Why become a member? ×

Don't yer just love clients.

leschirons

Leaving at 2p.m. for a big function gig 170 kms away. Huge 50th birthday bash in a chateau ballroom.

Taking full kit with us. (Huge HK P.A., full lighting rig and everything else associated with the band.

E-mail at 11am. this morning to the singer.

We've decided to put up a large open ended marquee to welcome all the guests before going in so could you set up outside first, play some quieter numbers for an hour from 18.00 - 19.00 whilst guests arrive and have drinks and then after that, move your equipment inside for the main party event in the evening :blink:

Er, no

(But we're not unreasonable so the singer and me will do an hour of acoustic jazzy pop stuff and I'm taking a little P.A. to set up in the grounds)

I play in several orchestras and groups (typically between 30 and 70 players). It never ceases to amaze me how 'unrealistic' people are who book you for a concert/gig. I've learnt that if I'm involved with the organisation of the event to have a thorough 'reality check' discussion with the organisers

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1463830229' post='3054373']
Doesn't seem that unreasonable. Bands I've played for have often been asked to. It would cost more though.
[/quote]

Well we have offered them a no extra cost solution which they've happily agreed to having had the logistics explained to them.

A long time ago I offered to do a friends wedding for free (yup, that long ago). It was in a very posh brand new rebuilt hotel just down the road in the same village....I set up early (around midday) so that I wouldn't be under anyones feet & said I'd be back by seven....then the hotel gets sh*tty because they don't have a music system.....they expected me to provide music (for free) for around ten hours or so....(no, I didn't, before you ask).

:unsure:

That's great service from the Op. Bands that are prepared to offer a compromise when asked to do something impossible at silly short notice will get booked again. My experiences have usually been that brides, grooms, birthday people etc are usually more understanding and prepared to listen than hotels and venues who see the band as little more than an inconvenience.

Slightly off topic but...............a few years ago I worked in the exhibition industry building stands. We built a stand for a camera accessory company one time at the NEC. The thing was the size of a house. The day before the show opened the clients turned up to inspect the stand and after a good look around one of the Directors said they were very impressed and loved everything but was the any chance we could turn it round so that it was facing the Nikon stand. I have no idea how such stupid people manage to get such high paid jobs.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1463833468' post='3054419']
That's great service from the Op. Bands that are prepared to offer a compromise when asked to do something impossible at silly short notice will get booked again. My experiences have usually been that brides, grooms, birthday people etc are usually more understanding and prepared to listen than hotels and venues who see the band as little more than an inconvenience.
[/quote]venue I played last night were true professionals and we're very helpful and cooperative to us. It's all about being a good person too. Halfway through the night the venue manager phone went flat and we lent her a charger to charge it with... Little things like that show you as good humans and make wthem likely to recommend you

Set up for last weekends gig at 2:30pm, we were on at 11. Not a great start, then we had to mix ourselves off stage, provide our own monitoring, (this is a corporate do for 500 people, events company were quids in) then after the soundcheck we had to clear off all our stuff, although we did persuade them to leave the kit. Had 5 minutes to get it all back on stage ready for our slot. Took half an hour of playing to relax and feel like we were actually doing a gig not a logistical endurance exercise.