Why become a member? ×

Advice about buying a second hand bass

StevieJJ

The good thing with a Fender style bass is that if anything is wrong with it loads of companies make replacement parts.
If it has issues you will have your 'not as described' get out of jail card but you will get stung for return postage.
I wouldn't worry unduly but you have to weigh up the savings against peice of mind with anything second hand.
Buying from a member on here or a shop may be preferable if you're concerned.

Sometimes the neck isn't warped it just needs a few tweaks on the truss rod. Used to be scared of doing this but it really impacts the performance of a bass and can often be the difference between a nice bass and a great bass. That said, you have no way of knowing until it turns up in the post.

I have never ever bought a brand new bass in thirty years. Just ask questions through ebay and then the answers are on record if there are any problems. It's always preferable to see it in person but not always possible. I once bought a bass of ebay without asking the obvious (pics looked fine) but when it arrived the neck was like a banana. I was a bit p****d off initially as I should have asked the question 'is the neck straight' but all it needed was a truss rod adjustment and then it was a great bass. The other thing to look out for if you are not a smoker is if it has been owned by one, The equipment will smell of stale fags and is a nightmare to get rid of.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1460959829' post='3030053']
Buy through the Basschat market place from a seller with a good feedback history and you'll not go wrong.
[/quote]

Exactly! And even if you don't quite bond with the bass you can usually sell it again for what you paid. It's almost like a library! :D

So far I've bought 4 fantastic basses from Ebay. 2 were in London, one was in Northampton and the other was in Bexhill. Every time I drove over to pick them up and had a play before I handed over the cash. If you discover they're trying to pass off a lemon it's not too late to back out at that point. If the seller wants to screw around you can threaten his feedback as well, or you can both put it down to experience and walk away.

You just need patience to wait for the bass you want to come up within travelling distance.