Why become a member? ×

Flexibility and the working bassist

Happy Jack

Two current 'bassist wanted' adverts on Gumtree:

[size=5][b]#1[/b][/size] - https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-player-wanted/london-band-looking-for-a-bassist/1163165775

Yes, that's "[color=#b22222][i][b]an original alternative/pop/folk/punk band[/b][/i][/color][color=#3C3241]".[/color]

Nice combination. Sequentially, do you think, or all at the same time?

[size=5][b]#2[/b][/size] - https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-musicians-wanted/bassist-wanted-for-covers-band/1163139062

Just gets better, doesn't it? You need to be up to performance speed in "[color=#b22222][i][b]alternative / indie rock , grunge, post punk, maybe some folk, funk, jazz etc.[/b][/i][/color][color=#3C3241]".[/color]

[color=#3C3241]I find myself wondering what's left to fall into the category of "[/color][color=#b22222][i][b]etc.[/b][/i][/color][color=#3C3241]".[/color]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1459865637' post='3020363']
Just gets better, doesn't it? You need to be up to performance speed in "[color=#b22222][i][b]alternative / indie rock , grunge, post punk, maybe some folk, funk, jazz etc.[/b][/i][/color][color=#3C3241]".[/color]
[/quote]

Never mind the players....what about the potential audience...? They'd have to be up to speed on a lot of genres.

"Thank you very much....this next song is by "Fairport Convention"..and that will be followed by some Charles Mingus..!!! :lol:

I can imagine "an alternative/pop/folk/punk band" quite easily, in fact the folksy band I play with could fit that bill. The second one....well, it's a broad net, but adverts can be tough to write - I think they've summarised their own influences instead of written a person specification :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1459867950' post='3020395']
I can imagine "an alternative/pop/folk/punk band" quite easily ...
[/quote]

I'm thinking James playing [i]Hot Love[/i] on a fiddle while shouting "Oi!!!" occasionally.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1459867950' post='3020395']
I can imagine "an alternative/pop/folk/punk band" quite easily, in fact the folksy band I play with could fit that bill. The second one....well, it's a broad net, but adverts can be tough to write - [b]I think they've summarised their own influences instead of written a person specification[/b] :)
[/quote]
This is what I find happens with a lot of bands advertising. They all chuck their influences together and list out something hoping to draw from as many as possible rather than just being too the point.

Living in NI, ive heard my share of punk/metal/folk(or trad as its called here) bands.

Seams most musicians growing up here learn music by playing at trad sessions, and then venture into more rock based genres. I see the logic behind merging them, working with a CDG structure and having the guitarist noodle on more folk'ey scales instead of blues. Bonus points for a mandola/fiddle.
As for the pop/alternative part, most bands here seem to have at least 2 covers of a newer kings of leon song. Seams odd that they dont go for the earlier stuff, as that has a more folk/rock mix to begin with.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459869038' post='3020409']
This is what I find happens with a lot of bands advertising. They all chuck their influences together and list out something hoping to draw from as many as possible rather than just being too the point.
[/quote]

It's good - you're a good way to creating more interesting music starting with a wider span of influences

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1459869311' post='3020414']
It's good - you're a good way to creating more interesting music starting with a wider span of influences
[/quote]
It sometimes is, I've had it before where I've turned up and have played through things yet struggle to hear the influences, or even feel them as far as rhythm goes. Some bands are then shocked when I ask where the influences are that they listed as what we just played fit firmly in one genre!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459873044' post='3020473']
It sometimes is, I've had it before where I've turned up and have played through things yet struggle to hear the influences, or even feel them as far as rhythm goes. Some bands are then shocked when I ask where the influences are that they listed as what we just played fit firmly in one genre!
[/quote]

Yep, been there too...it can be a leap of faith, can't it ?

I can understand it. Occasionally people will ask what kind of music we play in our originals group. We never know what to say. Alternative/prog/folk/electro? It's none of those things. 'pretentious music for 30-somethings who like expensive coffee and vegetable boxes, played by people who don't practice enough' is probably most accurate, but I'm not sure that's a recognised genre yet.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1459875714' post='3020508']
'pretentious music for 30-somethings who like expensive coffee and vegetable boxes, played by people who don't practice enough'
[/quote]

It's trending on Twitter as I write ...

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1459875714' post='3020508']
'pretentious music for 30-somethings who like expensive coffee and vegetable boxes, played by people who don't practice enough'
[/quote]

That's me... :mellow:

When's the audition?

Edited by CamdenRob