Why become a member? ×

Gated (synthy) fuzz that works well with ACTIVE basses? Recommendations please?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

I'm on the market for a gated (synthy) fuzz that works well with active basses.

When I was a passive man, my weapon of choice used to be the Zvex Woolly Mammoth; however, it's become common knowledge that they don't work so well with active circuitry. I've found this to be true [i]and[/i] false; the tone is still great, but the 'pinch' (gate control) doesn't appear to be effective anymore.

Any recommendations?
Cheers.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1456795749' post='2992379']
Hi all.

I'm on the market for a gated (synthy) fuzz that works well with active basses.

When I was a passive man, my weapon of choice used to be the Zvex Woolly Mammoth; however, it's become common knowledge that they don't work so well with active circuitry. I've found this to be true [i]and[/i] false; the tone is still great, but the 'pinch' (gate control) doesn't appear to be effective anymore.

Any recommendations?
Cheers.
[/quote]

Why doesn't the Zvex Woolly Mammoth work properly with active basses?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1456908683' post='2993339']

Why doesn't the Zvex Woolly Mammoth work properly with active basses?
[/quote]

Something to do with the Mammoth wanting to see high impedance, which active basses tend not to have.

To the OP, I've had both the Mastotron and the Oxide and both work wpvery well with active bass

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1457011407' post='2994436']
My old Mammoth didn't like my Warwick, it sounded really thin and reedy.
[/quote]

So did mine, with any transistor stage / buffer before it. It likes to see a direct connection to the pickups. There are some clones around that work around this though.

The TAFM (smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine) is a good choice, as is the Malekko Diabolik.

I also have a Lucid Audio Fuzzopotamus for sale which is a very bass heavy tweaked fuzz face with a gate control and another knob to adjust for active/passive basses. I've never actually used it with an active bass come to think of it, if I get time I'll try and make a couple of clips to see if it floats your boat!

Edited by dannybuoy