Why become a member? ×

Guitarist turns up with pedal that changes everything

Twigman

Just home from final practice before our 2 date trip to Portugal next weekend...

Our guitarist has a new toy.

A Boss DD-500 delay pedal...

What a difference a pedal makes.

This thing is fantastic compared to his old DD-3

We use a fair bit of delay and tempo based effects.
With the old pedal ,if the drummer drifted out of time with the guitar delay we lost it...and since he struggles playing to a click (he never bothers), playing to a delay meant we often were all over the place..

but this thing is magic...guitard can adjust delay time with his foot by tapping along on the pedal and it'll adjust the delay time according to the delay type programmed in the patch...that means we can have tempo changes and when we get to the bit that requires the delay it'll actually be in time. And he can select patches with his foot too...so he programmes a sequence of patsches to follow the set list and tada...every delay is in time!

I can honestly say this single pedal has made a huge difference to the way we sound and tonight we played better than ever!

Edited by Twigman

I was expecting to see a two word post when I clicked on the thread. 'Mute Switch'.

I jest of course and agree that when a band member nails a sound or a groove and it is perfect for the song, everything just sounds better for it!

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1454340476' post='2968708']
For some odd reason part of me was expecting a Korg Miku...
[/quote]

I'd love for our guitarist to bring that along!

Glad the guitarist in this case has found a pedal to improve not just his sound but the band's sound, seems pretty rare with many guitarists!

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1454285620' post='2968325']
Just home from final practice before our 2 date trip to Portugal next weekend...

Our guitarist has a new toy.

A Boss DD-500 delay pedal...

What a difference a pedal makes.

This thing is fantastic compared to his old DD-3

We use a fair bit of delay and tempo based effects.
With the old pedal ,if the drummer drifted out of time with the guitar delay we lost it...and since he struggles playing to a click (he never bothers), playing to a delay meant we often were all over the place..

but this thing is magic...guitard can adjust delay time with his foot by tapping along on the pedal and it'll adjust the delay time according to the delay type programmed in the patch...that means we can have tempo changes and when we get to the bit that requires the delay it'll actually be in time. And he can select patches with his foot too...so he programmes a sequence of patsches to follow the set list and tada...every delay is in time!

I can honestly say this single pedal has made a huge difference to the way we sound and tonight we played better than ever!
[/quote]

Tap tempo is fantastic... I've had a couple of Boss DD5s with FS5U tap pedals... sounds great even with a sloppy drummer

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1454339178' post='2968697']
Programmability and tap tempo are two essential features on any time-based effect. I haven't bothered with any device that doesn't include them since 1990.
[/quote]
... and I've never bothered!