Why become a member? ×

Join my band advice

Twincam

Ok placed an ad this morning found someone interested in jamming and hopefully forming a band. Doing punk type stuff. Oddly enough we messaged each other at the same time haha.
Had a good initial message.
I then suggested we meet up for a pint talk a bit about music more etc in our home town centre. All good there.

I'm wondering what would then be the best way to approach this maybe agree on some tunes to jam learn as many as we can but not a confusing amount as we are both relatively inexperienced. And then just have a jam.

I'm also a bit wary about meeting anyone or telling them about any equipment I may have. It's maybe best to check the other guy put and not mention to much what I have or any value etc.

Any other advice? I must say feeling very nervous it's not often these days I go out and meet anyone new, but I think it will be good for me as well as playing. Hope he won't be a nutter ha

It'll be fine, it's easy to talk to people you've got something in common with, just chat about the bands you like, find some common ground, I also finds it puts people at ease if you don't big yourself up to much, a bit of good natured self depreciation usually goes down well

In normal situations I'm a bit lacking in the social skills department, but with the right musicians I can get on with them easily and have lots to talk about. And finding the right musicians is what this is all about. Don't worry about gear. Away from Basschat no-one really cares what you have, so long as you can play it sufficiently well to do the music you want and it works reliably.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1456837676' post='2992694']
so long as you can play it sufficiently well to do the music you want.
[/quote]

Well that is another question! Lol, it's punk I'm sure I will manage.
Also got an offer from an acoustic group too that do Beatles and Eagles etc I should be ok there too for the most part. But will see where this punk thing goes as it sounds more ideal for me to get started with.
One good thing about me I will give any genre of music a go, so I'm really not limited that way, just limited in experience.

Good luck, glad you are getting out there and giving it a go. Sure you will come across a few odd bods on the way, just be honest in your expectations and you will be fine. Don't take it too seriously and remember to have fun :-)

Jas

One thing that helps relax me and reduces my nerves when auditioning for a new band, is to treat it as a two way audition. So I go there thinking about what the band is like, what are the people like, how good are they etc. Not, what will they think I'm like. If it doesn't work out, nothing is lost and it wasn't meant to be.

Its still an anxious time for a musician at any level.

Jas

From personal experience, the first time I responded to one of these ads, we all met at a local Music Shop that also had rehearsal rooms for a coffee and to discuss what everyone expected to get from it. This shop then became our base for rehearsals too. That band did fold after a few months but at least everything was relaxed and fun. My current band (which was also the next one) was based on a bit of a discussion by email and then meeting up for a 'very relaxed' interview at the scout hut the band used for rehearsals - this was for an existing band though and not a new one.
So in summary, I would say see if you get on with the people and if you do, just go for it. My playing has improved no end since playing with others and we still only do it for the fun at the moment (and probably for the foreseeable future too).

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456837468' post='2992689']
No need to mention equipment except, yes.. I have a bass... yes.. I have an amp.
[/quote]

My thoughts too. If he's really interested in just meeting a bass player, he'll just want to make sure you can play, and that you've got a bass and a gigable amp, and maybe own transport.. No need to mention brands or equipment value. If it's still a concern after your first meet, maybe take a Squier along to a jam, rather than a Fender for example

Most of all - just chat about influences and find songs you'd both like to have a go at. Keep it simple & fun for now - it's just a jam that may lead somewhere. And lastly, good luck, :)

PS. Let us know how you get on

EDIT: Just want to second ribbetingfrog's comment too - there's nothing like having to learn a few songs, and a jam or rehearsal in a full band, to get you up to speed. Also, play them at an open mic night too

Edited by Marc S