Why become a member? ×

DR FatBeams bought from Amazon. Am i missing something. ?

bubinga5

I was given a £30 amazon voucher and want to buy my favourite string. Does Marcus Miller still have his name to these.? this seems very cheap for a 5 string set of DR's. The reviews are going on about Nickel strings.? Fat Beams are steel with a round core. Can anyone point me in the right direction with Amazon. Ive always used DR Marcus Miller fats, but I'm confused by amazon. [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strings-FAT-BEAMS-FB5-45-Medium-stainless/dp/B009P6E9ZW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1463696799&sr=1-1&keywords=dr+fat+beam+5+string"]http://www.amazon.co...t+beam+5+string[/url]

others want £40+ with £8 + postage which is in the realm of what i expect to pay. Does anyone buy strings from amazon.?

Ive looked on DR's website and it seems MM is no longer endorsing these.?

Edited by bubinga5

I buy strings from wherever I can get them cheapest. Buy them if the price is ridiculously low from amazon, if the product is somehow not right, return it hassle free, but it seems amazon often is able to sell stuff at prices unimaginably low.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1463701408' post='3053555']
[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/css/order-history?ie=UTF8&ref_=nav__gno_yam_yrdrs&"]https://www.amazon.c..._gno_yam_yrdrs[/url] this is my Amazon order this evening.
[/quote]

When I click on that link I only see my own recent Amazon orders. For half a second I thought you'd been ordering exactly the same books as me...

I'm 90% certain that Marcus has switched his endorsement to Dunlop Super Brights, his name was on the pack I bought in December last year.

With DRs it does seem to pay to shop around, you see pretty significant price differences even between different sellers on the Amazon market place, you may just have got a very good deal.

Edited by Cato

I always get my strings from Mike Griggs' ' Strings and Beyond' in the USA. He often offers free shipping. last week I received a set of DR black beauties (5s) and a set of daddario Chromes (5s) for a total of £51. Incidentally, I never seem to attract any import duties - has the limit gone up?

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1463733365' post='3053642']
I always get my strings from Mike Griggs' ' Strings and Beyond' in the USA. He often offers free shipping. last week I received a set of DR black beauties (5s) and a set of daddario Chromes (5s) for a total of £51. Incidentally, I never seem to attract any import duties - has the limit gone up?
[/quote]

No you've just been lucky. What is the value marked on the customs form?

I think Marcus has switched to Dunlop super bright steels. Worth trying them out as they are cheaper (than the usual DR price that is, not your lucky £21 purchase)! If they are good enough for Marcus...

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1463734094' post='3053649']
I think Marcus has switched to Dunlop super bright steels. Worth trying them out as they are cheaper (than the usual DR price that is, not your lucky £21 purchase)! If they are good enough for Marcus...
[/quote]

I've just ordered up a set of these to give them a go... not tried them before.

I was initially disapointed with the Super Brights, as I just didn't think that they were as bright or zingy as the name would suggest. After I got over that I found myself quite liking them.

They also seem very smooth for a round wound, or at least the DR Hi Beams felt very rough after I switched back to them.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1463742782' post='3053739']
I was initially disapointed with the Super Brights, as I just didn't think that they were as bright or zingy as the name would suggest.
[/quote]

bugger... I was hoping they would be... well.. super bright :mellow: