Why become a member? ×

For Chuck Berry Fans

grandad

Dang! Youboob have streamed it in ADP. I want to listen to it offline later but I can't get the mp4 version to stream so's I can save it locally. Looks like a belter though. Really clean sound at the start anyway.

Cheers, I might break a rule and stream it later.

Aaaaaah a video of a man playing exactly the number of notes specified on his invoice! Such a phoned in performance in so many parts, as befits Mr Berry's reputation.

A while back I got a DVD of Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry backed by an All star backing band to review. Bo's set turns into a party jam at the end. So after the end of Berry's brief set Ronnie tries to coax Chuck over his contracted note limit in a similar way. Chuck puts the guitar down on stage and walks off. Not to be deterred Ronnie pulls him back on and physically places the guitar strap over Chuck's head. After a minor contretemps Chuck finally relents in poor grace and Ronnie thinks he's won. However, what Chuck does is starts playing THIS not one of his rock and roll classics while if I recall correctly Daisley, Chen, Sarzo, Hammond Jr., Philanganes and Wood try to work out what is happening...

http://youtu.be/un59ZLOti9Y

Once you know that, the best bit of this clip is the cutaways to Ronnie Wood being a mixture of totally bemused and trying not to be absolutely furious!

Edited by TrevorR

Finally got it all down and stitched together...

Very interesting. The interview is quite tense. The language barrier would be my first guess as to why but apparently not if what you say about his rep is so. One of the German interviewers breaks off suddenly to catch a plane and leaves the other one to cover their side of the gig. Priceless.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1463007622' post='3047854']
Aaaaaah a video of a man playing exactly the number of notes specified on his invoice! Such a phoned in performance in so many parts, as befits Mr Berry's reputation.

A while back I got a DVD of Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry backed by an All star backing band to review. Bo's set turns into a party jam at the end. So after the end of Berry's brief set Ronnie tries to coax Chuck over his contracted note limit in a similar way. Chuck puts the guitar down on stage and walks off. Not to be deterred Ronnie pulls him back on and physically places the guitar strap over Chuck's head. After a minor contretemps Chuck finally relents in poor grace and Ronnie thinks he's won. However, what Chuck does is starts playing THIS not one of his rock and roll classics while if I recall correctly Daisley, Chen, Sarzo, Hammond Jr., Philanganes and Wood try to work out what is happening...

[media]http://youtu.be/un59ZLOti9Y[/media]

Once you know that, the best bit of this clip is the cutaways to Ronnie Wood being a mixture of totally bemused and trying not to be absolutely furious!
[/quote]
Nice story. Seems Chuck didn't give a F##k, a true Punk lol.

Chuck Berry was very badly treated in the early days. As far as I know, he wasn't treated any worse than the other black performers at the time but the way he reacted was pretty unique and nasty. For the rest of his life he treated his fellow musicians very badly and short changed his audiences at every gig.

I love Chuck Berry's music and what he started, but I have a very strong dislike for him as a person. I don't think he's a Punk, just very vindictive and nasty.

He has certainly had a large chip on his shoulder for a long time. This is very evident in the 1987 movie 'Hail Hail Rock n Roll'.
If you have n't seen it, it shows Keith Richards attempting to put together a top notch band to back Chuck for a concert to celebrate
his 60th birthday. Lots of rehearsal footage (with some strained moments) to get the band sorted. And then the gig? Chuck just
does his usual winging it routine, even playing some stuff in different keys, much to Keith's annoyance! Great film nevertheless.

I've seen Chuck in concert many times, some great and some just okay. Always entertaining although playing to his contracted
time to the minute! No encores, just pick up the case with the cash in it, guitar and coat and straight into the Mercedes which he
rents in Europe and often drives himself. His rider below is certainly interesting!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/chuck-berry

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463046528' post='3048008']
He has certainly had a large chip on his shoulder for a long time. This is very evident in the 1987 movie 'Hail Hail Rock n Roll'.
If you have n't seen it, it shows Keith Richards attempting to put together a top notch band to back Chuck for a concert to celebrate
his 60th birthday. Lots of rehearsal footage (with some strained moments) to get the band sorted. And then the gig? Chuck just
does his usual winging it routine, even playing some stuff in different keys, much to Keith's annoyance! Great film nevertheless.

I've seen Chuck in concert many times, some great and some just okay. Always entertaining although playing to his contracted
time to the minute! No encores, just pick up the case with the cash in it, guitar and coat and straight into the Mercedes which he
rents in Europe and often drives himself. His rider below is certainly interesting!

[url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/chuck-berry"]http://www.thesmokin...ile/chuck-berry[/url]
[/quote]

If you get the two DVD set which includes "the making of" it shows even more gory detail of the same. Chuck repeatedly not showing up, stalling for time, refusing to co-operate and THEN when the project was running over refusing to continue until he was paid extra over the hours he was contracted to do due to his own bad attitude.
Having said that, he feels he was royally shafted by first the white racist system which put him in prison for armed robbery (he actually used just a broken off pistol barrel - but the cashier wouldn't have known that). Being repeatedly abused in prison by the guards and then when he made it being ripped off something senseless by Payola and Alan Freed and the record companies who took a large chunk of his royalties "or else". He almost bankrupted himself in regaining the exclusive royalties which took him a few decades. He has a clock in the wings which counts down his contracted hours and hits his last note as the last second ticks. You really do only get what you pay for with Chuck.

edit: met him for a few minutes after a gig in Edinburgh, reluctant to sign a CD cover for me at first but mellowed. A very quietly spoken man, and at 68 as he was then much taller than I expected.

Edited by Big_Stu

I met him briefly after a gig at Nottingham some 20 years ago. Also found him softly spoken but polite, and tall!!
Had a chat with him, then watched him get into the rented Merc parked outside and drive off quite quickly. Only
problem being it was onto an apparently empty 2 or 3 lane ring road, but in the wrong direction! The traffic lights changed
and lots of vehicles started heading towards the Merc. Quick as a flash Chuck did a smoking 180 degree turn and sped off ahead.
For a few seconds I actually thought I was going to witness the demise of one of rock's most influential figures....

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463086934' post='3048548']
I met him briefly after a gig at Nottingham some 20 years ago. Also found him softly spoken but polite, and tall!!
Had a chat with him, then watched him get into the rented Merc parked outside and drive off quite quickly. Only
problem being it was onto an apparently empty 2 or 3 lane ring road, but in the wrong direction! The traffic lights changed
and lots of vehicles started heading towards the Merc. Quick as a flash Chuck did a smoking 180 degree turn and sped off ahead.
For a few seconds I actually thought I was going to witness the demise of one of rock's most influential figures....
[/quote]

:o