Why become a member? ×

NCD - New Combo Day: Fender Rumble 500 V3

discreet

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1456233391' post='2986830']
I'm with Discreet: how hard could it have been to make the bloody things the same width?...rrrrrrgggggghhhhh.... :( :D
[/quote]

You can get a 2X10 ext cab and a 1X12 ext cab which are exactly the same width as the 500, so that's what I'd do - IF I were going down the ext cab route. However, having now played a few gigs with the 500, I can tell you that as a standalone combo it's a very loud box indeed and I'm seriously thinking about buying the 100 for tighter stages as it's much smaller and importantly, much lighter - less than 10kg - and in theory I could also use the 100 and the 500 together if I ever needed to... but they're different widths!

I'd refrain from stacking them to avoid my own and possibly other people's OCD being aggravated - I have two amp stands, so I'd put the 500 on one firing forward and have the 100 on the other, which is small monitor-type stand. All hypothetical of course, as I can't think of a situation where I'd need to use both together. If a venue were too big for the 500 it would surely have a decent PA, no?

Edited by discreet

Sorry, I only just saw the two posts regarding my stand.

It's one of [url="http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/mxs-a3.html?backp=2"]these [/url]

I have a strap that goes round the whole combo and stand as it doesn't look steady but it's never moved since I got it just over a year ago.

It folds flat and can go quite high. I have mine at it's highest setting so that it's closest to ear level.

I've also thought about an extension cab but haven't been in a situation where I needed it. When used as a monitor I have the input gain at 3 and the output at 3 - it's that loud. I had thought about getting a Rumble 200 for smaller gigs as I have trouble getting this quiet enough sometimes while still sounding good

Hmm. Used mine last night rehearsing with my loud rock band. In that room with that band, with or without a BF Supercompact in the mix, I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Got my Trace Elliot out of the car, sorted. Need to try it elsewhere with other bands but my rose tinted specs are off now. :unsure:

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1456409291' post='2988704']
Hmm. Used mine last night rehearsing with my loud rock band. In that room with that band, with or without a BF Supercompact in the mix, I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Got my Trace Elliot out of the car, sorted. Need to try it elsewhere with other bands but my rose tinted specs are off now.
[/quote]

That's a great shame - now I'm filled with lumps of guilt for recommending it to you. But sound is very subjective though, of course... one man's pleasure is another man's lashing with a knotted rope... but just for the record I'm still loving my Rumble 500, so much so in fact I'm going to buy a Rumble 100 for smaller gigs/tighter stages. But then I'm not currently in a rock band. Though I have heard a Rumble in a rock environment and it sounded great. To my ears, anyway. ;)

The good news is, if the worst comes to the worst you shouldn't have too much trouble moving it on if it really doesn't suit you.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1456409291' post='2988704']
Hmm. Used mine last night rehearsing with my loud rock band. In that room with that band, with or without a BF Supercompact in the mix, I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Got my Trace Elliot out of the car, sorted. Need to try it elsewhere with other bands but my rose tinted specs are off now. :unsure:
[/quote]I do know what you mean, I use a TE AH300 SMC GP7 with a Laney 4 x 10 and a 1 x 18 at the rehearsal room and I love the sound I get, the Rumble is not the same, nothing wrong with it just hasn't got the Trace Elliott sound, I still use the Rumble for gigs because it's so portable, at least till I can get my hands on a TE head anyway, wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456411917' post='2988753']
now I'm filled with lumps of guilt for recommending it to you.
[/quote]

To be fair, you didn't just recommend it to me, you just said how pleased you were with it - entirely different things.

Bastard.

:)

There is space in my life for this, I think. Just not that band.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1456424733' post='2988953']
Just searched for a review of these having played through one at the studio where we rehearse and found yours. Spot on with your comments - I couldn't get over how loud it was! Got me thinking it has...
[/quote]

Thanks, but don't buy one on the strength of my review - you may be disappointed. :lol:
Seriously though, they would be great at twice the price. ;)

Edited by discreet

My Fender Rumble v3 500 combo lasted less than 3 minutes at bedroom volume before it packed up working. It was straight back to GAK for a refund. Put me off them forever.
I've a secondhand Orange Terror Bass 500 and cab now and couldn't be happier.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1456429910' post='2989019']
My Fender Rumble v3 500 combo lasted less than 3 minutes at bedroom volume before it packed up working. It was straight back to GAK for a refund. Put me off them forever.
I've a secondhand Orange Terror Bass 500 and cab now and couldn't be happier.
[/quote]

Not to jump to Fender's defence but they must have shifted many thousands of these by now and at one point were out of stock everywhere. They are cheap for what they are and it's only inevitable that some of them will fail.

I was one of many who had a failed Ampeg PF500 but many are still gigging theirs very happily and there are others who have had failed Terror Bass amps.

I also agree that it's a completely different sound to a big manly rock rig. Prior to owning mine I had a Hartke LH1000 and Laney NX115 & NX410 and the sound was very grindy, loud and deep.

I have no doubt that the combo couldn't keep up with the big rig but it's a fraction of the size with a fraction of the speakers and many other things that couldn't be further from one another but on it's own it's loud enough for everything I do and sounds incredible with the Stingray & Yamaha. If I played in a rock band I'd get the matching 2x10" cab but I don't need it.

I'd describe the sound as tight, focussed and punchy but plug a different bass in and adjust a few controls and someone else could get flabby, indistinct and wooly. It also depends on what you're used to and if you're the kind of person who buys a new amp only to try to make it sound like your old one and are disappointed when it sounds nothing like the old one. It happens with amps and basses - I'm sure we're all guilty of it and one time or another

Edited by Delberthot