Why become a member? ×

Custom Semi Acoustic Modifications

Andyjr1515

You know when I said "It'll be something daft like a missing earth or something"?

Well how about the "Actually, the volume knob on the amp I was testing it on just wasn't up high enough" daft reason :blush:

There were no strings on for my initial test and I was using the trick of just tapping the coil slugs with the end of a screwdriver...on an electric six string amp...at electric six string sort of volumes...

Happily, my checks for earth continuity etc, etc, merely involved looking with a torch and using a multimeter rather than taking all the gubbins out again. Having walked away from it for an hour or so, I thought "let's go back to basics...could it be the guitar lead, could it be a dud battery, could it be [b][i]the f*****g volume wasn't high enough"[/i][/b]

Ho Hum... all seems to work tickety-boo....everything :rolleyes: Result....sort of :lol:

Thanks for the kind words, folks :)

OK - we have a fully functioning bass:

Got some tidying up to do - and I need to see if I can drop one of the pots a little....it's a different spec to the rest and the knob is sitting a touch high - and I need to put a thicker bit of foam under the bridge pickup.

Then it's fitting some new strings Stuart has sent to me and final setup and see if I can polish out some of those historical belt-rash and dings a touch.

I don't use couriers with guitars and basses over a weekend but this should be on its way back to Stuart on Monday :D

Just for the record, this is it, new strings, all set up and - apart from a couple of gold screws I'm going to replace - ready to go :) It's quite a bass...

...and so onto starting the EB3 style SG Bass for our old-gits-band's bassist. :D

As always, thanks for the comments and encouragement along the way :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1468862075' post='3093875']
Looking forward to following this thread - love Andy's work so I'm confident that Stuart's going to be happy...
[/quote]

Well Mick, you were right.... :D
Superb work. Thank you Andy.
I can't wait to get my hands on it!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1469817498' post='3101332']
It started looking nice and ended looking gorgeous. Cracking job Andy!

An archtop bass is third on my to-build list :)
[/quote]
Hi, Norris :)

A six string carved top archtop electric has been on my list for ages. Seeing the skill and work clearly put into this original build has made me have second thoughts!

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1469814343' post='3101314']
Stunning work. I love the hatch on the back. You have to look closely to see it. Can we hear what it sounds like?
[/quote]

I actually don't have a bass rig but I will do some sound clips on my little valve guitar amp. It won't give any idea in absolute terms , but the comparative differences across the many settings may be of interest.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1469818222' post='3101340']

Hi, Norris :)

A six string carved top archtop electric has been on my list for ages. Seeing the skill and work clearly put into this original build has made me have second thoughts!
[/quote]
As you've probably gathered, I can do slow & patient :D

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1469814343' post='3101314']
Stunning work. I love the hatch on the back. You have to look closely to see it. Can we hear what it sounds like?
[/quote]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/custom-semi-acoustic-bass"]I've done some simple recordings - all of the same sequence- directly through a Focusrite Scarlett interface into Ableton Live with no effects applied on Soundcloud here [/url]

Each switch position is announced before a small clip and includes:[list]
[*]Bridge (full humbucker); Middle; Neck
[*]Bridge (full humbucker) with no boost; with full mids boost; with full bass boost; with full mids and bass boost
[*]Middle postion with no boost; with full mids boost; with full bass boost; with full mids and bass boost
[*]Neck position with no boost; with full mids boost; with full bass boost; with full mids and bass boost
[*]Middle position (with bridge pickup in split coil mode) with no boost; with full mids boost; with full bass boost; with full mids and bass boost
[/list]
What it will actually sound like will obviously be hugely influenced by the rig it goes through but this hopefully gives some indication of the huge variety of sounds.

I haven't done any recordings with full treble boost - the impact through my rig seems less than with the bass and mids boosts and, of course, this is where the hiss will be most audible.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1469913565' post='3102009']
Wow! Above and beyond the call of duty. As much attention to detail on the sound samples as you have put into the physical work. Thank you very much. I love the tones when the neck pu is blended in.
[/quote]
It's an interesting combination of pickups with a single coil in the neck position. With fully variable tone boost or cut for all three levels, plus the split coil option and also the undemonstrated slap control on the push pull, there's almost no tone that is out of reach

Speaking as the man that knows what it [i]used [/i]to sound like, both when it was new and when the last bout of 'repairs' was done, I can safely say that this is unrecognisable.
The originally fitted KA preamp circuit, was[i] very[/i] noisy, for reasons I'm still not completely clear about, and the bass after the circuit was removed, simply sounded flat.
This, is frankly, amazing work.

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1469942508' post='3102125']
Speaking as the man that knows what it [i]used [/i]to sound like, both when it was new and when the last bout of 'repairs' was done, I can safely say that this is unrecognisable.
The originally fitted KA preamp circuit, was[i] very[/i] noisy, for reasons I'm still not completely clear about, and the bass after the circuit was removed, simply sounded flat.
This, is frankly, amazing work.
[/quote]
:)