Why become a member? ×

Fender Classic 60's Jazz Bass

Pestie

Hello Everyone

Has anybody had one of these MIM Jazz's? I have been looking at one elsewhere but don't know what they are like. Any views or suggestions will be gratefully received.

It's part of my ongoing search for a Jazz that I can get on with.

Cheers

Mike (Pestie)

[quote name='Pestie' timestamp='1457530705' post='2999400']
Hello Everyone

Has anybody had one of these MIM Jazz's? I have been looking at one elsewhere but don't know what they are like. Any views or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Mike (Pestie)
[/quote]

Mike, as ever, these are very individual things. My Road Worn that you got was great, but, to my shame, I struggle to see where I am at the dusty end of a rosewood board nowadays. I blame stage lighting :blush: :lol:

Seriously, set yourself some time to go to some of the big shops and try loads out. REMEMBER they are likely to be AT BEST not set up to your optimal liking in a shop.
Any that come up on here or Bumtree/FEEBay, that are close enough to try, go try them (always leave your family a note of the address you are going to, likely time back etc).
When you find the one, get it.

Or be a complete %^$£^%$"" like me and just hoss trade 83% of basses known to man :lol:

Good luck and enjoy the hunt,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

I have one of the 70's ones of these, the more premium Mexican range lets call them " fender's classic vibes " here was my NBD post
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278613-new-bass-day-70s-jazz/page__fromsearch__1

The bodies a two piece joined very cleanly and with consideration to the grain its string through bridge, the binding is flawless , and feel is head and shoulders above a standard MiM in quality the neck is isnt a wide paddle like a P but neither is it as thin as a rake like my Bitsa which has a standard neck on it. Mine has that 70's growl which I think is more to do with Pickup positioning than anything else

All in all It feel's like it should and there's nice grain showing through the finish. It find it an oddly calm bass its not over light but very comfortable
I might have struggled to justify the new price at a store over a second hand American but second hand for far less than a new MiM and I'm in love with it .

I'm sure the 60's has the same level of fit n finish so you wont be upset with a purchase.

[quote name='Pestie' timestamp='1457530705' post='2999400']
Hello Everyone

Cheers

Mike (Pestie)
[/quote]

Pestie,

What didn't you like about the Road Worn?

The Classic 50's/ 60's series are a premium Mexican range, but will differ slightly from the RW in that they will have a Poly finish and be unrelic'ed.

Anecdotally, I've heard the RW series use different woods, which would back up my experience of lighter, more resonant woods. I'm pretty sure the RW might have had deeper contours too, however I've only compared the P basses, and this was a few years back.

What I'm trying to get at, is whether you'll find what you are looking for in a Classic 60's that you didn't find in the RW.

They`re meant to be very nice bases, from what I`ve read. However I think Cameltoe has hit the nail on he had - what`s the area you`re trying to cover that the Road Worn didn`t hit? For me on Jazzes, it was always the thin necks, however I`ve recently bought 2012 US Standard which has a much chunkier neck and as a Precision player suits me much better. Likewise on basses in general, like Karlfer I`ve migrated to maple necks in order to be able to see them on brightly (or dimly) lit stages.

Morning Guys

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It seems like it's a bit of a marathon that I've been on for years really. I'm also a bit fickle when it comes down to it. The Roadworn I had off Karl was great except I worked out that I don't really like roadworn finishes. I like em shiny. The necks on Jazz's suit me really well but I don't always like how they sound. I did put together a P body onto a Mighty Mite Jazz neck but I think I should have got a better quality body. I now have a tonerider hot pickup to put in it to see if that improves things. I also am moving towards maple boards but I don't like shiny necks and much prefer a satin finish. So all in all I suppose the search must go on until I either find it or make it.

Thank you all again, have a great weekend.

Mike :rolleyes:

Hi Mike, hope all is well up there in Chippy N. I've had a couple of Classic 60s Jazzes. One was a few years ago, sunburst, poly finish, which I stupidly sold when I left Finland, and a later nitro finish one, also sunburst, which I bought new when they first came out (about 3 years ago) and still have. For a year or more it was my main gigging bass, but in the last 12 months I have been using Precisions more.

I would say that they are bloody good basses, even the nitro at full price (around 800 quid I think, but it comes with a hard case) is hard to beat. I sold a US standard jazz not long after buying the Classic 60 nitro as it was I had stopped playing the US, the mex was much better.

Pestie, i have a JB made by a company named Fame in Poland. It has a satin maple neck with pearl blocks, Satin nitro finish, SD pups, 22 frets and really good hardware.

I believe they are made by Mayones and can be picked up for about 500 quid. A lot of bass for the ££.

I got mine from DV247.

Anyway food for thought.

[quote name='Pestie' timestamp='1457710386' post='3001221']
Thanks Dave

All good over here in CN. I hope all is well with you!

Cheers

Mike
[/quote]

Cheers, Mike,things are on the up after getting knocked off my bike 3 months ago. First gig since then tomorrow night :)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1457612423' post='3000084']

Pestie,

What didn't you like about the Road Worn?

The Classic 50's/ 60's series are a premium Mexican range, but will differ slightly from the RW in that they will have a Poly finish and be unrelic'ed.

Anecdotally, I've heard the RW series use different woods, which would back up my experience of lighter, more resonant woods. I'm pretty sure the RW might have had deeper contours too, however I've only compared the P basses, and this was a few years back.

What I'm trying to get at, is whether you'll find what you are looking for in a Classic 60's that you didn't find in the RW.
[/quote]

It's a crapshoot really, I had a Classic 50s and Road Worn Precision in the house at the same time. The RW was indeed lighter, but the Classic 50s was something special. The most resonant P I've ever tried, it just sang, and the RW felt dull and lifeless.