Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Wedge cab?

Kiwi

[quote name='ped' post='290669' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:01 AM']I noticed yesterday that the new Eden nemesis combos are wedge shaped. Off-topic I know, but not the most off topic thing I noticed yesterday.[/quote]
I'd prefer to keep the Genz Benz head to be honest. Maybe the BFM wedge is worth a look. Might have to find a friendly joiner to knock it up I guess, given I live in a flat.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='290848' date='Sep 24 2008, 01:57 PM']Hopefully at some point next year Eminence will have a new neo 12" woofer available, which I'm planning to make a compact woofer+mid cab with. With a cab that small I think I'd build in some kind of tilt facilty because it would often be used on small stages or in rehearsals.

Alex[/quote]
My neox has got a tilt back facility

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='290714' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:41 AM']Maybe the BFM wedge is worth a look.[/quote]

If you are talking about the wedghorn 10, its [i]massive[/i]....if you are talking about the standard wedgehorn, it wont do for bass backline in my opinion.

This is one of my 1x15 monitors next to the standard wedghorn which is small

Why not try a kickback combo if its just for up close and personal.....

An alternative I tried that worked years ago was is to make a wedge seat for a 2x10 to rest in.

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='291033' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:00 PM']If you are talking about the wedghorn 10, its [i]massive[/i]....[/quote]I wouldn't say 4 cu ft and 35 pounds is massive, though it's not exactly a shrimp either. But if you want to go low and loud small isn't part of the equation.

[quote]But if you want to go low and loud small isn't part of the equation.[/quote]

Sorry for what is potentially an off topic question, what if you wanted (hypothetically) to go low and small? From my limited understanding, it seems like that would also be difficult, as 'lows' are most easily achieved in the real world by increased cab volume. Is this correct?

CK, what sort of angle would you be after in order to get the cab pointing at your ears? w.r.t. floor...

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='291106' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:17 PM']CK, what sort of angle would you be after in order to get the cab pointing at your ears? w.r.t. floor...[/quote]
I was OK with the GK wedge combo - whatever angle that was? 30 degrees?

There may be a good reason why this would not work, but could you not feasibly have an angled stand made for a given cabinet to yield your preferred angle? Something that would ensure the amp was secure at whatever angle, e.g. a metal frame/brace, wooden frame with a right angle cut into it etc.

I'm sure I'd seen someone with a GK combo and extension speaker together with an angled stand for both to direct their cones more at his eardrums so I'm sure such things already exist, but the wooden block/frame idea would be a lot cheaper.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='291121' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:31 PM']There may be a good reason why this would not work, but could you not feasibly have an angled stand made for a given cabinet to yield your preferred angle? Something that would ensure the amp was secure at whatever angle, e.g. a metal frame/brace, wooden frame with a right angle cut into it etc.

I'm sure I'd seen someone with a GK combo and extension speaker together with an angled stand for both to direct their cones more at his eardrums so I'm sure such things already exist, but the wooden block/frame idea would be a lot cheaper.

Mark[/quote]
Sure and its a good suggestion, but its another bit of kit I have to carry if i did go that route. :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='291106' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:17 PM']Sorry for what is potentially an off topic question, what if you wanted (hypothetically) to go low and small? From my limited understanding, it seems like that would also be difficult, as 'lows' are most easily achieved in the real world by increased cab volume. Is this correct?[/quote]
Low, loud, small. I beleive the rule is you can have any 2 but not the 3rd. So if you want small and low, loud will be difficult. The cab I'm about to start building myself (after a well earned holiday!!) is going to be small and loud. I.e. not got great lf extension but got a peak spl of something like 106dB at 110Hz (IIRC). But for my monitoring purposes on stage, it's what I like.

CK's requirements are probably somewhat different from that, plus he wants it to look like a lump of cheese :)

A couple of comments on previous posts -

My first rig was a fender 1 by 15 combo, and I built a tilt-back stand for it. It was designed to fold flat, like a deck chair, and to fit within the grill recess of the cab, so with a strap round the cab, it added protection to the cab front, and it was not an extra item to carry.

As alexcaber suggested, don't support the front edge, put something behind it to stop it falling over. My frame formed a capital L with a diagonal so the cab could sit on the frame and lean back against it. I'll try and sketch it out if anyone wants further information.

With regard to the BFM Wedgehorn 10, when tilted back, it sits as tall and as wide as a 1 by 15 cab. Great on a big stage, but probably too big for smaller venues.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='291106' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:17 PM']Sorry for what is potentially an off topic question, what if you wanted (hypothetically) to go low and small? From my limited understanding, it seems like that would also be difficult, as 'lows' are most easily achieved in the real world by increased cab volume. Is this correct?[/quote]

Small, loud, low - pick any two. There are plenty of home-cinema subs that go very low despite being very small - but they can't play very loud. The main difference between these speakers and those in a typical bass cab is that the cones are far heavier and the suspension much stiffer, which allows a lowering of Vas whilst keeping Fs the same. (Though a typical home sub has a much lower Fs than a bass guitar speaker anyway). By doing this you substantially decrease the reference efficiency and thus the sensitivity. This is also how Acme cabs manage to produce such deep lows from relatively small cabs.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='291111' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:22 PM']I was OK with the GK wedge combo - whatever angle that was? 30 degrees?[/quote]

So a taller speaker with better off-axis response (midrange driver) and a small degree of tilt will be just as effective at getting the midrange to your ears but with fewer problems from directing so much sound at the ceiling.

[quote name='crez5150' post='291361' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:37 PM']Hmmm ....... well I use a JBL SRX712M which is plenty loud enough (800w RMS) in a really compact wedge.[/quote]

Wattage is not a measure of loudness!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='291475' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:12 AM']So a taller speaker with better off-axis response (midrange driver) and a small degree of tilt will be just as effective at getting the midrange to your ears but with fewer problems from directing so much sound at the ceiling.[/quote]
I couldn't say until I'd tried one, in principal it might work but I couldn't say for sure. Principles don't actually take into account the sound of a drummers cymbals, having to compete with a vocal monitor being pointed directly at ones ears for most of the performance or having a sound man who turns up the sub bass to cater for room acoustics at one venue and turns it down at another. The GK wedge worked really well.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='291475' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:12 AM']Wattage is not a measure of loudness![/quote]
But it might sound loud to him regardless of the wattage.