Why become a member? ×

Spyware warning

gapiro

I'm guessing you're all using Scansafe as a SaaS service via BT.

I checked the site through a connection with a Juniper on it, and it went straight through.

There's no sign of anything untoward having been added to the site so, in the absence of any further detail, I can only conclude that it's either a false positive, or Scansafe saw an inline advert that it didn't like.

If anyone can get some detail of what Scansafe actually saw, that'd give me a bit more to go on...

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1465562766' post='3069293']
Ditto (and also Cisco). I PMed ped too
[/quote]

Norris helpfully sent me some detail by PM if it's any help:

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]From what little information I have, the alert seems to have come from the Cisco WBRS reputation system. The site is classed as "Streaming Audio" and has been identified as containing malware."[/font][/color]

Not on here, but I had something similar on coffeforums.co.uk a while back , whereby objections seemed to be connected to the moving banner at the top of the page. Currently on this page they're showing Rotosound and Elixir.
I have no idea of the technicalities of these things!

I assume it must be related to an advert. No BC content strikes me as the sort of stuff that could be a vector for malware unless the server has been compromised. The scanner must have picked up something delivered by an ad server. I'm sure that Cisco have a procedure for investigating and removing the alert. Hopefully they should be able to tell you the specific content that triggered it.

Btw, I'm a programmer but have a background in computer ops & engineering. In the dim & distant past though, hence the slight vagueness :D

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1465577306' post='3069433']
Not on here, but I had something similar on coffeforums.co.uk a while back , whereby objections seemed to be connected to the moving banner at the top of the page. Currently on this page they're showing Rotosound and Elixir.
I have no idea of the technicalities of these things!
[/quote]

Aha. Elixir updated their banner a few days ago. Perhaps that's causing issues. I'll speak to them if it continues being a problem

Thanks guys

Well, looking at how WBRS works, Basschat itself should pass WBRS without a problem.

I'm guessing it saw an inline advert it wasn't keen on and blocked the site automatically.

As it's a cloud based service, anyone using the standard setup of ScanSafe will see the site as blocked.

The way round it is to get one of the IT Admins to whitelist the site, nothing we can do from this end as far as I can see.

I've just had a look at the Cisco web site. There is a page that allows you to look up websites and email addresses. BC is still rated as "Poor". Investigating a bit further I found a section that said you need to raise a support ticket with Cisco if you want them to re-evaluate if you are confident that the site does not contain any malicious content.

In other words it will remain blocked until someone starts a dialogue with Cisco to get it resolved