Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, narrow-necked 5 stringers...

Paul S

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1469439052' post='3098211']
Mine was a 5er. If I recall, ther string spacing at the bridge was on the neat side of 16mm - maybe even less. Nice through neck, and decent Jazz-type sound. Pre-amp was ok too.
[/quote]

Occurs to me that we were talking about exactly the same bass as I traded it off you!

And it was 15mm!
[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/IMG_2891%201_zpsaxw2nl9w.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Woodinblack

My "old faithful" is an Aria Pro MAB 20/5 string - it would match what you're after too. The neck is more substantial than an Ibanez SR series, but not by much. Really light (mine is about 8 - 8 1/2lbs I would guess - and that's with a heavy Schaller 3D roller bridge). Mine sounds great after nearly 25 years of playing it. Really resonant and a better B string than any bass of it's price has a right to have! Cheap as chips when they come up too.

I'm struggling with the 16.5mm spacing on my Ibanez SR305, after years of playing on four stringers spaced at 18-19mm, and may have to move it on. I don't want to really as it ticks all the other boxes, sub 9lbs and well balanced.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1469775521' post='3100920']
I'm struggling with the 16.5mm spacing on my Ibanez SR305, after years of playing on four stringers spaced at 18-19mm, and may have to move it on. I don't want to really as it ticks all the other boxes, sub 9lbs and well balanced.
[/quote]

i had exactly the same problem when i got my 5er even though id been playing an SR 4 string for years, but i say stick with it as i barely pick up my 4 now as the 5 is such a nice bass to play. still have the occasional brain fart when playing but nearly there

Just for completion's sake of my input in this, my new Musicman Sterling 5 string has just arrived all the way from Greece. Wow. Everything I hoped for and more - quality bit of kit - really powerful, growly, light, narrow neck. And it is black and maple!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1468758622' post='3093120']
I had a Yamaha TRBX505 and although i dont remember the weigh tit was light compared to my Squier CV 4 strings. Nut width is 43mm as well.

[url="http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/trbx/trbx505/?mode=model"]http://usa.yamaha.co...505/?mode=model[/url]
[/quote]

that's mine now Dave I just weighed it, 7.93lbs..how about THAT then?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1471356067' post='3112424']
Peavey Grind.

I do seem to be saying that rather a lot.
[/quote]

Yes, the Cirrus basses were pretty nice too - I think they're making a return too.