I think I'll let you off, Bryan ;)

Actually, it's a tiny venue. It's the place we practice at nowadays so this is a part 'thank you' gig for them and part charity fund raising :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1480886425' post='3187893']

Another great build Andy! I'd love to see more of this SG six stringer
[/quote]
Hi, Evil_Undead - good to hear from you :)

It was one of my first fretted full builds and again, done for Pete our band's bassist. He actually plays 6-stringers beautifully and I now gig with him as an occasional spin off from the 5-piece band, him on this and me vocals and sax. In fact we did a paid gig last Monday! And I'm pleased to say the guitar is still playing and sounding well :)

It is mahogany back, figured maple top, mahogany/walnut/mahogany neck, ebony fretboard and headplate and fitted with a pair of ToneRider Alnico Classic IV's (best humbuckers out there IMHO). Here's a couple more shots:

You are left wondering why a certain USA major guitar manufacturing company does not produce items of this quality and appearance (unless they have passed me by). Someone on BC should be getting 'head hunted' by the aforesaid USA guitar company .

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1481231672' post='3190899']
You are left wondering why a certain USA major guitar manufacturing company does not produce items of this quality and appearance (unless they have passed me by). Someone on BC should be getting 'head hunted' by the aforesaid USA guitar company .
[/quote]
I don't think they'd want to hunt my head, 3below - they'd quickly find its full of marshmallow.... ;)