Why become a member? ×

I want to have my cake and eat it too (compressors)

Guinness21

I' on the hunt for a compressor - I want something for functionality & for a super fat/magic tone. Done a load of reading on ovnilab.com so no need to recommend it.

I want something between the 2 extremes - I don't want the likes of the diamond bass comp which is only good for tone, and I don't want something like the MXR which is completely transparent and a good limiter. I want both! :facepalm: I love the FEA DE-CL & Opti-fet, but the whole 12 month waiting list is a bit of a turn off. Doing a lot of reading on ovnilab.com, I think an optical compressor will provide the tone I'm after? The Effectrode sounds great but I want something that will run on 9v.

These are the 7 pedals I'm thinking about:

- [b]Darkglass Supersymmetry[/b] - meant to have a nice tone, but apparently the actually compression effect is subtle which I'm not sure I like
- [b]Ovnifx Smoothie[/b] - seems like a good compressor. I don't know whether it enhances your tone unless you adjust the tone function, or has a baked in sound ala Diamond BCP-1.
- [b]Daring Audio Phat Beam [/b]- bit of a wacky pedal and doesn't work as a conventional compressor (read Bongo's review), but apparently capable of a super thick sound while also being a good compressor.
- [b]Okko Coca[/b] - again not a conventional compressor, it raises the level of your quieter sounds without reducing the level of louder ones. Apparently can produce a fat & dark sound but don't know how well it would work as a peak limiter.
- [b]Tortenmann TK-23[/b] - I think this is on the dirty compressor side of things. Apparently sounds thick and old-school which appeals, but the ratio is fixed at 2:1 so it won't act as a peak limiter.
- [b]Dedalo Gorila[/b] - If I'm honest I don't know all that much about this pedal. I know it's an optical comp that sounds kind of warm, other than that would love more info about this pedal.
- [b]Origin Cali76 CB[/b] - I've read a lot of conflicting stuff about this one. Some say it's crisp and transparent and nothing like its big brother, others say it adds magic to their tone. So would love some more opinions on it. Not sure how well it would do at 9v with my stingray bass.

So there you have it, apologies for the essay :dash1: Anybody have any experience with any of the above? Or can you recommend something I've not listed (Somebody literally 5 seconds ago on TB suggested the Demeter comp)? Things to consider is I have a high-output bass (stingray) and want something that will fine on 9v.

Edited by Guinness21

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455621886' post='2980706']
I' on the hunt for a compressor - I want something for functionality & for a super fat/magic tone. Done a load of reading on ovnilab.com so no need to recommend it.

I want something between the 2 extremes - I don't want the likes of the diamond bass comp which is only good for tone, and I don't want something like the MXR which is completely transparent and a good limiter. I want both! :facepalm: I love the FEA DE-CL & Opti-fet, but the whole 12 month waiting list is a bit of a turn off. Doing a lot of reading on ovnilab.com, I think an optical compressor will provide the tone I'm after? The Effectrode sounds great but I want something that will run on 9v.

These are the 7 pedals I'm thinking about:

- [b]Darkglass Supersymmetry[/b] - meant to have a nice tone, but apparently the actually compression effect is subtle which I'm not sure I like
- [b]Ovnifx Smoothie[/b] - seems like a good compressor. I don't know whether it enhances your tone unless you adjust the tone function, or has a baked in sound ala Diamond BCP-1.
- [b]Daring Audio Phat Beam [/b]- bit of a wacky pedal and doesn't work as a conventional compressor (read Bongo's review), but apparently capable of a super thick sound while also being a good compressor.
- [b]Okko Coca[/b] - again not a conventional compressor, it raises the level of your quieter sounds without reducing the level of louder ones. Apparently can produce a fat & dark sound but don't know how well it would work as a peak limiter.
- [b]Tortenmann TK-23[/b] - I think this is on the dirty compressor side of things. Apparently sounds thick and old-school which appeals, but the ratio is fixed at 2:1 so it won't act as a peak limiter.
- [b]Dedalo Gorila[/b] - If I'm honest I don't know all that much about this pedal. I know it's an optical comp that sounds kind of warm, other than that would love more info about this pedal.
- [b]Origin Cali76 CB[/b] - I've read a lot of conflicting stuff about this one. SOme say it's crips and transparent and nothing like its big brother, others say it adds magic to their tone. SO would love some more opinions on it. Not sure how well it would do at 9v with my stingray bass.

So there you have it, apologies for the essay :dash1: Anybody have any experience with any of the above? Or can you recommend something I've not listed (Somebody literally 5 seconds ago on TB suggested the Demeter comp)? Things to consider is I have a high-output bass (stingray) and want something that will fine on 9v.
[/quote]

I've got the Cali CB, adds a lot of warmth and with the blend you can really compress your sound but still blend back some original and use the hpf to add in a bit more focused lows.

Really good comp it's an always on pedal for me

It replaced my old cali76-g, with the added features and size difference it was a no brainer to go to the CB

Andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1455624006' post='2980751']
I've got the Cali CB, adds a lot of warmth and with the blend you can really compress your sound but still blend back some original and use the hpf to add in a bit more focused lows.

Really good comp it's an always on pedal for me

It replaced my old cali76-g, with the added features and size difference it was a no brainer to go to the CB

Andy
[/quote]

Do you run it at 9v?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455624092' post='2980754']
I know you said you don't want the Diamond, but have you actually tried one..?
It really is a magic box and you get a super-fat, lush, glossy tone. :)
[/quote]

I haven't, I know I'd like it. Do you know the website pedalboardplanner.com? Pedaltrain own it, I did a bit of work on the site for them and in return they gave me a PT mini & a Pedaltrain Volto. The volto can't handle the BCP-1.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455624347' post='2980758']
I haven't, I know I'd like it. Do you know the website pedalboardplanner.com? Pedaltrain own it, I did a bit of work on the site for them and in return they gave me a PT mini & a Pedaltrain Volto. The volto can't handle the BCP-1.
[/quote]

That's a shame. But I think you owe it to yourself to hear one if you can. Good luck in your quest. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455624560' post='2980760']
That's a shame. But I think you owe it to yourself to hear one if you can. Good luck in your quest. :)
[/quote]

Thanks man, it does sound good but not that versatile, plus if i was to power it separately there would be no point in using the volto. Somebody on TB suggested the ovnifx smoothie is in the same ball park, but I don't know if you get that magic tone like the Diamond.

Edited by Guinness21

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1455626908' post='2980802']
Yep I run it at 9v
[/quote]

Interesting, thanks for that. The review on ovnilab really threw me off the compact bass because he described it as sounding 'bright, hard, punchy sound with more highs' and said it was the exact opposite of the Darkglass. Going off the comparison he does at the end of the compact bass review the smoothie sounds more like my cup of tea, but then you recommended it for reasons I'd want :blink:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1455628366' post='2980819']
Earthquaker Devices 'The Warden' is a great optical pedal - tone control too. Not that you need another option…. :blink:
[/quote]

Hahaha well tbf I asked for more suggestions! I considered the Warden and haven't ruled it out, but Bongo on ovnilab described it's tone as clear and neutral...

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455628038' post='2980815']

Interesting, thanks for that. The review on ovnilab really threw me off the compact bass because he described it as sounding 'bright, hard, punchy sound with more highs' and said it was the exact opposite of the Darkglass. Going off the comparison he does at the end of the compact bass review the smoothie sounds more like my cup of tea, but then you recommended it for reasons I'd want :blink:
[/quote]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VikwVu5qHO0

If you listen through good head phones this demo shows some sounds, rather than trying to go of words

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1455628932' post='2980828']
[url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VikwVu5qHO0"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=VikwVu5qHO0[/url]

If you listen through good head phones this demo shows some sounds, rather than trying to go of words

Andy
[/quote]

I'm at work atm but will definitely do this later.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1455631509' post='2980861']
I've just noticed there's a Diamond comp Jr. Smaller enclosure, North facing jacks, normal 9v supply ready. I've got a 3Leaf PWNZOR incoming or I'd probably have opted for one of these.
[/quote]

That's a compact version of the guitar pedal - if they made the bass equivalent though I'd definitely be interested! The PWNZOR's been discontinued right?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455634147' post='2980903']
That's a compact version of the guitar pedal - if they made the bass equivalent though I'd definitely be interested! The PWNZOR's been discontinued right?
[/quote]

Yes the PWNZOR was discontinued some time ago.

Just been listening to sound clips of the diamond BCP1, specifically at the differences in the eq settings and there's not much in it really. The tilt eq is only for flavour and doesn't have a huge range of boost/cut. Would be easily modded to the bass setting for someone with a steady hand!

So I actually emailed Diamond about the idea, this was their response:
"There's certainly been interest from bassists regarding a smaller version of the bass comp. It would be a little trickier to do as some of the caps used in the bass comp don't currently have a direct surface mount equivalent that we could use to save space however we may dig into this after we finish some other projects we're working on and see what we can come up with. Thanks for emailing and sharing your input!"

I'm going to recommend the Boss LMB3, because it's the only pedal I've kept in use every day. It does limiting without issues, I use it mostly for that, both at home and in live use, but the enhance function is also nice if used in moderation. It won't color your tone much compared to a boutique comp, but it does sweeten things a little bit, and you can pick them up used for about £35. I'd be the first to jump on something more expensive if I felt it was lacking in any way, but I haven't found a reason to stop using it yet.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1455639209' post='2980982']
I'm going to recommend the Boss LMB3, because it's the only pedal I've kept in use every day. It does limiting without issues, I use it mostly for that, both at home and in live use, but the enhance function is also nice if used in moderation. It won't color your tone much compared to a boutique comp, but it does sweeten things a little bit, and you can pick them up used for about £35. I'd be the first to jump on something more expensive if I felt it was lacking in any way, but I haven't found a reason to stop using it yet.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion man. Please don't think I'm a snob or anything because I've listed 'boutique' pedals, it's just so far the stuff that colours tone nicely and is also a good compressor has seemed to be that way. I'll definitely the LMB-3, though I think it might not colour my tone as much as I'm looking for.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455637352' post='2980955']
So I actually emailed Diamond about the idea, this was their response:
"There's certainly been interest from bassists regarding a smaller version of the bass comp. It would be a little trickier to do as some of the caps used in the bass comp don't currently have a direct surface mount equivalent that we could use to save space however we may dig into this after we finish some other projects we're working on and see what we can come up with. Thanks for emailing and sharing your input!"
[/quote]

See that sort of response really boils my piss... If they'd put 10% more in upfront they'd have 2 products, not 1.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1455639209' post='2980982']
[/quote]
I'm in this camp too. Ive tried several different ones and they have come and gone. The Boss remains though, and I've stopped looking at others.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Anybody have any experience with the following?[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Darkglass Supersymmetry[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Ovnifx Smoothie[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Daring Audio Phat Beam[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]- Okko Coca[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Dedalo Gorila[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Tortenmann TK-23[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Earthquaker Devices The Warden[/font][/color]

Add the TC Electronic Hyper Gravity (tweaked with the TonePrint editor) or if you aren't a fan of lots of knobs then I reckon the new Bass SpectraComp will be a winner.

TC have dropped a compressor based on the studio standard that is the M series processors in to a pedal and I think it's brilliant.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455704159' post='2981542']
The Hypergravity doesn't get good reviews on Talkbass, sounds like it doesn't colour the tone enough for what I want.
[/quote]

I guess it depends on what sort of colour you want? I mean, it can but the default settings are very clean. For example, rather than have to stick with what the designer gives you, you can build in your own EQ curve in to the preset, then save it should you want to change and come back to it. I've reviewed many a compressor pedal, so it'd be interesting to find out what TB doesn't like about it. YMMV IMHO etc etc etc