Why become a member? ×

Great Bass Line - dreadful song

Bilbo

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='290932' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:31 PM']Looks like I was full-on, totally mis-informed! I could've sworn I read somewhere it was G.P.! As you can tell, I've never got round to studying the song/players, let along 'scribing it :)

Thanks for the correction![/quote]

"overplaying?" :huh:

[quote name='birdy' post='290673' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:06 AM']For me its anything by level 42. Great playing but I have never 'got' the songs.

Steve[/quote]
For me it's a subset of Level 42: anything with heavy Slapping on it. Mark's bloody good at it, but I couldn't fail to notice that my fave L42 songs have little or no audible slapping e.g. [i]Physical Presence[/i], [i]Children Say[/i], [i]The Sleepwalkers[/i], [i]A Kinder Eye[/i].

I've been a huge fan of OMD for years, and much as I love many of their songs, the bass does get short shrift on most. While Andy McCluskey might lack in muso cred, he more than evens the score with enthusiasm and commitment. :)

Edited by bnt

[quote name='chris_b' post='290648' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:31 AM']I agree with Bilbo's view of Motown's output. Great bass playing, but once you get past the hit singles the rest of the songs were very average.[/quote]

Let's face it, even the 'hit singles' were just churned out by the Motown machine to a preset formula. They are to music what MacDonalds is to food, ie v. popular mass-produced crap.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='291079' date='Sep 24 2008, 05:44 PM']Let's face it, even the 'hit singles' were just churned out by the Motown machine to a preset formula. They are to music what MacDonalds is to food, ie v. popular mass-produced crap.[/quote]

:huh: :unsure:

You cant stop talking about it though... :)
Must have worked... :huh:

Must be the first time i have heard the likes of Stevie wonder and Marvin Gaye
cited as Mass-Produced crap....
Or even Beefburgers come to think of it.
Are you a drummer from birth? :huh:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='OldGit' post='290837' date='Sep 24 2008, 01:37 PM']Well the prize for brilliant bass and utter tripe lyrics just has to go to Yes ..

"Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are,
Shining, flying, purple wolfhound, show me where you are,
Lost in summer, morning, winter, travel very far,
Lost in losing circumstances, that's just where you are."

:)[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, although pointing out the absurdity of Yes lyrics is like shooting fish in a barrel!
As a child of the 60's/early 70's I had all their records, and saw them several times.

Mike

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='bnt' post='291077' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:41 PM']For me it's a subset of Level 42: anything with heavy Slapping on it.[/quote]

Which makes me think of RHCP - until they had their road to Damascus moment, struck by the revelation that you had to write a "song" and not just a "groove". Still, saying that, not entirely sure they’ve every quite grasped it.

[quote name='lonestar' post='291084' date='Sep 24 2008, 05:47 PM']I couldn't agree more, although pointing out the absurdity of Yes lyrics is like shooting fish in a barrel!
As a child of the 60's/early 70's I had all their records, and saw them several times.

Mike[/quote]

And full circle to ...

[i]Here come ol' flat-top he come groovin' up slowly he got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller.[/i]

[quote name='bnt' post='291077' date='Sep 24 2008, 05:41 PM']For me it's a subset of Level 42: anything with heavy Slapping on it. Mark's bloody good at it, but I couldn't fail to notice that my fave L42 songs have little or no audible slapping e.g. [i]Physical Presence[/i], [i]Children Say[/i], [i]The Sleepwalkers[/i], [i]A Kinder Eye[/i].

I've been a huge fan of OMD for years, and much as I love many of their songs, the bass does get short shrift on most. While Andy McCluskey might lack in muso cred, he more than evens the score with enthusiasm and commitment. :)[/quote]

Actually there is Slap on Children Say just depends on which version you have.... it's really understated and low in the mix as most of what you hear is actually bass synth.

Or if you have the re-mixes album there is a section at the beginning that is just the slap bass being played.... and very nice it is too...

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='crez5150' post='290689' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:15 AM']Oh god we're not going back over this again are we....?????? :)[/quote]
It would appear so. Yawn-a-feckin-rama :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='290700' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:26 AM']Lady in Red...
I avoided paying it any attention at all until someone pointed out recently that it's Pino on bass..[/quote]It was John Giblin... another brilliant, tasteful player.

[quote name='Rich' post='291118' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:30 PM']It would appear so. Yawn-a-feckin-rama :huh:

It was John Giblin... another brilliant, tasteful player.[/quote]
Might be wrong, but i thought it was PP.
I know John Giblin did a couple of tracks on the album though. [Great player]

This might help...
3/4 of the way down... :)

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/4-fantastic/Mar-04/622"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/4-fantastic/Mar-04/622[/url]

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='291158' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:03 PM']Might be wrong, but i thought it was PP.
I know John Giblin did a couple of tracks on the album though. [Great player]

This might help...
3/4 of the way down... :)

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/4-fantastic/Mar-04/622"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/4-fantastic/Mar-04/622[/url]

Garry[/quote]

Lady In Red was Pino Palladino - he talks about the track in an interview in Bass Player in March 1992 (Vol 3, No 2).

Of course, he could've been mistaken, and it might really have been Carol Kaye. (Looks over his shoulder and thinks to myself he's been here before.)

[quote name='noelk27' post='291166' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:12 PM']Lady In Red was Pino Palladino - he talks about the track in an interview in Bass Player in March 1992 (Vol 3, No 2).

Of course, he could've been mistaken, and it might really have been Carol Kaye. (Looks over his shoulder and thinks to myself he's been here before.)[/quote]

Yep...and there is a quote in my link above...same mag.

Garry