Why become a member? ×

Incoming: Sterling SB14 bass - EBMM Sterling import... views?

goonieman

I really miss my EBMM Sterling, so i've just bought a Sterling SB14 in black - being delivered from a music store in Ireland!

Looking forward to that ol' familiar musicman click and zing... i'm just hoping it can at least provide some semblance to the full-bloodied sterling I had last year.

Anyone have experience? They seem to be held in good repute in general, but apart from 1 or 2 half-decent reviews on youtube, they seem quite rare.

I had one for a while. Fitted the band perfectly. A tad heavy for me but balanced very well as the bridge is so far back(? - or the horn is forward - one or t'other!). Lovely to play, beautifully made. Not sure why I sold it, to be honest.

Ed Friedland liked it, if you haven't seen this:

[media]http://youtu.be/67Fo7AKwfA0[/media]

Edited by Paul S

I really really really wanted an SB14 after seeing that very Ed Friedland review. The smaller body appealed to me, but I couldn't get a hold of one and ended up buying a SUB Ray4 instead, which has turned out to be a bargain. Still fancy picking up a SB14 at some point though, cracking basses, dunno why they didn't sell more.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1462215027' post='3041201']
cracking basses, dunno why they didn't sell more.
[/quote]

Yes - kinda strange, but basically the Sterling has always been in the 'shadow' of the big bro Stingray. The sterling has quite a unique feature set, and I guess there are few (if any?) famous players of EBMM sterlings, which has an impact on advertising.

I guess the colours didn't help either: metallic blue, candy apple red, and black. Not the best selection.

Also, at retail price, most sensible people just say to themselves, 'I'd rather buy a second hand EBMM Sterling or Stingray, than pay 650 GBP for a new SB14'. I know I would.

Marcus Miller can be seen playing a fretless Sterling on occasion. Marcus is kinda famous...

I would opt for a used Sterling instead of a new SB-14 if I was on a budget. Resale value for an EBMM bass is likely to be higher and there's no substitute for the real thing, eh? What I really dislike is the long stem tuners on the Sterling by MusicMan basses. Looks weird IMO. Just this week I read (on TalkBass?) that the SB-14 has been discontinued due to lack of sales. Still, for the money it looks and sounds great.

Would love to compare an SB-14 bass to my EBMM Sterling.

Edited by Treb

MIchael Anthony has used one form time to time but for some reason everyone wants a Stingray.

I love the smaller body, the thinner neck and the overall light weight of them. Plus the sound is incredible. I could never get a Stingray to sound like the Stingray you hear on records or live but I can get the Sterling pretty close

I prefer the smaller body and thinner neck, but I've heard numerous Stingray vs Sterling comparisons on YouTube and whatnot and the Rays always sounded best to me, especially the 2-band / Classics.

Edited by dannybuoy

An SB14 has been my main gigging bass for several years now. It's nice and light and compact with a slim neck.
I've tried other things but I keep coming back to it. For the past year I've been using TI flats and it's just perfect.
I don't know why they discontinued them. Proper rays and SUB's etc seem very heavy and clunky in comparison.

Flats on a Sterling!? I bet that'll be interesting. I've just bought some d'addario balanced tension 45 rounds for it, but I bet you get some chunky tones from flats.

They've been discontinued because they're either not marketable (people above keep saying 'on accasion' or 'from time to time' x or y plays a sterling) - or just too quirky.

Of course, the whole branding thing didn't help. I needed to be taught the different 'sterling' varieties and SUB-groupings before I was happy I knew the market. Such a basic advertising error.