Why become a member? ×

Replacing tuners on my Precision

Fred Leicester

My Fender Precision RW is great, except for the neck dive which is becoming a real pain. I've read that replacing the tuners for lighter ones can sort this out, but I can't seem to find definite information about which make/model will fit with the least hassle.

Has anyone got any experience of changing tuners on a P bass like mine? Been looking at Gotoh and Hipshot but I just want to make sure I order the right/best ones. Not too bothered about the cost, but just curing the dive.... Any suggestions?

Half inch Hipshot Ultralites. If you buy direct and tell them all about what you're fitting them to, they'll make sure you get the right ones. They can even, for instance, change the shaft length if you want. Not necessarily the cheapest option, though.

Cheers chaps. I've got a 50s Precision Road Worn (Mexican). Been having a look on the net but just want to make sure I get direct replacements or as near to what I have already - I'm not that confident with drilling additional holes and the like to fit new ones, so if I can avoid that if possible!

I've got both a RW P and a RW J, and I don't experience any neck dive at all.... I'm amazed you do
Both seem perfectly balanced to me....

One thing that can throw me occasionally though, is the reverse tuners. It's not a bother to me, but I could see that some folk might want to replace them. I would say in your case, they probably won't make much difference to the overall weight though
Let us know how you get on - I'm intrigued ;)

Also wanted to add;
Not only does my RW P seem to have perfect balance (i.e. no neck dive)
It's the lightest solid bodied bass I've ever owned - apologies for not backing this up with weight (I don't have a set of scales)
Previously, my US P bass was the lightest, but this is a shade lighter again

I wonder whether batch variations have produced big differences in weight? Although other RW P owners also say theirs is very light.

Edited by Marc S

Thanks for the replies all. Mine is very light as well, but that's comparing it with my Stingray, so it's bound to feel light after that :)

I've read a few other people having neck dive with RW P's as well... but perhaps it does vary in batches...

I'll have a look at the Gotoh GB640s as suggested - thanks :)

Again, this may not make that much difference. As I've said, mine didn't have neck dive
I've since added a J pickup (well, luthier Dave Dearnaley did it for me) - mainly because I really like PJ's lately
A pickup & wiring may not add much mass, but if you opt for lighter tuners too, and add a J pickup - might help a bit more?

Really enjoying my RW P - the sound options now it's a P/J are great. The bridge pup is an Entwistle JBXN - about 19 quid posted too! :)

Also Fred, maybe look at what strap you're using - perhaps something with a bit more grip may help?
Again, worth a shot.....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1462363794' post='3042367']
Again, this may not make that much difference. As I've said, mine didn't have neck dive
I've since added a J pickup (well, luthier Dave Dearnaley did it for me) - mainly because I really like PJ's lately
A pickup & wiring may not add much mass, but if you opt for lighter tuners too, and add a J pickup - might help a bit more?

Really enjoying my RW P - the sound options now it's a P/J are great. The bridge pup is an Entwistle JBXN - about 19 quid posted too! :)

Also Fred, maybe look at what strap you're using - perhaps something with a bit more grip may help?
Again, worth a shot.....
[/quote]

Thanks Marc. I'll try the tuners first and see what difference that makes. It could be the strap I guess, but I don't seem to have any neck dive issues with my Stringray using the exact same strap! I'll report back one the tuners arrive and are fitted etc.

Edited by Fred Leicester

[quote name='Fred Leicester' timestamp='1462368367' post='3042432']
Thanks Marc. I'll try the tuners first and see what difference that makes. It could be the strap I guess, but I don't seem to have any neck dive issues with my Stringray using the exact same strap! I'll report back one the tuners arrive and are fitted etc.
[/quote]

A strap will react differently with different basses. Your Stingray might have better weight distribution - there's a good chance it wouldn't dive with any strap. I really would try using a different strap with your Precision before going to all the hassle - and expense - of changing the tuners.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1462369068' post='3042438']

A strap will react differently with different basses. Your Stingray might have better weight distribution - there's a good chance it wouldn't dive with any strap. I really would try using a different strap with your Precision before going to all the hassle - and expense - of changing the tuners.
[/quote]

Thanks - I'll give it a go with another strap and see if it helps a bit. Cheers all!

Bit of an update on this. Tried a "grippier" strap and couldn't get on with it, oddly! I like to be able to move the bass around a bit whilst I play so it just wasn't working for me. Also, whilst it helped a bit with the neck dive, I could still feel it diving...

So, got a set of Gotoh GBR640 Res-o-lites and fitted them tonight. Was a like for like swap so was dead easy, a 25 min job all in. Aaaaand it's so much better! I'm genuinely surprised what a difference it's made to be honest, and it's way nicer getting around on the bass without having to support it.

So all in, although it's cost me a fair chunk, it's improved the bass massively for me. She's a keeper anyway, so I'll get my money's worth in the long run!

[quote name='Fred Leicester' timestamp='1462473505' post='3043386']
Bit of an update on this. Tried a "grippier" strap and couldn't get on with it, oddly! I like to be able to move the bass around a bit whilst I play so it just wasn't working for me. Also, whilst it helped a bit with the neck dive, I could still feel it diving...

So, got a set of Gotoh GBR640 Res-o-lites and fitted them tonight. Was a like for like swap so was dead easy, a 25 min job all in. Aaaaand it's so much better! I'm genuinely surprised what a difference it's made to be honest, and it's way nicer getting around on the bass without having to support it.

So all in, although it's cost me a fair chunk, it's improved the bass massively for me. She's a keeper anyway, so I'll get my money's worth in the long run!
[/quote]

Well done that man.

[quote name='Fred Leicester' timestamp='1462473505' post='3043386']
it's cost me a fair chunk
[/quote]

I've bought three sets over the years and have never felt cheated. The cost is offset by the quality engineering, ability to adjust tension, the great feel, the lack of re-drilling and the fact that they are super light and work.

Enjoy!