Why become a member? ×

Where naughty music venues go when they die ...

Happy Jack

The Rising Sun in Sudbury Hill - remember it?

In theory it's now my local. Erm ... oh no it isn't.

It's now a truly godawful combination of atrocious pub, service-free curry house, and flophouse of the worst possible sort, masquerading as a 3-star family hotel.

Here are the last two years' worth of reviews from Hotels.com, unedited and unexpurgated. Most of the clients seem to have been Irish, Polish, Indian or Middle Eastern so much of what follows was written by people so appalled and offended that they were prepared to struggle through writing in a foreign language to leave their opinions.

Most recent first:

[color=#0000ff]Worst hotel I've ever stayed in by some distance!! If this is what hotels.com promote I shall never use them again. Avoid this place like the plague or in all probability you'll contract the plague. The place is filthy.[/color]

[color=#008000]Very rude staff and hidden prices were introduced at the time of check in[/color]

[color=#0000ff]I got to the hotel and I was told my booking was not available. I was offered another room and asked to pay the difference. I wasn't happy, but I had no choice.There was also no proper car park. We had to park in a block of flats. Carpet was filthy, There was so many cracks on wall, Bed was outdated, Curtains was hanging out of the track, also coming in through a restaurant to get into the hotel wasn't nice. Bathroom was dirty and had stain in the bathroom and towels on the floor. To make matter worst, The light switch went off in the morning. We stayed in room 007. I wish I had read other reviews prior to booking. Please stay well clear.[/color]

[color=#008000]On arrival found the hotel very basic like somebody had turned an every day bedroom into a hotel room there were no room keys as the previos people had left with them .when we came back to our room in the evening to relax it was like sleeping above a night club .Not somewhere i would recomend to anybody[/color]

[color=#0000ff]On arrival at hotel after a day's work and booking a en suite room Went straight to the shower No hot water I complain he said he would fix for the following day after having a look at it Same problem second and third day He told me to use the one down the corridor I'm a big fella and the towel supplied only went half way around me very embarrassing[/color]

[color=#008000]Maybe one of the worst I have ever stopped in stayed 2 nights and both nights we had no hot water in are room. The carpets were mucky through out the hotel.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]It was dirty and noisy. The black carpet on the stairs was once probably red, and this is just the beginning. When I arrived I had to wait for several minutes before someone came for the check out. They were very rude and they kept talking to each others in Indian so I couldn't understand a single word, in the end they just gave me the keys and a remote. They asked me 10£ for insurance (nothing about it was mentioned when I booked the hotel), but gave me a room where the door was already broken. Luckily I managed to be very careful with it and I didn't break it completely, but a more distracted person would probably break the door. So I had the impression that it was a trap placed there to keep people's money. The bathroom didn't even have a proper floor, there was a sort of red/brown partially stripped concrete instead. The toilet, the sink and the tub were yellowish and I don't think they have ever been properly cleaned. It was Friday, and they organised karaoke in the restaurant downstairs. It was extremely noisy and inappropriate, I needed some sleep because the day after I had to sit an important exam, and they went on until 2.30 am. I don't think they should organise this kind of events since the structure is not isolated. I ran away at 7 in the morning and I hope I will never see that place again.[/color]

[color=#008000]Dirty room,no staff,No room service,dirty carpet,Smell,Dirty carpet on stairs.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Poor organising, when I got there my room was a tip. They put me in another room, then next day at 3pm I got a phone call saying you need to move all your stuff out or of will do it to the tip room. at no point did any staff say once we clean the tip room you need to move back into it. No head board on bed, bed condition was poor, noise from live band down stairs makes sleeping difficult[/color]

[color=#008000]The shower screen was filthy. The electrical socket outlets were damage/not working, there were extention leads trailed across the floor(risk of trips!) The other end of the extension lead was left coiled up(risk of fire!) There was no fan in the bathroom. The bed was uncomfortable, woke up with stiff joints(I'm 28 and very active) There was a further charge for the room key(refundable, but still!) Only paid £55 for the night but that is no excuse for poor maintenance and poor hygiene!![/color]

[color=#0000ff]I never see a dirty Hotel like befor in my life, the was very dirty, the bouthroom didint had light, the stears was very dirty.[/color]

[color=#008000]Shocking. Very dirty carpets were filthy room was filthy beds were filthy sheets filthy bathroom stunk staff unhelpful[/color]

[color=#0000ff]There was blood on the carpet and the room had not been cleaned in a very long time.[/color]

[color=#008000]I stayed 23/24/05/2015 for two nights. Good neighbourhood. Hard bed very dirty carpet. Pillows and mattress are seemed from 1920. Totally worn out. Found two big black insect in bath tab. There were tea bags sugar but no cattle after asking RECEIPTION they advised to take water from toilet. Ordered breakfast down it took like you have ordered a evening meal. After such s long time came dirty omlate never derv in 61 yrs. totally rubbish[/color]

[color=#0000ff]This was by far the most vile, filthy, unhygienic excuse for a hotel I have ever experienced. I paid for 2 nights and MANAGED to stay 1. Firstly, when I went into my room it was pitch black as the curtains weren't drawn. I attempted to draw them and they fell off the window. With daylight, there were cigarette burns everywhere in the carpet, cracked and damp walls and it was generally a horrific mess! Secondly, I noticed the presentation was gloomy and dirty. Everywhere I looked, there was dust and cigarette burns. Furthermore, at night when we were TRYING to sleep, directly underneath our hovel of a room, was a very loud a wild party until early hours of the morning. I was rudely awoken at 3am by the fire alarm to which nobody reacted except us. At 6am, we woke up for work and we had noticed the electric had blown. Following this, we turned on the shower to notice it was only producing cold water.[/color]

[color=#008000]I have never had the misfortune to stay in such a dirty and poorly maintained hotel in my life. The stained carpet that lead to upstairs, the staned and torn carpet in the room was just the start of it. The staff were not overly helpful or interested in our welfare either. The wall and carpet stains in the room were without a doubt bodily fluids, the dirt and stains in the bathroom were unacceptable. The only saving grace was the sheets were crisp and clean! We chose not to take breakfast on the grounds the kitchen will have same hygiene standards.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Hotels own website,describes it as unique, excellent customer service with luxury to make your stay as memorable as possible. Does the local council not have a trading standard department? This is one sad hotel, where i felt more like a intruder than a paying guest. The furniture and carpets look like they come out of a skip, and i dont think the antique curtains and mattress would meet current fire regulations. Wouldnt stay here again. I would advise people to do there homework before booking any hotel online.[/color]

[color=#008000]Very noisy traffic function room loud music the shower was very dirty not been cleaned for ages properly bed linen clean but bed broke do not stay here health warning[/color]

[color=#0000ff]The dirtiest hotel I have ever slept in, we were only using it for the bed but the room itself was disgusting. It's cheap for a reason.[/color]

[color=#008000]This was the most awful hotel I have stayed in. Booking through this website seemed to cause the reception staff great confusion and the person had to constantly ask advice. I had to wait while they checked and double checked my booking and tried to charge me £20 over what I had booked on this site. I complained and showed them the confirmation email. They were still disbelieving and mumbled to each other.The room was disgusting! It was filthy. The walls were incredibly grubby. There was a desk but no chair so I had on work on the bed which was very uncomfortable. The en-suite was very badly fitted and although fitments were clean the walls and skirting boards were disgusting. The window was also broken so I had enormous amounts of traffic noise and was extremely cold. Dreadful experience.[/color]

This is an article from last week about the sole remaining pub in my village. We have played there many times, most recently last April.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14528485.Mouldy_liver_pate_and_rat_droppings_leads_to_zero_rating_for_West_Oxfordshire_pub/

Many a pub in High Wycombe has gone down the toobs since we frequented them in the 1960/70s.
The Nags Head aka The Blues Loft is burnt into my brain forever.
Other pubs and youth clubs we played are now car parks, £1 shops, lawyers offices, ladida maisonettes etc.
Happy daze and nights remembered.

But the best is this (sorry Jack I'm going to trump you):

Me and Mrs.JN were married on 6th June 1970 and our first flat was the top two stories of what is now The Ambassador Court Hotel in High Wycombe.

Upstairs in the roof was the sitting room and kitchen and we went downstairs to bed and the bathroom.

This is it today: https://www.ambassadorcourthotel.co.uk/

Our flat was in the rhs of the two original semis which have been knocked together.

The rent was £5/week all inclusive, part furnished.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1465308162' post='3066978']
The Rising Sun in Sudbury Hill - remember it?
[/quote]

Gordon Bennett that takes me back! My grandparents lived in Horsenden Crescent on the 60's, I remember seeing the pub when coming out of the station opposite as a wee lad of about 7. What I remember most is going to Woolies though :) That was a treat back then!!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1465334522' post='3067374']
Gordon Bennett that takes me back! My grandparents lived in Horsenden Crescent on the 60's, [/quote]

Small world. Our singer, Frankie Reid, also lived in Horsenden Crescent, approx 1972.

We used to rehearse the full band in his front room!!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1465345020' post='3067476']
Played the White Horse in High Wycombe when it was a biker pub. We were on after the strippers ...
[/quote]

The White Horse is 150 yards down the same road as The Ambassador Court Hotel.

No bands or strippers in our day, though. :(

Edited by Jazzneck