Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer - Anyone have one yet?

Sean

i don't know if you're any good with electronics, but you can buy chips that take +9V and turn it into + and -9V (effectively 18 volts), which is the same thing that the diago adaptors do. a couple of connections in and out, and possibly a few extra basic components, and that should be it.

one of [url="http://www.littlediode.com/components/ICL7660CBA_Integrated_Circuit_ICL_7660CPA_SMD.html"]these[/url] should work, datasheet [url="http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/078a/0900766b8078aebb.pdf"]here[/url].

I am waiting for a polarity reverse cable. Diago are out of stock and the one I ordered from Charlie Chandlers has not come yet so that must be out of stock too. Its really annoying that having spent loads on a power supply it did not come with all the cables I wanted.

I suppost this makes a good case for the Sansamp and EBS pedals - at least you can power them.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='310445' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:20 PM']When adaptors are so easy, cheap, and small, why the hell can't they just build them into the pedals?[/quote]

true thats a fair point, does anyone know the current draw of one of these? I've spoken to James @ diago about the 18v adaptor and so long as its not drawing more than 30ma (i think?) then it should work fine

[quote name='cheddatom' post='310445' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:20 PM']When adaptors are so easy, cheap, and small, why the hell can't they just build them into the pedals?[/quote]
Its often cos the people that make the pedal are c**ts who want you to use their adapter. The only way to find out the polarity of the DC for the Samson Airline wireless is to buy the adapter cos the connection on the pedal is not marked. Or ask me.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311613' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:00 PM']Its often cos the people that make the pedal are c**ts who want you to use their adapter. The only way to find out the polarity of the DC for the Samson Airline wireless is to buy the adapter cos the connection on the pedal is not marked. Or ask me.[/quote]

i'm going to be getting one in a few months, what's the polarity?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311613' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:00 PM']Its often cos the people that make the pedal are c**ts who want you to use their adapter. The only way to find out the polarity of the DC for the Samson Airline wireless is to buy the adapter cos the connection on the pedal is not marked. Or ask me.[/quote]

The other way of course is to rig one up yourself and if you blow it up send it back quickly under warranty ......B****R THINKING OUT LOUD AGAIN

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='319274' date='Oct 31 2008, 06:42 PM']Diago have been emailed, however I really need to find out the mA draw of the pedal :/[/quote]

If anybody lives in the SW18 I'd be happy to measure the current used by the unit - the real value not the declared value :)

I also have a Diago Voltage Pump that we can try.

[quote name='Finbar' post='319274' date='Oct 31 2008, 06:42 PM']Anyway - what about this?

[url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_Virtual_Battery.html"]http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRi...al_Battery.html[/url][/quote]

It is a cool idea but more expensive than the Diago Voltage Pump.

Yes, I'd rather not spend £50 when I can spend £10 either, but if it does prove to be a more effective solution, I'd go with it.

If you can measure the current though, that would be awfully swell!

EDIT:

After Diago's lengthy disclaimer about using non-Aguilar power supplies, I got told this at the bottom of the email reply:

Electrical:
18V
20 mA

So there we have it :) Diago's voltage pump is supposed to provide 30 mA at 18V, so I think we have a winner!

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='319399' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:20 PM']Yes, I'd rather not spend £50 when I can spend £10 either, but if it does prove to be a more effective solution, I'd go with it.

If you can measure the current though, that would be awfully swell!

EDIT:

After Diago's lengthy disclaimer about using non-Aguilar power supplies, I got told this at the bottom of the email reply:

Electrical:
18V
20 mA

So there we have it :) Diago's voltage pump is supposed to provide 30 mA at 18V, so I think we have a winner![/quote]

The Tone Hammer uses only 20mA? Are you 100% positive about that? It looks a very small amount of current.

bass_ferret - there are plenty of ways to power it :) Just looking for the BEST one :huh: I don't know anybody claiming that it is the best preamp ever either D: Haven't even tried mine yet!

Silent Fly - That is pasted directly from Aguilar's email. I have no reason to doubt them on that. Diago said to me independently of that that they reckoned the 30 mA from the 18v adapter would power most OD/preamp units. So I guess between the two of them they must be about right ;p

20mA seems right to me, it's only a preamp. it's not really doing very much, from a power consumption standpoint; basically just a few gain stages and a few filters.

in fact, the largest single current draw on there is probably the LED. and i still fail to see why they couldn't put a voltage converter in there themselves.