Why become a member? ×

Reasons for not going micro?

Jaybeevee

All this lightweight bashing is getting pretty worn out...

FFS, everytime anybody starts a thread about Class-D/Neo gear it brings out an anti-lightweight angry mob armed with torches, pitchforks and banners with the word "HEFT" written...

There's no better sound, there's no better gear, there's no better tone. Tone Nirvana is diferent for everybody and it's achievable from diferent bits of gear depending on personal taste and tonal preferences.

I have an idea. Let´s try something new and turn the tables for a bit. Let me talk a bit about Valve Amps...

Valve amps are cr*p!
It's impossible to get a good clean tone from them. With the volume knob past 1 they start to distort and making farty noises, no definition and detail whatsoever.
They are very expensive and require constant maintenance, wich is also expensive.
They are big an bulky, are a pain in the b*t to carry and take too much storage space. Best way to carry them is to get an even bigger rack to store, thus adding to the total weight! Health problems normally come with them, normally back issues and hernias.
They are very sensitive to active basses and are hard to get a great match with anything other than a Precision.
Even though they are big and heavy they are the most sissy amps in the market, if you have the misfortune to knock one while going through a door or drop it just a few cm from the ground the valves pack up and you're left without an amp for you gig...

So... will you burn me in a stick or can you see my reasoning?

Of course i don't really feel this way about Valve or SS amps, i've had them, enjoyed them, played with them and settled with my current Class-D for my personal tonal preferences. I don't go on knocking everybody that starts a thread about Valve/SS amps just because "my gear is the best sound i've ever had so it has to be better than your gear"...

My 2p.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456246946' post='2987030']
All this lightweight bashing is getting pretty worn out...

FFS, everytime anybody starts a thread about Class-D/Neo gear it brings out an anti-lightweight angry mob armed with torches, pitchforks and banners with the word "HEFT" written...

There's no better sound, there's no better gear, there's no better tone. Tone Nirvana is diferent for everybody and it's achievable from diferent bits of gear depending on personal taste and tonal preferences.

I have an idea. Let´s try something new and turn the tables for a bit. Let me talk a bit about Valve Amps...

Valve amps are cr*p!
It's impossible to get a good clean tone from them. With the volume knob past 1 they start to distort and making farty noises, no definition and detail whatsoever.
They are very expensive and require constant maintenance, wich is also expensive.
They are big an bulky, are a pain in the b*t to carry and take too much storage space. Best way to carry them is to get an even bigger rack to store, thus adding to the total weight! Health problems normally come with them, normally back issues and hernias.
They are very sensitive to active basses and are hard to get a great match with anything other than a Precision.
Even though they are big and heavy they are the most sissy amps in the market, if you have the misfortune to knock one while going through a door or drop it just a few cm from the ground the valves pack up and you're left without an amp for you gig...

So... will you burn me in a stick or can you see my reasoning?

Of course i don't really feel this way about Valve or SS amps, i've had them, enjoyed them, played with them and settled with my current Class-D for my personal tonal preferences. I don't go on knocking everybody that starts a thread about Valve/SS amps just because "my gear is the best sound i've ever had so it has to be better than your gear"...

My 2p.
[/quote]

I think you should be relaxed about people's opinions, and have faith in your own :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1456247226' post='2987039']
I think you should be relaxed about people's opinions, and have faith in your own :-)
[/quote]

I'm a very tolerant person, believe me, i couldn't care less about what other people do or think. I'm just tired of having to scroll down the same old posts looking for some usefull info...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456246946' post='2987030']...
It's impossible to get a good clean tone from them. With the volume knob past 1 they start to distort and making farty noises, no definition and detail whatsoever....
[/quote]

Ah. You've not played through a Hiwatt, then, eh..? You're right, though; they're heavy. Very heavy. Not so fragile in a flight case, but even heavier of course. Still, if one wants clean, to the roof, some folks find 'em worth lugging around.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456248198' post='2987053']
I'm a very tolerant person, believe me, i couldn't care less about what other people do or think. I'm just tired of having to scroll down the same old posts looking for some usefull info...
[/quote]

Given how you feel, can I suggest it might have been wise to give a thread called '[i]Reasons for [b]not[/b] going micro?[/i]' a fairly wide berth..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456248231' post='2987057']
Ah. You've not played through a Hiwatt, then, eh..? You're right, though; they're heavy. Very heavy. Not so fragile in a flight case, but even heavier of course. Still, if one wants clean, to the roof, some folks find 'em worth lugging around.

[/quote]

I believe you, don't know if you missed the point of my post or not but i was just putting things in another perspective for those who constantly defend the all mighty "heft". ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1456248303' post='2987060']
Given how you feel, can I suggest it might have been wise to give a thread called '[i]Reasons for [b]not[/b] going micro?[/i]' a fairly wide berth..?
[/quote]

That's actually a good idea! Do you think my inbox will be filled with hate mail very fast? Can i get some extra storage space? :D

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456248404' post='2987064']
...just putting things in another perspective for those who constantly defend the all mighty "heft". ;)
[/quote]

I'll defend the almighty heft to my dying day, but you don't necessarily get it from all-valve amps exclusively.
...It's just a lot more likely, that's all. ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1456248303' post='2987060']
[/quote]

Ah, but - the thread title ends in a question mark.

Here's my general pounds worth:

Everyone is different, but for me, lifting my gear (no one else does) it has to be as light as sensibly possible. I've never had a valve bass amp and I don't think I ever will. That's my opinion though.....and it might change. I've had a few traditional solid state amps, and they've never been outrageously heavy.

I've had few digital amps and they've all been good, even the Ashdown Superfly and the Subway D-800 is the pinnacle so far for me. That might change sometime as well....

If weight isn't a problem, then buy whatever you fancy.

D.

PS - and heft is a good word!

Edited by deksawyer

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1456249006' post='2987078']
If weight isn't a problem, then buy whatever you fancy.
[/quote]

Weight is an issue for me, but I couldn't handle the (IMO) compromise. Yep, I'm playing for the audience, but I'm playing for me too.

Thank flip the likes of the Walkabout and AG500 exist, otherwise I'd go a bit loopy.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1456248404' post='2987064']
I believe you, don't know if you missed the point of my post or not but i was just putting things in another perspective for those who constantly defend the all mighty "heft". ;)
[/quote]

No problem, it's just another excuse for posting a pic of our Hiwatt..! :rolleyes: :lol: