Why become a member? ×

plectrum playing

FinnDave

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458380523' post='3007063']
Turn your amp up. ;)
[/quote]I had a feeling someone would say that, but that would mess up the sound balance of the whole band, just because you can't hear yourself clearly doesn't mean you're too quiet in the mix :happy:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458400305' post='3007321']
I had a feeling someone would say that, but that would mess up the sound balance of the whole band, just because you can't hear yourself clearly doesn't mean you're too quiet in the mix :happy:
[/quote]

OK, best use a thicker pick, then. :lol:

I use 1mm Dunlops. Can't get on with thinner ones or thicker ones.

I have tried felt and leather picks to try and emulate finger style but not found them comfortable or effective. In the end it was easier to practice finger style - I'm getting better at it :)

The only 'odd' pick I use now is a rubber one when trying to play on my rubber stringed U bass. In many ways I prefer that over using my fingers on those strings.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1458380731' post='3007069']
I use Dunlop Tortex 0.6's for electric. People used to ask why, when they all used heavy picks & heavy strings, well, if light strings are good enough for Iommi, May & Gibbons, they're good enough for me. Plus they just feel far better.
[/quote]
I hadn't associated the change with a change in string thickness. But in my case the pick thickness has gone drastically down, but the string gauge has gone up. In fact, on my main bass I only have the bottom four strings from a very heavy five string set. And I have it tuned up to C#, so they're a lot stiffer, too.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1458390586' post='3007178']
have you tried a felt or leather pick?
[/quote]
There was a good thread on felt picks on BassChat a while ago. It got me experimenting with making my own. I basically used strong double sided sticky tape (I didn't want to use a glue that would leech into the felt and go hard) to stick the felt to a thin Dunlop pick. It worked really well, but with round wound strings the felt wore through too quickly.

Guitar I used a Hybrid Slinky set (9-46) for a D tuning, sounded good to me. Bass, I used to use RotoSound RS66LC (40-95's?) when I played with a pick, but moved up to 45-105's about 2000 (still playing with a pick), and still like them, but now I don't use a pick.

Never tried felt picks, but SWMBO bought me one of those wood pick selection tins a few Christmas' back. They look good, feel nice, but are too hard for me. They don't sound that good IMO with either bass or acoustic guitar.