Why become a member? ×

Dad has retired and is taking up bass....

FuNkShUi

So, as above really.
He has always loved his music, but never had the time to take up learning an instrument.
He retired at christmas and has decided now is the time.
Ive given him a small combo, and a lead, and bought him a Harley Benton Precision, to see if he's into it, so the gear side of things is done and dusted.
Now it was a while ago when i first learnt, so with best intentions, im sure there's a few things i should tell him, or show him that i just don't remember.
I said i'd help him out initially, and get him off the ground.
So the question here is, where shall i start with him? What did you first start out doing? Any advice you wish you'd had when you first started? What kind of songs are easy for a beginner? He likes rock/blues primarily.
Any suggestions/advice would be great.
Cheers

Sounds like a great plan... :) Retirement is the perfect time to do this sort of thing

My dad has also recently retired and has taken up playing the guitar / songwriting again after my mum bought him a nice acoustic for an anniversary present.

I bought him a USB interface and he's downloaded some sort of DAW. After much frustration trying to figure it all out he has now started recording his own songs and uploading them to soundcloud...

... hasn't played guitar / sung properly for over 40 years and two months after taking it up again his musical output is better than mine... :mellow:

Play along to a few of his favourite blues songs. Root notes will do at first and help him to understand the basic blues structure (stick to the classic 12 bar blues at first) and help build his fretting and finger/plectrum skills. As he progresses, throw in some passing notes and some simple blues progressions. If it all clicks then expand the playlist, keep practicing and gradually improve.

Or start lessons, be taught a lot of theory, told to practice scales, lose interest and give up.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1457425648' post='2998263']
Play along to a few of his favourite blues songs. Root notes will do at first and help him to understand the basic blues structure (stick to the classic 12 bar blues at first) and help build his fretting and finger/plectrum skills. As he progresses, throw in some passing notes and some simple blues progressions. If it all clicks then expand the playlist, keep practicing and gradually improve.

Or start lessons, be taught a lot of theory, told to practice scales, lose interest and give up.
[/quote]

Yeh i am going to avoid going down the theory route, to start with at least. My plan was to show him the basics of how to play with fingers, and how to use a plectrum. Then show him how to read tab. Then just go from there.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1457425786' post='2998265']
Buy him a copy of [i][b]Crash Course For Bass[/b][/i] by Stuart Clayton.

It's all he'll need.

Seriously.
[/quote]

Thanks Happy Jack. Ill stick the order in today

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457425606' post='2998262']
Sounds like a great plan... :) Retirement is the perfect time to do this sort of thing

My dad has also recently retired and has taken up playing the guitar / songwriting again after my mum bought him a nice acoustic for an anniversary present.

I bought him a USB interface and he's downloaded some sort of DAW. After much frustration trying to figure it all out he has now started recording his own songs and uploading them to soundcloud...

... hasn't played guitar / sung properly for over 40 years and two months after taking it up again his musical output is better than mine... :mellow:
[/quote]

My dad is pretty good with technology actually, so i might get him something like that for his birthday (in Dec) if he is still playing then.

I envy you guys.
My old dads a pretty bright guy....aerospace industry etc and likes music and showed an interest so I did exactly the same thing a few years ago with an acoustic. I showed him a few things, went away for a few months only to return with him unable to hold the thing let alone play it, pity really.

Sounds great Kert :)
Good on you, for buying him the gear & getting him started

Just ask him what his fave songs are, and show him how to jam along
You'd be the best tutor, to get him started. Just think back to how Jon Caulfield taught you
Seek out some blues and rock stuff on youtube, and judge for yourself which would be good bass lessons for him

This is great news. Perhaps when I retire, I should learn to play too? ;)

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1457429569' post='2998330']
I envy you guys.
My old dads a pretty bright guy....aerospace industry etc and likes music and showed an interest so I did exactly the same thing a few years ago with an acoustic. I showed him a few things, went away for a few months only to return with him unable to hold the thing let alone play it, pity really.
[/quote]

It's all relative... I wouldn't expect my dad is much cop at aerospace engineering... :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457429884' post='2998339']

It's all relative... I wouldn't expect my dad is much cop at aerospace engineering... :mellow:
[/quote]

Ha.. he was only a lowly drone, and no pun indended. I guess playing an instrument is a funny thing and it doesn't appear to have a lot a lot to do with what we think we can do, some people can do it others cant I guess.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1457429857' post='2998338']
Sounds great Kert :)
Good on you, for buying him the gear & getting him started

Just ask him what his fave songs are, and show him how to jam along
You'd be the best tutor, to get him started. Just think back to how Jon Caulfield taught you
Seek out some blues and rock stuff on youtube, and judge for yourself which would be good bass lessons for him

This is great news. Perhaps when I retire, I should learn to play too? ;)
[/quote]

Well considering all he's done for me i thought the least i could do was get him started!

I have all of Jons lessons saved in a folder, but i didn't go to him when i was an absolute beginner. So i cant refer back unfortunately. They're there for when he's ready though.

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1457428817' post='2998316']
Introduced my dad to cleaning up recordings type software and plugins etc........Sometimes I wish I hadn't...I love him loads,but the phrase caveman with a calculator does spring to mind.
[/quote]

Haha at least he's having fun.... hopefully? :D

I dont know much about the blues/rock genre to be honest.

I know he likes U2, so i'll point him in that direction.

Any blues classics that might be good for him to start out with?

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1457430504' post='2998356']
Ha.. he was only a lowly drone, and no pun indended. I guess playing an instrument is a funny thing and it doesn't appear to have a lot a lot to do with what we think we can do, some people can do it others cant I guess.
[/quote]

I think it's hard to teach someone rhythm.
It is possible, but the process of learning becomes so much easier if someone has natural rhythm

My father has no interest in any music outwith the romantic classical genre, which is fine. He is an excellent pianist who is aging fast and so his playing is suffering but his ability to sight-read is undiminished and is a constant source of amazement to me. Given the most impenetrable score which looks like black paper with a few white bits on, he can play it perfectly on first reading, albeit a little slowly. I really wish I had had proper music tuition as a child.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1457425150' post='2998260']
So the question here is, where shall i start with him?
[/quote]

Here is the ideal thread from "Talkbass" on getting started.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/how-to-get-started.1098564/

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1457430638' post='2998362']
I think it's hard to teach someone rhythm.
It is possible, but the process of learning becomes so much easier if someone has natural rhythm
[/quote]

Yes, it's more tricky than you might think at first. I'm trying to teach Mrs S rhythm and timing - But it's quite alien to her
She sings backing in a fun band, which is a bunch of mates who regularly play a folk club we attend
Sadly, teaching her rhythm is really difficult, as she just has almost no sense of it

I bought her a drum, so she can tap along when listening to music, but it's a long hard slog - maybe it's partly her teacher, of course ;)
But it begs the question - "Is there such a thing as natural rhythm?"

Is it something we intuitively hear? Or do we teach ourselves to hear it? Does this start at a young age? Can older people learn it, or do you have to start young? I'm sure we each as individuals learn rhythm differently, and at very very different rates
Some people just seem to hear a beat easily, while others not so.....

Incidentally, in my 1st spell of bass playing -t'was before days of T'internet....
I had a book entitled "Learning Rock Bass" which came with an intro to TAB ...... and a flexi-disc :)
"Dad, wot's a flexi-disc?" lol

Edited by Marc S

I do wonder about 'natural rhythm'. Our singer, he's being doing it for 40 odd years mind, seems inherently unable to sing some songs as the 1st word of a lyric comes in on the off beat, he just cannot grasp this and will sing the whole song half a beat out..does my head in as there are some great songs out there we'll never do, Walk by the Foos for instance :(

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1457431218' post='2998373']
Here is the ideal thread from "Talkbass" on getting started.

[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/how-to-get-started.1098564/"]https://www.talkbass...tarted.1098564/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll send him the link.

Marc - I do think it is partly natural, although some is possibly picked up depending on the environment you were brought up in.

I know people who cant clap along to a song on ANY beat let alone the 2 & 4. And they're amazed when i tell them as much. No clue as to what is wrong with what they're doing.

Then my wife, who doesnt play anything, was clapping along "in time" to a 3/2 cuban style bassline i was learning :blink:

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1457431906' post='2998380']
I do wonder about 'natural rhythm'. Our singer, he's being doing it for 40 odd years mind, seems inherently unable to sing some songs as the 1st word of a lyric comes in on the off beat, he just cannot grasp this and will sing the whole song half a beat out..does my head in as there are some great songs out there we'll never do, Walk by the Foos for instance :(
[/quote]

He's just really keen :D

This is pretty intersting. My lovely partner even at a ripe old age is a fantastic dancer..she doesn't do much but her little moves and rythms are exquisite to watch....but can she tap time with her hand to a tune......not a chance!

RE natural rhythm...

A friend of Mrs Cs who is an excellent singer / guitarist / songwriter with her own blusey folky stuff was over the other night and wanted to have a go on my looper... She absolutely could not grasp it at all... just could not hit the pedal at the right point to get the right part looping.

I found it odd as it's not something I've ever struggled with since I first started using one, never given the mechanics of it a second thought. You just just hit the pedal on the beat at the start and then again at the end of the last bar and it repeats the phrase between the pedal presses. She understood it... just couldn't get close to the right timing.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457432442' post='2998391']
I found it odd as it's not something I've ever struggled with since I first started using one, never given the mechanics of it a second thought, you just just hit the pedal on the beat at the start and then again at the end of the last bar and it repeats the phrase between the pedal presses. She understood it... just couldn't get close to the right timing.
[/quote]

Our singer bought one before, and as great a singer as he is, couldnt grasp the concept of when it needed triggering.

So funny too, as he was such a good singer, wasn't used to see him struggling.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1457432584' post='2998393']
Our singer bought one before, and as great a singer as he is, couldnt grasp the concept of when it needed triggering.

So funny too, as he was such a good singer, wasn't used to see him struggling.
[/quote]

Yeah it's odd isn't it... The girl in question is awesomely talented, a great guitarist as well as a singer, but absolutely could not trigger a loop in time.

I'm probably not very far from your dad. I started playing bass from scratch at the age of 55. I know I'm not alone in these pages.

To start off the mechanics took me a long time to get on top of, probably best to start with either a pick or finger style. The other think is that it is difficult to do much practice at first, you can't do much so doing everything you know ten times over only takes a few minutes. Whether you are going down a formal theory route or just learning by ear and tab spend at least some time doing something rewarding. Choose a simple song your dad can play all the way through, preferably one he likes. I started with Gloria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aHmMfZTEw followed by U2's With or Without You and Gimme Some Lovin'

Secondly the best thing for any bass player is playing with other people. I can't imagine anything better than playing with my son, but playing with anyone else is just a blast if you never expected to be doing it. If you play in bands you have all the contacts to make that happen.

I found that playing along with CD's and tab worked well. I found the Hal Leonard series good, that's where Gloria and Gimme Some Lovin came from.

Wish him luck from me and tell him to stick with it, it took me six months before I could do anything useful on bass but it will come in the end.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1457435630' post='2998440']
I can't imagine anything better than playing with my son, but playing with anyone else is just a blast if you never expected to be doing it. If you play in bands you have all the contacts to make that happen.

[/quote]

Thanks for he advice Phil

Yeh, i do think it'll be great when he can play straight 8ths and we can jam along together. I think he will get a real kick out of that.

With or Without you was going to be the first song i pushed him towards.