Why become a member? ×

String Squeak/Finger Squeak

Funky Dunky

Eeeeeek...zzzzing.....squeeeeek!

Really bloomin' annoying. A web search took me to Talkbass (not a member....it'd be like cheating on the wife!) and the solutions ranged from EQ (which can help reduce it, but doesn't eliminate it, and doesn't help when playing acoustically) technique (which wasn't explained) and face grease (eww! And yes, I tried it, but it didn't help).

So, realistically, it's gotta be something to do with my technique, right? But what? I've tried varying the pressure in my LH fingers - no dice. I've tried sliding with different parts of my fingertips - not much difference there either. From trial and error, it seems to relate to my lifting off when executing position shifts - if I don't lift off entirely, I get a bit of squeak when shifting. But this means wasted motion, of sorts, because naturally you want to keep your fingers as close to the fretboard as possible to ensure smoothness, speed, fluidity moving about the neck, etc.

So.....do you, or did you, ever suffer from this heinous affliction? If so, how did you eliminate it from your playing? I've heard it occasionally in the playing of some pros, but it's very occssional and never as bad as mine. I'm using Nickel wound strings, btw, and I understand halfs or flats may help further, but I think it's my technique and I want to address that first rather than compromise my tone.

Edited by Funky Dunky

Use flat wound strings. Zero screech, fabiulous geel and a true bass tone.
Yes yes yes rounds are great too i know i know.....
Addressing your tec is great of course, but glats wont "comprimise" your tone in any way at all. They may change it (to less zingy) but i certainly wouldnt regard the change as a comprimise.

Daddario chromes are a good starter for flats, tension is good, feel great... And slap tone just ooozes old school vibe.

Try them , 25 quid ish.... Play them. Dont make any immediate decisions, live with them a while..... Some folk aren't so keen but there are plenty who will never go back :)

Edited by Wonky2

It depends where you are playing, practising alone it will appear all the time unless you spend a lot of time figuring out when it occurs and then adjusting your technique to stop it. It takes a long time to get to that point and pretty unlikely you will eliminate it completely.
You mentioned wasted motion, well if it's serving a purpose - eliminating string noise, then it isn't wasted. That's part of the technique, lifting enough to not drag on the strings but not so much that your fingers are flailing around.

In a band situation it mostly disappears naturally unless the bass is solo'd.
As stated above moving to flat wounds will definately make a huge difference.

Edited by Dazed

Graphite necks highlight the problem imho , and active basses maybe . I used to have this problem . I used to change strings far too,often years ago, believing you should change strings after every gig . Now I leave them on for ages , and the problem has gone .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1459168427' post='3014024']
If you want to eliminate string noise and you want to keep roundwounds, yes you'll have to lift your fingers. Elixir give a lot less noise and last a lot longer, give them a try
[/quote]

Another vote for Elixirs, they work great on fretless too. Its also worth mentioning that the dynamic range of the human ear drops dramatically in the presence of loud sounds so handling noise which may sound intrusive when playing solo will probably be inaudible in a mix.