Why become a member? ×

Why Americans love The Beatles

Happy Jack

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1456769605' post='2992087']
Saw an interview with Neil Sedaka on BBC4. He said that the moment the Beatles (and the Stones) arrived his career and many others like him (Connie Francis, Pat Boone etc) just stopped! Dead. From earning huge amounts of money (in those days) he ended up touring northern working mens clubs in England which were not for the weak minded. His experience was that the Beatles impact was enormous in the US and changed everything for ever! And he should know cos hes a pretty smart fella.
[/quote]

Depends what you call "Stopped dead" I suppose and who the audience was that he tailored his comment for. Growing up in the 70s I can remember him being on TOTP a few times and "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and "Laughter In The Rain" being two of his 70s hits. That's just from memory.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1456768660' post='2992065']
( btw does anyone know if this was actually true or not? Depends on the definition of 'popular' I suppose?).
[/quote]

The way I remember it, he said it as an impromptu joke, but still based on factual numbers. Those numbers could be sales numbers, like Bible sales vs. Beatles sales, but I don't remember that detail.
I'd guess it's exactly that though.

Edited by BassTractor

Saw an interview with Neil Sedaka on BBC4. He said that the moment the Beatles (and the Stones) arrived his career and many others like him (Connie Francis, Pat Boone etc) just stopped! Dead. From earning huge amounts of money (in those days) he ended up touring northern working mens clubs in England which were not for the weak minded. His experience was that the Beatles impact was enormous in the US and changed everything for ever! And he should know cos hes a pretty smart fella.
[/quote]

Same for the likes of Lonnie Donegan. Almost overnight, panto beckoned.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1456769868' post='2992092']
Depends what you call "Stopped dead" I suppose and who the audience was that he tailored his comment for. Growing up in the 70s I can remember him being on TOTP a few times and "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and "Laughter In The Rain" being two of his 70s hits. That's just from memory.
[/quote]
You are right. Neil Sedaka is a survivor.. Like most artists with longevity he reinvented himself a number of times. "Breaking up" 70s version was a slowed down cover of his original 60s tune. What was striking though was how clean cut he was (and Boone and Connie Friancis) and then look at the Beatles who were pretty rough looking/sounding in comparison - the US seemed to love this.

Lennon said The Beatles are more popular than Jesus to an English journalist and was reported as such in England, never caused a mumour (and he was probably right as well) then it got reprinted in the USA and all hell broke loose, because some our transatlantic cousins are a tad excitable about that sort of thing, the Beatles are still more popular than Jesus, based on how long and numerous Beatles threads are on Basschat anyway

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1456770423' post='2992111']
............then look at the Beatles who were pretty rough looking/sounding in comparison - the US seemed to love this.[/quote]

Probably a slightly more acceptable image to the US mainstream than the Stones of the time, and "The Animals" certainly didn't live up to their name image-wise in the same year as The Beatles first appearance..

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1456771154' post='2992128']
Lennon said The Beatles are more popular than Jesus to an English journalist and was reported as such in England, never caused a mumour (and he was probably right as well) then it got reprinted in the USA and all hell broke loose, because some our transatlantic cousins are a tad excitable about that sort of thing, the Beatles are still more popular than Jesus, based on how long and numerous Beatles threads are on Basschat anyway
[/quote]

Heres a bit more on the subject.
[url="http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/03/04/how-does-a-beatle-live-by-maureen-cleave/"]http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/03/04/how-does-a-beatle-live-by-maureen-cleave/[/url]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1456769597' post='2992084']

Yeah - I noticed; items like (once again)[b] your opinion[/b] "not being ooen to discussion".
[/quote]

I take a hard line on some issues.I don't mean to be a jerk and I respect the opinions of others even if I don't want to hear it.

Blue

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1456780356' post='2992282']

Heres a bit more on the subject.
[url="http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/03/04/how-does-a-beatle-live-by-maureen-cleave/"]http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/03/04/how-does-a-beatle-live-by-maureen-cleave/[/url][/quote]

Yeah, I was only around 9 or 10 years old and John's statement was really taken out of context over. And I think that it was more the folks south of the Mason Dixon line that freaked out.

I'm not a southerner.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

I never heard that story. However, it's sure was the way it seemed at the time.

It was a huge cultural social change and The Beatles certainly caused or initiated the change.

The invasion closed the door on so many careers and opened it for others.

Blue

Edited by blue

Some perspective on 'Beatlemania' ...

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/29/beatlemania-screamers-fandom-teenagers-hysteria"]Beatlemania: 'the screamers' and other tales of fandom ...[/url]

... and yes, I was there; it could have been any group of that era who rode that wave up to the Ed Sullivan Show. It was the Beatles; lucky for them. In the UK, at that time, there were a whole lot of similar, sometimes better, groups; they were the ones that drew the lucky straw. It's not the Beatles that changed the world, it was the music industry and television that created the 'hype' that, until then, had been impossible to do on such a scale. They happened to be in the right place at the right time.
This takes nothing away from their individual and collective creations, but they themselves were unable to control what happened. It's no big deal that it was them or another. History is always written by the victors, anyway, so if it had been another group, we'd have folks 'worshipping' The Hollies, or The Pretty Things (they were both far more [i]avant garde[/i], too...). Them or another; at the time there was little in it. As for what happened after that fateful broadcast... It's almost irrelevant, as the die had already been cast.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456799205' post='2992383']

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/29/beatlemania-screamers-fandom-teenagers-hysteria"]Beatlemania: 'the screamers' and other tales of fandom ...[/url]

They happened to be in the right place at the right time.[/quote]

In the right place at the right time with the;

1. Right look
2. Right age
3. Right resources and team
4. Right material
5. Right plan
6. Right experience
7. Right attitude

Not saying your perspective isn't on point, because I think it is.

I'm merely adding a few other elements that some of those other groups shared as well. But maybe not, I.don't know.We didn't have other bands at the time that might have reflected what you guys had.

BTW,your post has given me the best perspective on how different their impact was in England and why.Thanks Dad

Blue

Edited by blue

. . . the Beatles are still more popular than Jesus, based on how long and numerous Beatles threads are on Basschat anyway
[/quote]

Ah, but on BC we're warned off talking about religion so that gives the Fabs a big advantage. Mind you, given some of the reverence for them in these here parts, perhaps they should be regarded as a religion in their own right ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456799205' post='2992383']
... and yes, I was there; it could have been any group of that era who rode that wave up to the Ed Sullivan Show. It was the Beatles.............[/quote]
Damn! You were doing so well - until you [i]"gone and spoiled it all, by saying something stoopid like"[/i]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456799205' post='2992383']Just sayin'.[/quote]

the Beatles are still more popular than Jesus, based on how long and numerous Beatles threads are on Basschat anyway
[/quote]

They would have to be more popular than Jesus on here because we are BC......