Why become a member? ×

NBD: Maruszczyk Jake "Disaster Area"

keefbaker

I dunno, you wait ages for a New Bass Day and then two come at once.
[attachment=215760:2016-03-29 19.00.33.jpg]
Anyway, my Maruszczyk Jake with 3 (count'em) pickups is here at last.
[attachment=215759:2016-03-29 19.00.22.jpg]
It's had to travel across the sea so I shouldn't be surprised it needed a little tweaking, but I've raised the saddles for now and I think the truss rod will need a little tweak, but apparently that's fairly par for the course. Other than that the E is slipping out of tune but I blame that more on the strings than the tuners as they seem nice and stable.

Anyway, after my initial grump that it wasn't perfect out of the bag I then started playing and listening to it and... I love it... It's fantastic. Plays and sounds great.

Here's some of the pickup settings, in a rock manner again, to show more than the usual jazz you get to hear. Fingers and pick, no slapping. Sorry my playing is sh*te, especially my muting. Not used to 5ers yet.

https://soundcloud.com/keith-baker-199951586/maruszczyk-jake-disaster-area-various-pickup-sounds

And here it is next to it's NBD friend.

[attachment=215761:2016-03-29 19.00.49.jpg]

WOOP!!

DISASTER AREA IS BORN!!
[attachment=215762:2016-03-29 19.00.38.jpg]

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459322840' post='3015362']
As tempting as that is, I find the coated DR strings always feel quite sticky to me.
[/quote]

I had a red set for bass a while back that we're OK, not too sticky and sounded fairly bright for a reasonable amount of time... I did try a neon yellow set on guitar once though and they were truly awful.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459286793' post='3015224']
There's a general active passive switch and the humbucker has a coil tap. Also I was really impressed by the noll preamp. Really tasty bass and treble boost.
[/quote]
Do find that every time you flick the little black switch that is labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to tell you you've done it?

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1459341299' post='3015593']
Do find that every time you flick the little black switch that is labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to tell you you've done it?
[/quote]

It's a push pull pot. There's also a puch pull pot for "crash into the sun", I have to be careful which one I grab.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1459283426' post='3015181']
Wow, man! It's like the light just falls right into it!

Cool bass. Will henceforth think of you as "Hotblack".
[/quote]

Ah, Mr Beeblebrox ;)

Nice looking bass!