Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I'm confused

apart from being able to be preamps with balanced outputs there Noble, Capo, and Stomp aren't even in the same ballparks of one another in terms of why you would buy one over another.  

@EmmettC - I used a HX stomp for years. If you're into a digital effects workflow it's great. Look at the free stuff Jon Willis has done on facebook his tone lab site for interesting starting places, it will take more than a week to learn and work out what is and isn't working for you...
I sold mine as individual pedals knobs is just simpler and I look at screens all day in the day job and you know, stuff... make of that what you will!

Not sure who was comparing the HX stomp and the Noble preamp, I mentioned them together because I'm a fan of Ian Allison's sound and he uses both with great results.

I've had the HX stomp for a few months, I spent a long time setting up patches and deciding what would work for me, only to have none of it work on an actual gig. I decided lots of mini pedal boards would be the most versatile to get me going, with a few songs dialed in with their own patch. Neither worked for me because the tone and volume of each effect seems different in my amp, iems and DI. I'm sure I could figure it out, but it happens with "normal" pedals too, they are just easier to adjust on the fly.

I make synthy sounds out of fuzz/od, octave, envelope filters, chorus and an ehx bass mono synth. Whatever isn't working on a gig can be messed with or turned off during a song/gig, I just don't see a way a HX Stomp can be quite as simple for me. I was using a boss switching/fxloop pedal so I could program patches, but still access the individual pedals during a gig. I don't know how I expected to improve on that to be honest.

I was planning on using the amp sims once I was used to the fx, but if I can't manage the fx I think amps will be way too much for me. I have a Genzler Magellan that sounds great, and if I want an SVT sound I think a sansamp or Origin effects bass rig might work better for me because I can use my tow to adjust rather than a computer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I'm confused

apart from being able to be preamps with balanced outputs there Noble, Capo, and Stomp aren't even in the same ballparks of one another in terms of why you would buy one over another.  

@EmmettC - I used a HX stomp for years. If you're into a digital effects workflow it's great. Look at the free stuff Jon Willis has done on facebook his tone lab site for interesting starting places, it will take more than a week to learn and work out what is and isn't working for you...
I sold mine as individual pedals knobs is just simpler and I look at screens all day in the day job and you know, stuff... make of that what you will!

The Capo and the Noble are completely comparable, they are both preamp/DI pedalboard sized solutions? I literally compared them (and every other similar solution) and bought the Capo. 😅

@EmmettC if you like Ian Allison he also massively rates the Capo. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lidl e said:

I'm excited. Ive always been big into pedals, but never built a board.

Last year was the first time I put a proper, thought out board together. Before that I didn't use effects much. I've thoroughly enjoyed the process. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I've been putting the 'final version' of my board together for several months (see above for the latest 'final version') and none have survived more than a couple of gigs. 😃 (To be fair, I've played with 4 bands this year, each with different sound requirements). I've learnt much from this thread but I've also been given GAS from many of the photos of boards shown here. Be warned! 😂

• Like 2

Simple, tidy, light and ample for what I need. 

I build a main sound patch for each song using the ms60b then have the option of three "live" stomp pedals with the B3. Topped off with a HB wireless pedal on a Warwick Rockboard. 

The whole lot probably cost less than £250

IMG_20230102_150821.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Simple, tidy, light and ample for what I need. 

I build a main sound patch for each song using the ms60b then have the option of three "live" stomp pedals with the B3. Topped off with a HB wireless pedal on a Warwick Rockboard. 

The whole lot probably cost less than £250

Wow, that is a really clever set-up  - seriously cool

• Thanks 1

Removed my Boss GT-1000core so I’m back to being all analog for now.

34B7DF8A-7AA8-4965-B52B-8083181489F6.thumb.jpeg.f5afa6e60875831dee6861f2e3813dea.jpeg

Really love the amount of signal processing options the Core gives even if I wasn’t really using the fx and amp modelling aspects etc. Unfortunately it was introducing some extra variables, sometimes it’s nice to just simplify things completely.

Now I just have Tuner > EAE Longsword > EAE Model FeT > GK Fusion S 800 head. The FeT and the GK’s overdrive channel sounds fantastic. Not as much fancy multiband stuff going on and no more compression as I don’t have a standalone compressor. It’s way easier to work with.

• Like 4

Well here's mine! 

image.png.d94cf1435026d8c1eec7a02c46f48084.png

A dance of compressors and distortion pedals, but I've decided to run the Darkglass B7k into the ThorpyFX Fat General compressor clone which is working great as I'm always into evening out my clean and distorted signals...

5 outputs from my Harley Benton power supply, 5 pedals, all snug and tidy with flat patch cables from EBS... I should be (and am) a happy boy, but ah, I could squeeze in an octaver or something with the Nano Plus, couldn't I? :D 

Ander.

• Like 6

On 02/01/2023 at 09:43, Rattle&Drum said:

The Capo and the Noble are completely comparable, they are both preamp/DI pedalboard sized solutions? I literally compared them (and every other similar solution) and bought the Capo. 😅

@EmmettC if you like Ian Allison he also massively rates the Capo. 

Got a lot of GAS for the Capo and no funds. How are you finding it so far? If I sell some stuff perhaps I can justify picking it up. So little content out there for it though. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Got a lot of GAS for the Capo and no funds. How are you finding it so far? If I sell some stuff perhaps I can justify picking it up. So little content out there for it though. 

I own the capo, and it is such a marvelous device. And not only concerning a lively 3-D representation of one’s Basssound, but also as a Preamp, that works so well with synthsounds. Its strong and beautiful .

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, keziahj said:

I own the capo, and it is such a marvelous device. And not only concerning a lively 3-D representation of one’s Basssound, but also as a Preamp, that works so well with synthsounds. Its strong and beautiful .

I was just listening to some of the demos and think I could get everything I love about my Model FeT with GK Fusion S and lots more. As much as I love my GT1000core and the Model FeT I’d happily sell them on to fund a Capo. It sounds like it covers everything I’d want in a small package. 

Being able to get super warm cleans all the way to crunchy clanky mid heavy tones from a single preamp is a pretty awesome proposition.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I only received mine just before Christmas so still early days with it, I had to wait on a new batch being produced and it arrived just after weeks of Christmas dates with the band so not used it live yet. I’m usually gigging with no backline these days, pedalboard straight into the desk and IEMs, and while it’s worked great with a basic DI box on there it’s felt a bit bland so spent many hours perusing the many pre-amp/DIs available. 

I guess if money were no object and I didn’t have to wait a year I’d have bought a Noble to at least try it being as they are the DI du jour! But too expensive, too long a wait, too big, not interested in its power supply stuff, not sure I want potential for tube issues etc. Origin Bass Rig was on the shortlist but I don’t really want amp sim, just a great pre/DI. Capo ticked all the boxes for me - small, versatile, still got the boutique hand made thing if you dig that, reasonably sensible price and not too long a wait, and being raved about by some great players. 

I can say from home use only it’s fantastic. The build quality is excellent, super sturdy and feels very top end. Sound wise it has so much to offer, every tweak from the saturation circuits, to EQ, to the Deep/Bite buttons does something juicy to the sound that is going to be usable. Assuming this carries through to live sound I can see using it for years to come. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rattle&Drum said:

I only received mine just before Christmas so still early days with it, I had to wait on a new batch being produced and it arrived just after weeks of Christmas dates with the band so not used it live yet. I’m usually gigging with no backline these days, pedalboard straight into the desk and IEMs, and while it’s worked great with a basic DI box on there it’s felt a bit bland so spent many hours perusing the many pre-amp/DIs available. 

I guess if money were no object and I didn’t have to wait a year I’d have bought a Noble to at least try it being as they are the DI du jour! But too expensive, too long a wait, too big, not interested in its power supply stuff, not sure I want potential for tube issues etc. Origin Bass Rig was on the shortlist but I don’t really want amp sim, just a great pre/DI. Capo ticked all the boxes for me - small, versatile, still got the boutique hand made thing if you dig that, reasonably sensible price and not too long a wait, and being raved about by some great players. 

I can say from home use only it’s fantastic. The build quality is excellent, super sturdy and feels very top end. Sound wise it has so much to offer, every tweak from the saturation circuits, to EQ, to the Deep/Bite buttons does something juicy to the sound that is going to be usable. Assuming this carries through to live sound I can see using it for years to come. 

Awesome! I really like my current tone tbf but having to use multiple preamps gets fiddly to dial it in. Also the GK Fusion S OD channel sounds great but it always feels very disconnected from the clean channel to me. I’ve found myself having to rig it up with the GTK to allow me to apply a specific EQ depending on which channel is selected.

Going off the demos and reviews it sounds like this does everything I need in a convenient package. 

I won’t derail the thread any more than I have already 🤣

5 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I won’t derail the thread any more than I have already 🤣

I will! What about the 2 Notes Le Bass? Any opinions on that? I'm thinking of ordering the Noble but picking up a used Le Bass to use until it arrives. I'd like a clean valve tone, so perhaps the EBS valve drive will be a bit too dirty?

I like the look of the Capo, but it's a bit out of budget to get one of those and order a Noble...

8 minutes ago, EmmettC said:

I will! What about the 2 Notes Le Bass? Any opinions on that? I'm thinking of ordering the Noble but picking up a used Le Bass to use until it arrives. I'd like a clean valve tone, so perhaps the EBS valve drive will be a bit too dirty?

I like the look of the Capo, but it's a bit out of budget to get one of those and order a Noble...

Just order a Capo instead of a Noble - instant gratification! :) 

Might do everything you want and save you £800 extra, or if not can flog it and join the Noble queue. 

Edited by mattpbass
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, EmmettC said:

Funnily enough I’ve been eyeing up the Le Bass, sounds great for the most part but it’s a really awkward size/shape. From the clips I’ve heard the Capo wins in terms of tone and versatility but it’s not cheap.

It seems like the Two Notes Revolt Bass was a bit of a disappointment for people who’ve played a Le Bass.

Was tempted to pick one up as I could probable justify that without needing to sell anything first!

On 16/04/2022 at 08:30, 0175westwood29 said:

D9C426BB-5793-4831-90A7-4238BD79C159.thumb.jpeg.f0f85514defcef273ebeb93b1d079b0a.jpeg

changed again replaced the walrus ages with a moose electronics Cosmic Trigger and trying put the Kma Great Disruptor in place of my Boss PW-2 

How do you like the cosmic trigger?

• Like 3

On 05/01/2023 at 16:53, pbasspecial said:

So here’s my latest version:

Think it covers all the main food groups:

Wah > Tuner > Compessor > Octave > Drive > Phaser

BD8DA7D7-220F-4F69-8F6F-509743B828EF.jpeg

Used this at last nights gig and if I do say so myself, this worked an absolute charm. Well done me! 😂

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

It’s a pretty much always on pedal for me! It just makes everything sound bigger and better 

Nice!

Ive got him making a custom dual channel distortion pedal for me currently. I think i should have it this week!

• Like 1