Why become a member? ×

Orange ob1 500

thebassman

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455518258' post='2979684']
This would be a good start if you've not seen it already
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259224-orange-ob1-500-review/
[/quote]

Thanks, I did see that a while back, even added to the thread too.

I was hoping a few others might have more user experience by now.

I might have to get one and write my own.

Cheers
Thebassman

I've reviewed both the OB-1 and have also had the pleasure of reviewing the new OB-1 300 combo a few months before it was released to the world. The very first one in fact.

Follow the link in my signature to see it in action.

I've used one at a rehearsal studios a few times; I'd say they do sound nice though you are pretty much committing to "that" sound. I actually use it in a pop/rock band so only practically using a small % of its available tones (ie keeping it clean) which it does nicely and is easy to get a good (kind of vintage-y) tone but it feels to me like it's aimed more at the over-drive market (harder rock onwards) - I've tested out this side of the amp when waiting for the others etc... and feel it's where the amp excels. It will do slight break-up to full-on fuzz very well & covers most bases inbetween.

It feels like a nicely made amp & looks good though I don't really understand why they've made it rack-mountable when I'd have thought 80% of the users won't be using a rack - I think rack ears are a bit ugly if you're not using them, I would have preferred them to make the amp look nice without but have it easily converted (using detachable ears) if needed but that's just me - it's still a nice amp.

Had another go on one of these this week - they do the overdrive sound so well it's ridiculous, you can just start playing seemingly any random notes & they somehow come out sounding like an awesome riff - I was in the studio early so had it cranked up nice & loud, my (pop-rock) band mates arrived & didn't want to open the door because they thought some other band were in there!

I see they're bolting them into a cab to make a combo now too - look pretty good (if a little spendy).

I've been giving some thought to getting hold of an OB-1 500, it's the first rack head that I've seen in a while that has leapt out at me shouting 'Buy Me!' I'm a tad put off by the price tag, especially considering I'd need to factor in a 3U rack, plus a tuner of some sort. A few online retailers are doing interest-free credit at the moment, so maybe it's worth a punt.

• 4 months later...

I really need to have a good play on one of these.

It looks great, and in theory I think it must surely sound great, but I saw one used live for the first time this weekend and it seemed really weak and thin... Maybe it was just the way the person had it set.

Great sounding amps but definitely possible to set them up to sound less than stellar. There is a lot of range on the tone controls. A common mistake when using the footswitch is setting the clean and blended channels at unity so that when you switch the drive in it sounds too quiet.

/ [color=#000000][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The OB1 splits the input instrument signal into two separate paths. One side amplifies the clean signal, with all the clarity you would expect from Orange. /[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]I remember, back in the day, that one of the (alleged) reasons for the split between Orange and Matamp, was that the Mathias stuff was 'too clean'.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Doh?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] :ph34r:[/size][/font][/color]