Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer - Anyone have one yet?

Sean

got mine from bass merchant last week. used it last night. if you go into amps, speakers etc., you'll see a lot of my old gear for sale.
absolutely brill.i use a '71 precision that's a bit of a dog but i thoroughly enjoyed using it. the tone hammer is quiet, articulate, loads of headroom and clean as clean can be at any volume. i'm not really clued up on sound enough to do a full review but this thing is ace.
ebs should be very worried; the tone hammer is half the price and i can't see the micro bass being twice as good.
recommended

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='305068' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:08 PM']i think il wait until bassmerchant have them back in stock rather than paying an extra £50 for being impatient! :huh:[/quote]

Oh, give me some credit, I didn't come in on the last boat! :huh: I paid £149 from The Gallery. I asked them to price match, which they did with no hesitation. :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='305146' date='Oct 12 2008, 11:56 PM']I'm more interested in the AGS than what the EBS has to offer, personally.[/quote]
I was very disappointed in the EBS and it's got way too many things going on - I like simple things. :)

with the price of the tone hammer being as low as it is, EBS should be worrying, big time.

i talked to alex at the gallery, he wouldnt price match £149 for me :), but he'd go as low as £162 shipped

Edited by BassManKev

Why should EBS be any more worried than sansamp or any of the other di box with tone controls sellers? OK the EBS is one of the most expensive but I am sure that deals are on offer for the EBS as well, but if you want cheaper then just hang about here cos it appears that a load of lemmings might be selling them to buy Aguillar Tone Hammers.

Why are you all in a rush to buy something you have not even tried just cos of the rep and the hype?

[quote name='church' post='288603' date='Sep 21 2008, 04:49 PM']ebs should be very worried; the tone hammer is half the price and i can't see the micro bass being twice as good.
recommended[/quote]
You need to go back to school mate - since when has 199 (listed price of Tone Hammer) been half of 299 (listed price of MBII)?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='305839' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:40 PM']You need to go back to school mate - since when has 199 (listed price of Tone Hammer) been half of 299 (listed price of MBII)?[/quote]
only place i can find the microbass II is at the gallery, for £299

bassmerchant do the tonehammer for £149 :)

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='305868' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:07 PM']Kev, remember that the outboard preamps are only for passive basses or instruments you can run passive. Can you bypass the preamp on your Ray? They don't do anything for an active bass, just overboost it.

Rich.[/quote]
yeah i know, if i went for one of these id be mainly wanting to try it for the AGS function
plus, i could be doing a little project with my stagg p bass that no bristolians wish to relieve me of...

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='305842' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:42 PM']only place i can find the microbass II is at the gallery, for £299

bassmerchant do the tonehammer for £149 :)[/quote]
MBII £258.21 at Thomman. If the Gallery will do 25% discount off the Tone Hammer to price match Bass Merchant they will offer some discount off the Microbass II as well. I paid £200 for my MBII so I got it for the same price the Gallery want for a Tone Hammer.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='306000' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:06 AM']Heh, Ferret - where is all this hype and hysteria? I've not read of any.[/quote]
Did you not read the title of this thread?

It happens all over basschat with various bits of gear - most recently with all the Genz Benz Shuttles bought without hearing - me included. But I did hear a GBE750 with the cabs I bought so I had more idea than most of what it would sound like. And I go through my EBS Microbass II so it sounds like my old EBS only a fraction of the weight. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='305868' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:07 PM']Kev, remember that the outboard preamps are only for passive basses or instruments you can run passive. Can you bypass the preamp on your Ray? They don't do anything for an active bass, just overboost it.

Rich.[/quote]
Nope. Cant speak for the Tone Hammer but I am quite happy running my active basses into the EBS. It does have a -10dB pad that helps.