Why become a member? ×

Yes

stewblack

I've just received an unexpected package through the post. A very old friend with whom I started my musical 'career', the drummer who first told me to 'Listen to the bass drum and try to play the odd note in time with it' (how valuable was that lesson to a young bassist just learning his trade?) sent me a cd.
It contained some tracks by Yes and a note explaining that he always felt my bass playing, in terms of melodic decisions, to be similar to that of Chris Squire. However as I'd never listened to anything by Yes it could only be coincidence. Anyhoo for whatever reason he sent me some tracks to listen to. What do you guys reckon - a good thing to be compared to Mr Squire?

edited to get his name right! Thanks OG - doh!

Edited by stewblack

[quote name='OldGit' post='290934' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:33 PM']Chris Squire, hopefully :)

Yup
That's a good thing in my book ....
melodic, upfront, inventive, cutting through ...[/quote]
Cheers OG - look forward to having a little listen when I get home.

Whatever your thoughts about Prog Rock and Yes lyrics (!), Squire was (and remains) an original voice on his instrument. He influenced a generation of bass players including Geddy Lee of Rush and has produced some pretty incredible stuff in the Yes discography. And all with a pick! Being compared to him should very much be considered a compliment.

Just a small point on Jon Anderson's lyrics.

As a Yes fan through the 80s, (I came to it around the time of the 'Tormato' LP), I am familiar with everything they did up to '90125' and could probably recite acres of Anderson lyrics without any effort. There has always been this thing about how s*** his lyrics were and how they didn't make sense. The thing is, they weren't supposed to. Anderson long ago made it know that his concept was to string together words that sounded pretty/poetic etc i.e. the sound of the word was as important as, if not more important than, its meaning. The meaning of his lyrics is, therefore, impressionistic rather than a narrative.

If you bear that in mind, it all makes a bit more sense (or not, depending on what you mean). As I understand it, Jon Anderson's lyrical concept is not a million miles away from James Joyce's 'Ulysses'.

Yes played some really great music and although some of it got a bit bloated sometimes, much of it was highly original and innovative. 'Going For The One' was always a favourite for me.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='290978' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:20 PM']Just a small point on Jon Anderson's lyrics.

As a Yes fan through the 80s, (I came to it around the time of the 'Tormato' LP), I am familiar with everything they did up to '90125' and could probably recite acres of Anderson lyrics without any effort. There has always been this thing about how s*** his lyrics were and how they didn't make sense. The thing is, they weren't supposed to. Anderson long ago made it know that his concept was to string together words that sounded pretty/poetic etc i.e. the sound of the word was as important as, if not more important than, its meaning. The meaning of his lyrics is, therefore, impressionistic rather than a narrative.

If you bear that in mind, it all makes a bit more sense (or not, depending on what you mean). As I understand it, Jon Anderson's lyrical concept is not a million miles away from James Joyce's 'Ulysses'.

Yes played some really great music and although some of it got a bit bloated sometimes, much of it was highly original and innovative. 'Going For The One' was always a favourite for me.[/quote]

My full on YES period was between the first album (the one with YES on it as apposed to "The YES Album" - oh [b]that[/b] caused some problems when sent shopping ...) and Tales ...
Laugh with me now children as we view one of the side effects ...

The lyrics were always daft and /or pretentious and delivered with such full on "sincerity" that despite Jon's attempts to justify them as "sound pictures" etc we all still sniggered behind our hands ..
His voice didn't help, a problem he shares with Geddy IMHO ..
However I still put the CDs on and sing along :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='291001' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:38 PM']I was in Steve Howe's house a couple of years ago but there was no sign of Chris Squire..... :) never mind missed another hero[/quote]

Steve Howe plays in my band.
Not [b]THAT[/b] Steve Howe, but [b]A[/b] Steve Howe...

[quote name='OldGit' post='290992' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:29 PM']My full on YES period was between the first album (the one with YES on it as apposed to "The YES Album" - oh [b]that[/b] caused some problems when sent shopping ...) and Tales ...
Laugh with me now children as we view one of the side effects ...

The lyrics were always daft and /or pretentious and delivered with such full on "sincerity" that despite Jon's attempts to justify them as "sound pictures" etc we all still sniggered behind our hands ..
His voice didn't help, a problem he shares with Geddy IMHO ..
However I still put the CDs on and sing along :)[/quote]

I think I replied to your post in another thread about good bassline/bad songs. We must be old git's of a similar age! I had them all from Yes> Tormato. I only have the Yes album on vinyl left now.
I even had all of the solo albums of Yes members including Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow.
Oh dear!

Well, so far I've been listening to Roundabout from Fragile. Musically I have to say they seem to go to an awful lot of effort - fair play to them but I'm not sure it isn't more than they needed to for me. But the thing is all about the bass and yes I do heartily approve of where the man goes with his basslines. Not sure I play in the same way as I never tried to play on a song as remotely that complicated.

Allo!

To me, Squire is the quintessential `rock' bassist - he is a big influence on scores of bassists, myself included! He is a true showman and his bass work is the glue that has held Yes together - not only that, his harmony vocals and use of bass pedals must be heartily (of the sunrise!) applauded! If someone compared my playing to his, I'd be very pleased!

As Chris is probably my favourite bassist I think in many ways I'd be over the moon to be compared to him, although it'd be nice to be told I had an "original voice" on the instrument. :)

Bilbo's bang on about Jon's "impressionistic" lyrics, which are actually some of my favourites for that very reason. That's [i]art[/i], chaps. :huh: Even my mate (who doesn't really like Yes) agrees.

Yes are one of my top 2 or 3 bands of all time, and personally I [i]like[/i] that overwhelming sincerity. Bilbo's also spot on about Going For The One, which contains arguably my favourite piece of music of all time, Awaken (well, that and Shine On... by Floyd). One thing though....less of the "and all with a pick stuff". Personally I think people who play with their fingers are just pretending the bass is their todger. :huh:

Don't discount the [i]90125[/i] era, either - I think I've mentioned before how important that album was to me when I was starting the bass.

I have a soft spot for [i]Big Generator[/i], too, despite the impression that the band went genuinely bonkers during the production process. Chris is playing a 5-string Tobias, but still sounds like Chris, just with less Clank. Now, to figure out what the [i]Rhythm of Love[/i] video is about... :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='291010' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:44 PM']Steve Howe plays in my band.
Not [b]THAT[/b] Steve Howe, but [b]A[/b] Steve Howe...[/quote]
I used to play with drummer Phil Collins.
[size=1]Not [i]the[/i] drummer Phil Collins, obviously.[/size]

Awaken is my all time favourite piece of music - I'm having it played through a 15Kw Turbosound pa when I'm cremated!!! Saw Yes play it live at Wembley as part of the `Union' tour - it brought me to tears - most moving and very spiritual.

Agree with the 90125 aspect - that album was very groundbreaking (some great tunes!) and without it, Yes may not have been able to carry on as it provided a major fiscal boost to the collective coffers!! Big Generator is awesome - `I'm Running' and `Shoot High, Aim Low' being particular faves! The Talk album is another often overlooked albums!

[quote name='stewblack' post='291116' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:25 PM']Well, so far I've been listening to Roundabout from Fragile. Musically I have to say they seem to go to an awful lot of effort - fair play to them but I'm not sure it isn't more than they needed to for me. But the thing is all about the bass and yes I do heartily approve of where the man goes with his basslines. Not sure I play in the same way as I never tried to play on a song as remotely that complicated.[/quote]

I loved that about Yes , bit of an antidote to the Ramones and Pistols that I was also listening to at the time.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='291163' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:08 PM']Awaken is my all time favourite piece of music - I'm having it played through a 15Kw Turbosound pa when I'm cremated!!! Saw Yes play it live at Wembley as part of the `Union' tour - it brought me to tears - most moving and very spiritual.

Agree with the 90125 aspect - that album was very groundbreaking (some great tunes!) and without it, Yes may not have been able to carry on as it provided a major fiscal boost to the collective coffers!! Big Generator is awesome - `I'm Running' and `Shoot High, Aim Low' being particular faves! The Talk album is another often overlooked albums![/quote]

Hey, I'm having that played at my do when I go too....hope I can manage to book a decent PA because I'm not having it go through the system at our crematorium!

It has that effect on me too, every time. Genius.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='291219' date='Sep 24 2008, 08:06 PM']Hey, I'm having that played at my do when I go too....hope I can manage to book a decent PA because I'm not having it go through the system at our crematorium!

It has that effect on me too, every time. Genius.[/quote]

It makes me well up everytime I hear the end section, after `farewell, farewell' where it builds and builds! I think the system at our crem is one of those old `falcon' cassette players with some wuff series speakers which of course, would be floored by Awaken! I know its a morbid subject to a lot of people but I actually `died' aged 16 - I have a serious nut allergy and during a very severe allergic reaction, I recall floating off somewhere - it felt amazing on the way there - but I came back very suddenly when the doctor pumped me with the syringe - what a bastard, I was enjoying the ride off the planet! Don't want to go just yet (more basses to buy!!) but its not the end, as far as I can tell!

I disagree with some of the stuff on here in that Yes aren't to me overly complicated, you just need to give the music time to make complete sense of it.

I've finally started enjoying Capt. Beefheart (Trout Mask Replica) but it took a lot of listening to get there - well worth it though.

As for:

[quote]The lyrics were always daft and /or pretentious and delivered with such full on "sincerity" that despite Jon's attempts to justify them as "sound pictures" etc we all still sniggered behind our hands ..
His voice didn't help, a problem he shares with Geddy IMHO ..[/quote]

:)

The lyrics are superb. They really make the best use of Anderson's incredible voice. Making 'sense' outta them is kinda fun too.

I still have the 1st 4 albums and reckon they lost it a bit (not all) after CTTE.

[quote name='lonestar' post='291095' date='Sep 24 2008, 05:58 PM']I think I replied to your post in another thread about good bassline/bad songs. We must be old git's of a similar age! I had them all from Yes> Tormato. I only have the Yes album on vinyl left now.
I even had all of the solo albums of Yes members including Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow.
Oh dear![/quote]

ha ha Yeah well tahts what teenagers did back then :)

Lonestar? Not a mate of Kenny Driscoll are you?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='291325' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:34 PM']The lyrics are superb. They really make the best use of Anderson's incredible voice. Making 'sense' outta them is kinda fun too.

I still have the 1st 4 albums and reckon they lost it a bit (not all) after CTTE.[/quote]

I didn't say I didn't enjoy them :) I just had a laff too :huh:

And as Bilbo says, They aren't really lyrics ..
One of my faves from that period is their version of Paul Simon's America ..
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS2FUW7UkR0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS2FUW7UkR0...feature=related[/url]
Live with great outfits :huh: Love those bass runs that kind of hang at the top ..