Why become a member? ×

Great Bass Line - dreadful song

Bilbo

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='290984' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:23 PM']Moi?
:)[/quote]

I think Bilbo may be playing bass on this one - it's certainly his kind of music.

[url="http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=NmijSk0zT-A&feature=related"]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=NmijSk0zT-A&...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Rich' post='291118' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:30 PM']It was John Giblin... another brilliant, tasteful player.[/quote]

Oh dear Did I believe Wikipedia again?
Oh well It's a remarkably good Pino impression :)

Edit: Then reads rest of thread ..

Edited by OldGit

Back to the topic in hand:

A lot of the more muso players I have heard fall into the 'who framed roger rabbit?' category.

Lets go back to 1988 - There was a lot of fuss made over this new film with Bob Hoskins and an animated rabbit. It was meant to be the best thing sinced sliced bread. everywhere you went you couldn't get away from it.

Enter 12 year old me buying all the hype. I went to see the film and have to say that it was the worst tripe I had ever seen in my life (and was until I saw or rather slept through LOTR). Since then I gererally stay away from anything overhyped so that i can go and watch it and judge it for myself so that I'm not as let down if it turns out to stink worse than a smelly cheese sandwich made with pumpernickel bread containing real pumps.

Anyway, I digress. Or do I?

I used to frequent Talkbs a lot and they always went on about Jaco, the bass of doom, all these great things he was meant to have done. I asked what a good album to listen to first would be. Can't remember what it was (something by Weather Report) but I bought it and absolutely hated the 'music'

I'm pretty open when it comes to music and try and look for new stuff but this was just hellish. I have since tried to listen to it again but just can't. It got filed under B for bin.

The point I'm trying to make, if I have a point, is that I am so tired and losing my concentration.

I really don't like 'bass players' as the main attraction in a band. It should be about the music rather than them doing the proverbial ham shank.

I can listen to some Stanley Clarke as he has some good songs but I have trouble listening to the other ones. You know,the short guy that plays the Aria 6 string fretless, Marcus Miller and that bloke with the piccolo Fodera bass with the Yin yang thing on it. I do know their names but, you know, tired and stuff.

I like Thin Lizzy - Phil was the main attraction but as a singer. Same goes for Guys like Sting and the guy from Del Amitri.

I like bands with good bass players such as: Yes, Chilis, Zeppelin, the Who, Deep Purple (esp glenn Hughes), etc but if the song stinks then it stinks. it doesn't matter how well the bass is played.

As always this is IMHO and AFAIK and I'm going to bed.

[quote name='lowdown' post='291083' date='Sep 24 2008, 05:47 PM']Must be the first time i have heard the likes of Stevie wonder and Marvin Gaye cited as Mass-Produced crap....[/quote]
It's a funny thing, but whenever I see Stevie Wonder lauded to the heavens, the jukebox in my head [1] starts playing "I just called to say I love you". And whenever I read about Stevie's genius and the wonder of Paul McCartney within ten minutes of each other, the jukebox in my head changes to "Ebony and Ivory".

[1] We have all got one of them, haven't we? Or is it just me?

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='291443' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:11 AM']Maybe basschat should be rebadged as "Rockbass-chat"
Soooooooooo---most of the stuff that Motown did was tat,Sade was tat,utter soul dross,oh and whilst we're at it TOP are sh*t too!!!......... :huh:[/quote]

Good call...Just been thinking that myself.... :)
Might be worth breaking it down in to sections.
You know.
Rock Bass
Jazz Bass
etc.....
But then again i would miss the hours of s**t that i read,that seems to keep me amused. :huh:
I am as guilty as all when it comes to that... :huh:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='291158' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:03 PM']Might be wrong, but i thought it was PP.
I know John Giblin did a couple of tracks on the album though. [Great player]

This might help...
3/4 of the way down... :)

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/4-fantastic/Mar-04/622"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/4-fantastic/Mar-04/622[/url]

Garry[/quote]
Oh well, I stand corrected
I'd always thought it was JG... Pino's name doesn't appear on the album credits y'see. Anyway, it does sound remarkably like JG's impeccable fretless work, even if it really isn't.

[quote name='Rich' post='291502' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:35 AM']Oh well, I stand corrected
I'd always thought it was JG... Pino's name doesn't appear on the album credits y'see. Anyway, it does sound remarkably like JG's impeccable fretless work, even if it really isn't.[/quote]

Hang on, you have the album?
Hummmmmmmmmmm

[quote name='Delberthot' post='291442' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:09 AM']Victor Wooten - that's the fellow :)

Amazing what a couple of hours sleep can do for the brain[/quote]

At first I thought you meant Les Claypool - who used a Carl Thompson piccolo bass - in standard tuning. (Well, why wouldn't you?!) But good old Victor Wooten did use Foderas.