Why become a member? ×

Loot scammer emails.

I'm selling a pretty good full Hartke rig on Loot (and also via FB) and I got the following email via loot from a buyer at a gmail address:

Someone is interested in your ad:
Here’s their message:
- Email: (the email address at gmail)
- Message: How much is the last price of your goods.Patrick B*****

-------------------------------------------------------

I replied:
The Burns Bison bass is £300 as priced. The Hartke rig is £500 as priced.
-------------------------------------------------------

Then I got this:

[b]From: **** [/b][b]Sent:[/b] 02 July 2016 13:36 [b]To:[/b] Ian [b]Subject:[/b] Re: FW: Loot and Bargain Pages: Interested Buyer!

I am deaf and disabled and also am Okay with the price but I will not be able to pick up the goods but I will arrange the pick up with my bank or PayPal kindly pls let me know if you are okay with bank to bank transfer or PayPal transfer so as to proceed with payment.Thank you
--------------------------------------------------

I have replied:
"I would appreciate confirmation of who would collect and when. Whereabouts are you based?

I would take payment via paypal when I do agree a sale. (My paypal ID is [u]not[/u] linked to this email address).
I have other people interested in the Hartke gear. Please do not take this as agreement to sell to you yet.

Ian"
---------------------------------------------------

He's just replied: "I will make payment with PayPal and they will arrange for me on who to collect OK"

It reads totally like a scammer to me. What do you guys think?

Edited by 12stringbassist

I sell a lot of stuff on gumtree.
This is a scam, avoid.

I get a lot if messages like How much is the last price of your goods", always dodgy.

They work of scripts and never refer to your item by name.
It's always "I am interested in your musical instrument"
Or "interested in your music item".

They pay by PayPal then use several methods to claim their money back once they have the item.

Definite scam, what happens is they send you an email from PayPal stating that they've paid you, but more than the amount you want. The extra should have gone to the courier company to collect it on their behalf. So they ask you to transfer the alleged over payment money straight to the courier details they give you. Then they disappear. So you're out of pocket as they never transferred the original amount.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1467467595' post='3083905']
I sell a lot of stuff on gumtree.
This is a scam, avoid.

I get a lot if messages like How much is the last price of your goods", always dodgy.

They work of scripts and never refer to your item by name.
It's always "I am interested in your musical instrument"
Or "interested in your music item".

They pay by PayPal then use several methods to claim their money back once they have the item.
[/quote]

Yes. I had an ipad on Gumtree and got the same email. I called their bluff about my 'item' and told them yes that would be fine, howver, one of the wheels has fallen off.
This did not deter them. They still wanted it! :lol:

Edited by Hobbayne

I wonder if they actually read the replies ?

I'm selling an M-Audio keyboard on Gumtree, I had yet another email this morning, Basically the same as before, is it still available. I replied yes it is, they replied great then I will take it, however I can't come personally because I'm deaf and in a wheelchair.....etc.

I replied no problem, I want it to go to a good home, someone who'll look after it. You will make sure to feed it twice a day, and take it for a good long walk at least once a day won't you ?

Their reply, yes no problem, please let me know the collection address and PayPal details 😊.

Edited by ambient