Why become a member? ×

TAB vs tab

ras52

Guitar/bass tablature notation seems to be a cut-down version of lute tablature, of which there are at least three versions: French/English, Italian, and German. Lute tablature is also used for some types of viola da gamba playing (which is a bowed isntrument).[attachment=222927:LV03.jpg]
The photo is from a book I have: a facsimile edition from 1682 for playing the viol 'lyra way' by Playford.

You'll note that lute tablature uses flags above the staff to indicate rhythm.

I'll be honest, I don't see the point in tab for guitars/basses without the rhythm. Notation is not hard to learn, takes practice to get fluent, but so does playing.

Edited by zbd1960

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1467893853' post='3087085']
Hm...
[/quote]

Ok, perhaps my definition of sight reading is being stretched a little. I can listen to a song to get a feel for the rhythm then play along by sight reading the tab. Rhythm is best left to the ears rather than the eyes if a recording is available.

Edited by dannybuoy

Tab is a quick way for non readers to get the jist of a song they already have in their head slightly quicker than working it out by ear

It has its place , but is limited

I can't read and only Google for tabs if I'm in a hurry , as you'll always habe to alter it (it's never 100% but can save a bit of time)

Also it's often written with open strings instead of more comfortable positions (for me at least)

If you can read I see why you knock it , but it has some use to many , I remember my first bass book of riffs was in both notation and tab , I had no idea how to read , but the tab got me playing at least .

In an effort to get back on topic, I think the capitalisation has occurred because the legend TAB is often written (descending vertically) at the start of a piece, to distinguish it from the standard notation:

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1467886032' post='3086954']
I suppose because I grew up in the pre-tab/Tab/TAB world, I have never seen the point in it.
A lot harder to learn and apply than standard notation for me.

[/quote]

From experience I can assure you that, for a novice player who wants to learn how to play his/her favourite songs, tab is far quicker. It's much more of a quick fix as it takes virtually no time to become accustomed to. It's missing a lot of information, but for a bunch of unkempt 15 year olds trying to play along to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath it was more than sufficient.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1467906958' post='3087239']
In an effort to get back on topic, I think the capitalisation has occurred because the legend TAB is often written (descending vertically) at the start of a piece, to distinguish it from the standard notation:

[/quote]

Oooh look! It gives you the rhythm too.....Now there's a thing :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1467906958' post='3087239']

[/quote]

Funny that it has to say TAB, just incase you don't know

Not learning to read is a real regret of mine

In a blatant effort to de-rail this thread... :)

Can I please ask this here as I don't see this as a good subject for a whole thread on it's own.

Here's a section from a book, of which I'm doubtfully the lucky owner.
Take a look at where it goes from bars 2 to 3. According to the score, the note stays consistent. Yet the TAB/tab/Tab changes by an octave...

Don't you love books? Listening to the Beatles track, to me it sounds like a change in chord, but something here isn't right. Are all books as doubtful as this? Or is this book a real gem?

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1467910219' post='3087270']
Probably no room to fit the ledger lines and the notator thought.........."sod it, it's only the bass that'll do"
[/quote]
Or, more like, "it's only bass, no doubt the ignorant ******s can't read notation anyway, they'll all just follow the Tab/TAB/tab."